Mortified

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Mortified

Postby Getupngo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:59 pm

Remember my wonderful trip to St. George to record interviews for 3 public radio freelance pieces? Well, I'll end up with only one. When I was there, my interview with the former governor didn't happen because she stood me up. That was not my fault.

BUT ... I just received my sound editing software, pulled up my interviews and found out that both of my major interviews on another story are, well, junk. Technical glitches -- Murphy's Law in action (especially relevant when the interviewees are now hundreds of miles away). So I only have one story, and I am absolutely mortified.

Absolutely.

Mortified.

It's a good thing I'm dealing with a news director who knows me and my work ... knows I am a pro (you'd think). She says she'll use me again ... but I am .... still .... absolutely ... mortified.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Re: Mortified

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:26 pm

So sorry you had those problems. Sounds like Murphy's Law is in full force for you, too.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Liz » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:41 pm

So sorry to hear about those troubles. Glad to know the news director supports you. Things can only get better.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:59 pm

So sorry, Janice. Unfortunately, no matter how mortified we are when they happen to us - they continue to happen to each and everyone of us at some point. (I know that isn't any solace to you right now, though). Hugs to you - and I'm glad that they realize that this was a Murphy's Law situation and you'll be used again.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Carolinagal » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:01 pm

Things happen, in spite of all we do. Don't let this get your spirits down, you've been so up, and we've all been so happy for you. The next time you give us a report of your work, it'll be great, Keep thinking positive !

Good Luck to you, Janice. Hugs

Carol
Carolinagal

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:02 am

I'm so sorry to hear that things didn't go as they should have, but you will do fine and a year from now it will be a faded memory. You know you are a pro and so does that news director, .... so..... get up and keep going. We love you no matter what happens! That's for sure!

Hugs!
Cedar518

Postby mtngal » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:53 am

Oh bummer that your interviews are gone! Similar things have happened to me with writing projects, but I was able to recreate.
Maybe a chance to get out and do some more interviews? Hope so!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Getupngo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:17 am

I'm also losing money ... because I can't get paid for what I don't submit. I've thought about jumping in my car and running back down there. But there's a BIG snowstorm ready to roar through here this weekend, with more trickling in throughout the week.

I did get my RV winterized (FINALLY) and so it's tucked in for the winter.
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:53 pm

Yes, be careful with the weather. We have blizzard warning for the Cascades and they are saying to just stay home! I'm sure this is part of the system that will make it you way and it is a doozy!
AlmostThere

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:33 pm

Murphy is such a drag. Sorry to hear about the interviews. You will bounce back from this and like you said, "the editor knows your work." It seems absolutely horrible right now but you will be able to look back as a learning experience. Good luck to you.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby Nasoosie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:53 pm

OK...I guess I just don't understand what 'technical glitches' have to do with a live, talented person doing an interview. And I am also ashamed to say I don't know what a public radio freelance piece is.

Do I understand correctly that you drove many miles to interview several people for Public Radio, (one of whom never showed :( ) and that perhaps your recording equipment had a technical glitch? Or did you record? Or was it your software?

So far, I see nothing to be mortified about, if any of the above are the cases. But perhaps the next time (and they DO want you again!) you should listen to what you recorded before you leave the interviewee?? And perhaps you might change your software/recording or whatever equipment?

I can understand being sorry and down about what happened...but mortified???? NAH! Sounds like modern technical equipment failure and NOT talented interviewer failure!

I say chalk up the experience to double-checking before leaving the scene next time!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Getupngo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:55 pm

Nasoosie, radio reporting today involves using what are called "flash" recorders ... digital devices. I just bought a new recorder that has on-board microphones, plus you can plug in external mics. HOWEVER, I have discovered that you have to specifically program the #@!$&% thing to record using the external mics -- the default is the on-board microphone. I didn't know that it defaulted back to the "on-board" setting.

A lot of gobbledy-gook, I know. But I have a mantra that says, "Everything operates properly when properly operated." Embedded in that statement is this: I usually screw up the first time, no matter how hard I try!! :oops:

Not the end of the world. But I can see it from here! :lol:
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Echo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:24 pm

Janice, now that you know what screwed up? And if it ever happens again? You then have the right to be mortified. And my permission to kick yourself in the butt. :D

Lesson learned gal. Chin up, your right your a pro and you will get by this. And do one he77 of a bang up job next time.

We all got faith in ya. ;)
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:28 am

Well that makes sense to me Janice,.... having just got a new VCR and have learned how to program it. it was so different from my old VCR,... I still have a lot of VHS tapes that i enjoy and haven't sprung for a DVD recorder yet. I had bought this one quite some time ago hedging against when they would be no longer available. So,... long story short,... first time around I didn't program right. Now it goes just fine. Like you say ...gotta accept the first time as a screwup. :lol: I'm sure you will do fine from here on,.... go get 'em gal! :D
Cedar518

Postby Gentleladybear » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:49 am

Now you wil hear from somebody who always screws it up the first time out. BUT, when I figure out what I did, it sure won't happen again!! But I understand being mortified when this kind of thing goes wrong and there is absolutely nothing you can do to recover. You feel embarrassed, angry at yourself and you beat yourself up a bit about the things that went wrong. You just have to put one foot in front of the other until another opportunity avails itself and you can prove yourself on that one. Hang in there a new year is coming, hope we all find our problems beginning to turn in our favor in the new year.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Next

Return to General Talk