Squirrels in rig

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Squirrels in rig

Postby oregontocal » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:09 am

Has anyone else been bothered by critters, I'm assuming squirrels, somehow getting into your rig? I woke up to the sound of little feet and lots of rustling; sounded like it was coming from underneath my propane cooktop, not readily accessible. I'll have to get underneath the RV this morning to locate where they're coming from. Have never had this problem before - wondering what to do about it.

There are tons of squirrels around here. This morning I sprayed some bathroom cleaner into the vents under the cooktop and it seemed to have stopped the noise for a while. But, they're getting in somehow.
oregontocal

Re: Squirrels in rig

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:35 am

They will squeeze through a space tinier than you can believe. Perhaps around your drains, or electrical cord entrance? Some say sheets of Bounce fabric softener will prevent intruders. Even a mouse will sound big when everything else is quiet. Good luck!
Cedar518

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:51 am

Went thru this with mice last year. First, under your cabinets where the pipes run, plug any gaps with steel wool shoved tightly around pipes. At an auto parts store I bought a big sponge for car washing and I plug the area around where my electrical cord enters the rig. Put fabric softner sheets EVERYWHERE - all outside compartments. I've put those little mouse poison things in all my cabinets and outside compartments, being sure my dogs can't get anywhere near them. If you have an engine (Class A, B or C) check your engine compartment for mouse droppings. I found evidence on my battery - laid mouse bait on battery while parked. I have a house battery under my entry step and found evidence there, too. Another mouse bait. Check top of rig to see if squirrels are chewing any of the plastic. They completely chewed a friend's refrigerator vent cover to pieces. Good luck.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby asirimarco » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:17 am

We had a horrible mouse problem not too long ago. The motorhome had just been parked for several months. Every mouse in the county had moved in. One thing that works but we learned you DO NOT want to do is put mothballs in the unit. It talkes forever to get rid of the smell of the mothballs - and they aren't good for you. I now have dryer sheets all over (at least they smell good) and the plug in high pitched sound makers. But have to have electricity to use them. We also put poison pellets all over, in compartments and in engine compartment etc. but we don't have any animals.
Hope we have sealed all the openings too. Good Luck.
asirimarco

Postby oregontocal » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:53 pm

I think I might have solved the problem, at least temporarily. There were three full-hookup sites available in the annex area so I picked up my house and moved. Perhaps my little visitor got lost on the way as I haven't heard anything from him/her all day. So, fingers crossed. A bonus of the move is I'm now nestled between two larger rigs; hopefully that will cut down on the wind a little.
oregontocal

Postby Getupngo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:00 pm

I had mice summer before last (OMG, how much time has passed) and did the steel wool thing ... plus traps to get the critters who were already IN, and bought the electronic pest repellant (BEST $15 I've ever spent!). Plug it into the walls ... and not a mouse since. I've decided to keep power going into the rig during the winter to keep the critters OUT! I don't know if it would work against squirrels, but hey, they're rodents.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Janice, be sure to check your battery water levels if you leave your rig plugged in.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:37 pm

About mothballs - I wouldn't put them in the rig either, but a friend solved a rodent problem by hanging them UNDER their rig when it was parked. At least they believe that solved their problem :)

Glad to hear you think you solved it, Karen. Sure hope so!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Gentleladybear » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:52 pm

I have had a squirrel problem here at home. Squirrels chewed my car up twice. The mechanic said to tie little knee high bags of mothballs under the hood. I did and haven't had them in there again. They got into the motorhome, and started chewing wires, so hung some there too. They can do unbelieveable damage. Believe me after high repair bills, mothballs are cheap and they work!!!

The little guys though have attached themselves several times to my electric fence around my yard, so am slowing deminishing the population. I don't like squirrels did I tell you all that? (laughing) They can cause a great deal of damage.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Return to General Talk