maintenance question

maintenance question

Postby grammynmaggie » Mon May 04, 2015 9:50 am

I have been reading about people taking their motorhome for yearly maintenance I assume they're taking them to a dealer of some sort...my question is what things are you having done in this yearly maintenance I think I'm missing something here I would appreciate your input... donna
grammynmaggie

Re: maintenance question

Postby sharon » Mon May 04, 2015 2:15 pm

Fluid changes, checking belts, checking for engine leaks, yearly service on the generator...that kind of thing. All needs to be done at least once a year no matter how much milage you have.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby gingerK » Mon May 04, 2015 2:54 pm

I'm learning this too, Donna!
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon May 04, 2015 4:50 pm

I think it is an issue of both safety and preventive maintanance. Better to lube joints and check stuff than discover wear and tear that might have been preventive. The trick is to find an RV service person or place that you trust. Trust them to do what you ask, to know what they are doing, do it right and not do what doesn't need to be done..... :roll:

Maybe we can drive to Kathy's and have her husband work on our rigs?
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Mon May 04, 2015 5:06 pm

For the engine parts of my rigs, I've always done one annual trip to Ford - have them look over everything, and no matter what change the oil, etc. I will, in most cases (have a warranty now, so breaking my own rule lol) go to a dealer for work - they usually charge more and don't see to have the best service. My favorite rv places are usually Mom and Pop type service places - don't sell - spend all their time working on rigs. My absolute favorite is in Guntersville, AL - they saved my butt a couple times. Unfortunately, I can't take them with me!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Birdie » Wed May 06, 2015 8:23 am

If you have the manual for your RV it will tell you the parts of the rig that needs what item and when for maintenance just like your your car manual. Then each item in the rig will give you specific maintenance items. If you fail to do those things and be able to show proof, don't expect any warranty to cover it. There are some tricky things, like the wheel bearings should be done annually on some rigs, but every two years on others...critical because they can cause fires if they get dry and you are wheeling down the road! Tire rotation as well as balance and alignment. Tire companies will deny prorated refunds if you don't do this...expensive to not do it, and rig drives better if you do it.

You know RVs are a big money pit...kinda like a house! Just pull out those manuals, get some markers, a pen, then write down the items and requirements, mark the spot in the manual. My Class C had a great maintenance list for the motor and chassis, the Class A not so much...I have to hunt for the items. Then I had to read each individual appliance manual, ugh! But, you do what you gotta do.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues