Sunscreens

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Sunscreens

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Our first major "mod" was done this weekend. It made my husband a bit nervous at first but it is helping MY nerves with the impending Summer heat issues...and side effect, we lose the fishbowl feeling, too. Privacy and an already noticeable difference- I'm quite pleased.

I haven't taken photos of it all completed. We went and bought pvc piping to slide through the bottom of the tire covers and it looks much better -and we still have to go fill them with sand still.

We like the continuity of using all the same fabric and style all around and for the tires. Pluses also include quick install and take down. Blocks 90% of the sun and gives great privacy.
Gena, traveling with her husband Russell and their "velcro dogs" Mike and Hazen.
Follow along as they grow and learn and live out their dream; http://www.HomeSweetRoam.com
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Re: Sunscreens

Postby Bethers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:29 pm

I understand your reasoning, and it looks great. On the other hand, my heating bills with those would be astronomical lol ... I open up all my shades, etc to let in the sun as much as possible. However, I sure see how you'll like those. Can you easily remove them if you would want to? I've seen that on Class A's where they can take them down/put them up as they want to use them. I imagine they get tired of that and end up leaving them up, though.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby sharon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Very nice! That's really going to help you this summer and probably worth every penny! You'll have to give us a report when it gets hot!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Bethers wrote:I understand your reasoning, and it looks great. On the other hand, my heating bills with those would be astronomical lol ... I open up all my shades, etc to let in the sun as much as possible. However, I sure see how you'll like those. Can you easily remove them if you would want to? I've seen that on Class A's where they can take them down/put them up as they want to use them. I imagine they get tired of that and end up leaving them up, though.

That's the best part- they are easily removable- as easy as taking off your pants. And you can choose which panels to leave up at your whim. During the cooler times of the year I will take them down. There are only a couple places on mine that I need a step stool to get to them.
Gena, traveling with her husband Russell and their "velcro dogs" Mike and Hazen.
Follow along as they grow and learn and live out their dream; http://www.HomeSweetRoam.com
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:58 pm

sharon wrote:Very nice! That's really going to help you this summer and probably worth every penny! You'll have to give us a report when it gets hot!

Well, turns out they already are working like a charm! I went out to walk the dogs and do laundry and was surprised about how bright and sunny it was! I can now sit at my table and use my computer without baking in the sun or without closing the [inner] shade! So I can only imagine how much difference they will make. (will probably have to pull them off to remind myself how well they ARE doing once in awhile!)

I actually unplugged my vents to let some light in and some wind -all my windows are open but the 90's don't let too much through. My dog's do miss their sun spot though... Even though I dont really need them now I am going to just leave them up for awhile and let them stretch and and form.

I may have the guy come back and install and extension on our awning made of the same stuff- but 80% so more air gets through.
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:00 pm

Bethers wrote:I understand your reasoning, and it looks great. On the other hand, my heating bills with those would be astronomical lol ... I open up all my shades, etc to let in the sun as much as possible. However, I sure see how you'll like those. Can you easily remove them if you would want to? I've seen that on Class A's where they can take them down/put them up as they want to use them. I imagine they get tired of that and end up leaving them up, though.

Oh and I forgot- the woman I spoke to about them before agreeing to do ours, has had them for three years- she says they also help in the extreme cold to hold in some of the heat- she just adds the silver stuff as an additional layer in her cab area and such...wherever needed. :)
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby Bethers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Knowing that they are so easy to take down ... means I will definitely consider them on my NEXT rig ...

Thanks so much for all that extra info.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JoanE » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm

The rig I purchased had extra dark window tinting film that they added themselves to all the windows except the cab. I also have the day and night shades inside. The film definitely helps block the sun but it also makes me claustrophobic when I am inside too long. I also had to remove the film from the small window right behind the passenger seat. Since I travel alone, I could not always see out my right hand window when turning left where the intersection was on an angle and would need to look out the small window. The film prevented me from having good vision as to what was coming. I have since removed the film from my side door window and over the sink. If the sun is too hot, I drop the shades. All of my other windows have the extra tinted film.

What I do want is a screen for my windshield. One of my campground neighbors had the Magna Shade on their rig. They love it and since it is applied with magnets that stay in place, it is seconds to put up and remove.

If having solar installed were this easy.... :cry:
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:53 pm

JoanE wrote:The rig I purchased had extra dark window tinting film that they added themselves to all the windows except the cab. I also have the day and night shades inside. The film definitely helps block the sun but it also makes me claustrophobic when I am inside too long. I also had to remove the film from the small window right behind the passenger seat. Since I travel alone, I could not always see out my right hand window when turning left where the intersection was on an angle and would need to look out the small window. The film prevented me from having good vision as to what was coming. I have since removed the film from my side door window and over the sink. If the sun is too hot, I drop the shades. All of my other windows have the extra tinted film.

What I do want is a screen for my windshield. One of my campground neighbors had the Magna Shade on their rig. They love it and since it is applied with magnets that stay in place, it is seconds to put up and remove.

Well, you should take these off for driving (although the woman told me she forgot when she went to the gas station and didn't lose any- but wasn't on a highway!)... The tinting ie permanent darkening of the windows was one of the things we didn't like about that option! This way we can decide to use them or not or use some and not others. The versatility will be nice.

I think we may need window tint some time in the future- but for the cab area/door windows for driving... but since we'll be idle more than driving- we'll tackle the issues in that order.

There are many Class A's here that have their huge windows done and nothing else. There are others that have the interior extra screen option (which we dont) but they state because the heat is already in- they don't work- so they get the exterior ones, anyway.
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:54 pm

JoanE wrote:The rig I purchased had extra dark window tinting film that they added themselves to all the windows except the cab. I also have the day and night shades inside. The film definitely helps block the sun but it also makes me claustrophobic when I am inside too long. I also had to remove the film from the small window right behind the passenger seat. Since I travel alone, I could not always see out my right hand window when turning left where the intersection was on an angle and would need to look out the small window. The film prevented me from having good vision as to what was coming. I have since removed the film from my side door window and over the sink. If the sun is too hot, I drop the shades. All of my other windows have the extra tinted film.

Well, you should take these off for driving (although the woman told me she forgot when she went to the gas station and didn't lose any- but wasn't on a highway!)... The tinting ie permanent darkening of the windows was one of the things we didn't like about that option! This way we can decide to use them or not or use some and not others. The versatility will be nice.

I think we may need window tint some time in the future- but for the cab area/door windows for driving... but since we'll be idle more than driving- we'll tackle the issues in that order.

There are many Class A's here that have their huge windows done and nothing else. There are others that have the interior extra screen option (which we dont) but they state because the heat is already in- they don't work- so they get the exterior ones, anyway.
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby Paulette » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:30 pm

I really like that idea for Houston! I'll bet it will really help keep the cool! When I had my first class c, I had the windshield cover that went on with magnets and it worked great. Will most likely purchase another one now that I'm going back to a class c.
Paulette

Postby avalen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:52 pm

those are neat but wonder if they come in a different color like a light sandy color. Could use something like that in Arizona
for sure.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:59 pm

avalen wrote:those are neat but wonder if they come in a different color like a light sandy color. Could use something like that in Arizona
for sure.

Yep, there are several colors to choose from including a sandy color! I chose the brown/black weave with black trim. You can choose any variation you want and he makes them right there in front of you.
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby JoanE » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Gena, I may have been unclear about something but I appreciate your concern. The Magna Shade is only for when you are parked, definitely not for driving. My windshield does not have the tinted film at all. Not sure which you referred to about not driving with it. :)
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby Bethers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:17 pm

People have the sand color ones on their park models here, Ava. But they have them installed where they'd take work to remove. However a park model isn't going to be moving. Black attracts heat - which is the reason most in the south are light colored. That said, I have the screens on my windows up front (removable) that are black. I didn't get them to help with the heat, but they certainly make a huge difference. Amazing. I got them so that I could open those windows for fresh air and no bugs.
Beth
Bethers

Next

Return to Show off your Rigs