Visit to the Farm

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Visit to the Farm

Postby Gentleladybear » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:12 am

On Saturday we visited the Dudley Farm in Newberry, Fl. They had their fall festival and one of the highlights of the festival was grinding sugar cane and making syrup.

Here are a few pictures to share.

The Dudley Farmhouse.

The kitchen, it was separate from the house in case it burned.

There was butter making

Washing clothes

Grinding the cane

The Christmas Turkey

Music

More Music

It was such a wonderful day to be outside and watching all the activities. Learned a couple of new craft ideas, Bought plenty of Cane syrup for hot biscuits, butter and syrup this morning.

Kids were shown the games as they were played 100 years ago. Of course one child asked his father how they pulled the games in. (laughing) A good thing we have these festivals so the kids can learn.

Hope you enjoy.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Re: Visit to the Farm

Postby Bethers » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:49 am

Looks like such a good time! Were the Dudleys important in their day - or just happen to be the farm that was saved (while so many unfortunately have not been)?

Thanks for sharing - love these kinds of things.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:55 pm

So nice to see the hanging moss again. I've always thought that was beautiful. That is a place i'd enjoy visiting. The music looked good,... hmmmmm.... wonder if we can post a video here? Would love to have heard that as well. Thanks for the pics!
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:00 pm

wow, that looked like a great day, I love things like that!
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby asirimarco » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:12 pm

neat pictures - thats the kind of thing that is a fun thing to just happen to find.
asirimarco

Postby Liz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:07 pm

Another place close to home I've never visited. Nan, someone told me recently that Dudley farm was going to close...do you know if that's true? If so, I guess I'd better visit soon, huh?
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Nasoosie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:29 pm

Great pictures, Nan! Looks like a place I would love to live! Thanks for sharing!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Gentleladybear » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Liz yes they have scheduled a closing in July 2009. There were petitions there yesterday for people to sign to keep it open. This is the second year I have attended this cane grinding and thought it was bigger and better than ever. I truly hope that they can dodge the closing and remain open, this is the only farm of this kind in our area. Morning side park is houses brought in there, this one is an active farm. The house left by the family just as they lived in it. The furniture is still in the house, and it is a great walk back to the house and you can roam around the yard as you like. The keep an active kitchen garden growing, as well as live stock. There were a lot of brownie and scout troops out there yesterday.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Return to General Talk