Portable Generator questions

Portable Generator questions

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:50 am

Ok I'm thinking about getting a small generator for our trailer. What is the least watt gennie we can get that will run the toaster, microwave, coffeemaker, little heater (not all at the same time). I found a list of AMP usage for the appliances but the generators come in WATTS. Help!!!
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: Portable Generator questions

Postby WickedLady » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:30 pm

Watts=Amps X Volts
WickedLady

Postby Cudedog » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:43 pm

From our friend Google:

"In other words, watt=amp X volt. Sometimes you will see this formula written as W=A X V. For example, if the current is 3 amps (3A) and the voltage is 110V, you multiply 3 by 110, to get 330W (watts). The formula is P=3A X 110V = 330 W (with P standing for power)."

Here's a handy-dandy calculator:

https://www.supercircuits.com/volts-watts-amps-converter

8-) Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:16 pm

All those appliances should tell you their wattage. For example many rv microwaves are 1000 watts. But it will tell you on the appliance. If you aren't looking to run the a.c. I'd suggest a 2000 watt generator. If you get one that you could later connect to another, it opens options to do that should you ever want to run the a.c.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:14 pm

Thanks for opening up the question... I too need to get a new gennie and fall is quickly coming
an added question but related is was is the difference between a generator and a inverter generator? don't have the ad by me to give more details. got to thinking that I gave the information to sil so on phone found them in a Harbor Freight sale catalog...on sale one is a 4375 Watt Max the other is a 3500 watt inverter generator... the inverter generator has an electric start... Which I consider vital..my old genny wasn't big enough to run the A/C but ran everything else... and I simply don't remember what it watt's is too faded to read the information to find out...
sheila
snowball

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:38 am

For an RV you need an INVERTER generator. Don't remember why but just read that's the one you need. An electric start would be an advantage. Also want the lowest decibel you can get for quiet in a campground. Thanks to the ladies for the formulas but I am TERRIBLE at math. I have a list that gives me how many AMPS you need for a toaster (7-13), coffeemaker (7) etc but the generator puts out WATTS. I don't remember any of this necessary stuff in math class. Got good grades in algebra and have NEVER needed it.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Cudedog » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:38 am

retiredhappy wrote:For an RV you need an INVERTER generator. Don't remember why but just read that's the one you need. An electric start would be an advantage. Also want the lowest decibel you can get for quiet in a campground. Thanks to the ladies for the formulas but I am TERRIBLE at math. I have a list that gives me how many AMPS you need for a toaster (7-13), coffeemaker (7) etc but the generator puts out WATTS. I don't remember any of this necessary stuff in math class. Got good grades in algebra and have NEVER needed it.

Karen, try the calculator I posted above (click "no" if a popup comes up). No math needed! (although you might want to get out the math book if you don't want to overload your gennie when trying to run multiple appliances).

Just put in what you know - for example, your toaster at 7 amps and 120 volts (120 volts is standard house current). Put in 7 in the "amps" window, and 120 in the "volts" window, hit the "calculate" button and voila! 7 amps x 120 volts = 840 watts (of course, your toaster will only draw this wattage when actually "toasting").

Or toaster (7 amps) and coffee maker (7 amps) adds up to 14 amps. Thus 14 amps x 120 volts = 1680 watts.

Electric draw can add up very quickly when using a generator, when at home most people don't even think about draw!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby MelissaD » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:52 am

The Difference Between Traditional and Inverter Generators?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/out-here_ ... toQAvD_BwE
MelissaD

Postby Cudedog » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:14 am

MelissaD wrote:The Difference Between Traditional and Inverter Generators?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/out-here_ ... toQAvD_BwE

Interesting article, Melissa. Thanks. :-)

I might be going to have a question for you in a little bit about a potential hitch problem I might be having. Need to get the photos together first, though.

Thanks again.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues