I Have A Confession...

I Have A Confession...

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:45 pm

I have had my little travel trailer for 2.5 summers now...

I have NEVER dumped at a campground dump station!

I have dumped at private campgrounds with full hook-ups. And I have dumped at our own spare septic field at home, where I can take my time and use the hose to fill up the black tank.

How in the world do you get enough water into the black tank, if you don't have enough, at a dump station - bucketfuls before you leave your campsite? For instance, at Seven Points, I'll just use the campground water and dump it into the toilet and mozy on over to the dump station? ??

I know I could travel home and do it there, but I really have to watch my weight because of the limitations of my Sienna tow vehicle. Once last year, with the girls on the Westward Ho trip to Montana, we filled up the fresh tank (25 gal.) before we headed for some dry camping. Boy, did that change the dynamic of the tow!

So, I guess the question really is getting enough water into the toilet - I guess just use a bucket before I unhook. Or is there some way to get more water into the toilet at the dump station - like that non-potable water hose on a spring thing? Drag it into the bathroom?

Okay, okay...I'm thick in this area. Very, very thick.

mitch5252

Re: I Have A Confession...

Postby Forestgal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:24 pm

I have a travel trailer also. When I'm camping for just a weekend I just make sure to use lots and lots of water when flushing and don't leave the valve open. I even fill the bowl up with water a few times over the weekend and flush it down. What needs to come out will, and you'll get your hose clean with the grey water when you open that tank after emptying the black. I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't depend on your sensors to help you out -- at least with the black tank. They usually get gummed up within the first few trips and don't give an accurate reading. You'll know when your black tank is full! ;)
Forestgal

Postby VickieP » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:59 pm

If I don't think I have enough liquid in the black tank I'll even hold the petal down and let water just run in there before going to dump and make sure you have enough water in the grey tanks to flush the hoses out too. I tend to be pretty conservative until the last day or night before leaving I'll use the shower in the rv if I've been using the cg one. that kind of stuff. My trailer even has a flush out thingy, to flush out the lines, I have in the past, hooked up a water hose from my fresh water tank and over to that flush connection (because it is on the same side, but opposite side of dump valves), turn on my water pump and flush lines that way. But I only do that when I have lots of time or know that I'm not going to use the rv for a while.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:17 pm

I carry two large containers that I use to carry water for the dogs.... I often will fill them from the campground faucets and just haul them inside and pour into the black tank if I want and extra flush. My first MH had the built in flush, it was nice but I haven't really noticed missing it much.......and as you said, you don't stop and do it unless you really have the time and there is no line!
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:31 am

I'm about to pull the trigger on an order to Camping World for one of those spray "thingys" that you attach to your bathroom sink faucet. It's a wand you put down the toilet with a rotating sprayer on the end. Is it worth it? Do I really need it? I also run a lot of water down toilet the last day or so of a trip. And I don't skimp on chemical,... which on the bottle says.... "breaks up wastes"....

Bingo on the sensor for black tank.... My camper is not two months old yet and sensor hasn't been accurate since second trip out. :lol: I use a flashlight a lot! ;) :lol:
Cedar518

Postby Shirlv » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:41 am

I use the Geo Method and my sensors have been right on. Does anyone else use it and how are your sensors? I do not travel as much as some, could that have something to do with it. I do not have a wand but use a lot of water.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:25 am

When I'm not hooked up to water at a campground my water pump runs off the batteries so if I'm dumping at a dump station I turn on the water pump switch and water goes into the toilet from my fresh water tank. Does it work the same in a TT?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Forestgal » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:17 pm

Cedar, I wouldn't waste your money on it. That sewer tank will never be as clean as it was when you bought it. :) If you get enough water into the tank and then use the grey water to clean out the hose you'll be fine. Your rig is as big as mine and I have yet to fill up the sewer when I'm camping. Remember, it holds something like 25 gallons. That's a lot! I've learned to listen to how it sounds when I flush as a gauge. Works for me.

When you're dry camping the water to flush does come from your fresh water tank. So that's a consideration when flushing.
Forestgal

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:18 pm

thanks Forestgal for your thoughts on the wand. I will re-consider the order. I'm pretty used to conserving water when necessary after 30+ years with rigs,... and the last 5 years with just a Chalet a-frame. I really thought perhaps the wand might help keep the sensors semi-operational. Hmmmmmm...... :?

Like I said,.... shine a flashlight down the toilet and it's pretty easy to see where I'm at for filling up the tank. the bluegrass festival folks were charging $20 to dump Sunday,... so I declined,... I have let it sit and will dump on my way into the campground on Tuesday noon. I've added quite a bit of water to the tank and also have 1/3 grey tank full to rinse hose. Ahhhh.... life is good! :lol:
Cedar518

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:28 pm

If the sensors on mine seem really gunked up.......it will put in extra water and a bunch of Ice cubes and maybe a little Dawn dish soap!.... and drive around some before going to dump...
BirdbyBird

Postby Nasoosie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:20 am

If I had my way, and could afford it, I would fill up my black tank, drive to an RV dealer's, have them remove the dang thing, and replace it with a new one!

Can you tell how much I love the sewage part of RVing??!!

ACK! In fact, ACKY-POO!!!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:30 am

See the way I figure it...in my life i've shoveled horse manure, pick up dog piles, clean cat litter, clean baby bottoms and clothes, and at school...it was student's and they were not babies.....that is not mentioning the diarrehea situations with...dogs and cats and people :shock: ...compared to all that putting on gloves and connecting some tubes seems not to bad :)

Now the first time I went to dumped my MH only to find that the valve had been left open at the dealers after I bought it :roll: Took the cap off and was not happy. But so far it was a lesson well learned. I double check all the valves..... I have heard stories/mythes about kids opening valves just for fun..... am hoping that is an RV park horror story sort of thing........ have never had a problem since....
BirdbyBird

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:00 am

I'm with Tina...doesn't bother me a bit. I just wanna make sure I do it right so there are no dreaded 'black tank issues". Heck, if my mutt is starting those I'm-About-To-Throw-Up noises and she's hovering on my lemon yellow bedspread, yup, my hands are cupped under her mouth...I can clean my hands a lot easier than a queen-size lemon yellow bedspread.

mitch5252

Postby Birdie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Each time I am at a campground with either FHU or a dump station, I always fill the black water tank before I empty and I usually do that by simply stepping on the flush pedal until it is nearly full. I check with a flashlight. After I empty the blackwater the first time, I fill the tank again with a 'black water hose' that is connected to the water faucet either at the camp site or the faucet at the dump station. After the gray water is finished dumping, I then dump the black water the 2nd time. Then I add some more water to the black water tank, add my deodorant to both tanks, and some Calgon to the black water tank, then I call it quits. The only time I didn't do this was when we had the Port Lavaca GTG and there was no dump station. I really try to make sure I do this in this time consuming way because if it gets gummed up - it is really gonna cost you. The guys that work on the potty get's paid good for a reason!!

I have found that most campgrounds with dump stations have a 'non-potable water' faucet at the dump station and I always use it to do "a black tank rinse and set up". That was one of the first things I learned about camping in my TT.

Anytime I am going to be touching the sewer hose/connections, I use disposable rubber gloves and try to always have a plastic sack readily available to pitch them into when I am finished if there is not a dumpster or trash can around.

Currently in a nice cloudy, warm and humid Austin, TX attending a Casita TT GTG.....Having fun
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:44 pm

Birdie, where have you been? You haven't been around in almost forever!!!

Now, let me ask you - that hose at the dump station - do you drag it into your trailer and fill the toilet that way, or do you use a bucket and schlep it?

mitch5252

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues