You've just been-

Tell about and post pictures of your rigs and changes you make to them.

Re: You've just been-

Postby MsJane » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:48 pm

I have the second smallest storage doors so I can relate. I learned to keep the door measurements on my phone for easy access but ended picking up several sizes or styles of plastic containers to see what would work best. Of course I ended up returning a lot of containers and nothing I now have matches but what I kept is working for my use.
MsJane

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:56 pm

MsJane wrote:I have the second smallest storage doors so I can relate. I learned to keep the door measurements on my phone for easy access but ended picking up several sizes or styles of plastic containers to see what would work best. Of course I ended up returning a lot of containers and nothing I now have matches but what I kept is working for my use.

Great idea.
Gena, traveling with her husband Russell and their "velcro dogs" Mike and Hazen.
Follow along as they grow and learn and live out their dream; http://www.HomeSweetRoam.com
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Spending a few days parked in the drive of my (7 month old) granddaughter's house. Haven't spent a tonne of time with her, so this is a treat. She's loving the new environment.

I made the bunk area up for her to make her own and explore and play.
Low light and movement make getting good images difficult.

Started out with her taking a nap in my bed...but that ended in a diaper leak...so- there went the "newness"! :|

Of course she wasn't in bed alone...

And before I derail my own "show off your rig" thread--
Here's what it looks like inside in the evening with hubby home at our new "desk".

And here's the built in book/magazine holder and a handful of travel books we kept for future use.
Gena, traveling with her husband Russell and their "velcro dogs" Mike and Hazen.
Follow along as they grow and learn and live out their dream; http://www.HomeSweetRoam.com
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:06 pm

OKay....one last shot of my living room, made even more beautiful by the existence of my puppers and my granddaughter. :D
And to show off the size of the walk way...
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby Liz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Nice home...plenty of room for grandbabies.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Nasoosie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Love your rig and all the great pics and advice and all!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Parked outside my cousin's home (was once mine years ago, so weird)...
Letting the dogs get some offleash time... and waiting for my aunt to be ready to go grocery shopping- you'd be surprised what I could fit in my Smart.
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby OutandAbout » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:30 pm

MrsHomeSweetRoam wrote:
avalen wrote:
MrsHomeSweetRoam wrote:We are using the green hose for fresh water, and the white/blue is for the black tank cleaning. The pressure regulators and water filter are on the green, and there is an anti siphon valve on the far end of the blue/white at the sewer pipe connection as well. I have never heard of things inside garden hoses being bad for drinking water quality, but I'll look into that thanks! The Wye on the hoses lets us use the 2 hoses without having to swap a lot of things before we pack up and move out. We might get a 3-way just in case we need water to fill something like a dog bowl, or rinse something off.

the thing with garden hose is that you taste the rubber from the hose, thats why the manufacturers came up with the special white one, no rubber taste :D
don't think theres any toxic reasons, at least I've never heard of any, just the taste thing

Ah, well if that's the only concern, then I'm not worried. I'm already not a fan of the hose in general- just because it's entirely too long and hard to roll up (told hubby we should find something else). But I do like the "Green-good, Blue-bad {white hose has blue line}' thing he's got going on. :lol:

The white hoses come in different lengths. 10 ft, 15 ft and 25 ft, I think those are the sizes. I've seen them at Camping World. It was suggested to me to have all 3 sizes, but with a truck camper, storage is minimal.

You have a beautiful rig. Many happy camping days to you. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Finally put our exterior television to use albeit short-lived because she kept wanting to be INSIDE the "mo-home" as she calls it. So we fired up the bottom bunk television...but she still couldn't keep still. She went on a trip recently with the family CA > MA and now she's elated that we're visiting her in ours.

http://i.imgur.com/uRwDq.jpg
Bella Bear, the first to use the "outside tv".
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:41 pm

As of the last day of November 2012, we are officially untethered to a 'stick & brick' home. So what was the first few 'official' days like for us?

THURSDAY

If you recall, Thursday the 29th, we decided to leave my aunt/cousin's property in fear of the impending storm and inevitable muddy mess. As I sat watching the news alerts pile up
about the incoming weather... I decided I didn't want to wait for my husband to be home to move the rig- I wanted and knew I could handle it myself; so I did.

So on Thursday, while hubby was in L.A. working, I prepared the interior and exterior of our home for mobility and with some notes lovingly texted from him about the water and electricity

(which has been, up until now, something only he had tackled), I conquered my first solo move. Leaving my aunts/cousin's property includes a sharp turn and a tight squeeze at their

entrance- did them both without a problem.

I was so proud of myself, of my success and more so, of my confidence (which is not normally something I exude).

As I made it into town and away from the dirt areas... I was thinking about another pending issue that I had until now, had been waiting for my husband to conquer- we needed
to drain the black and grey tanks! The last time we drained, I made sure to go out and watch, listen and learn (watching is a big thing for me, as I think I learn by watching and doing far

more than I do by reading!) And again I harnessed the challenge with confidence and decided to drive, again alone, to the local and closest place to dump- Jurupa RV Park.
I then successfully dumped all on my own- the only thing I see I needed to work on was pulling in a bit further away so that the black tank hose could have a more straight/direct route.
But, it worked and I "got 'er dun"! Yay me.

I was very excited and proud of myself... and I felt a new level of FREEDOM in this newfound knowledge that I can do this myself, if ever need be. There is nothing more
freeing than knowing you can actually take care of yourself... and learn and conquer knew things. You grow up but you never stop learning.

We had been invited to spend some time at a friends house, she even prepped her drive for us so we didn't have to be 'inconvenienced' by being on her street! How marvelously lucky
are we to know such wonderful people?

I then headed to her place and parked on the street- because although I had conquered with confidence driving solo and draining tanks, backing into her drive wasn't
something I wanted to attemp alone. I'm adventurous- not stupid. (ahha)

I then began the wait for my husband to make it home from L.A... but turns out he was out spending some much needed one on one time with our son (whom is new to being on his own,
as we are new to this new lifestyle). So I offer him- Want me to drive out somewhere close to you? And with that- I'm suddenly headed to the Pasadena, CA area- in my pajamas!

We've been planning for this lifestyle for years- and for years have been mentally noting places that I've seen RV's parked or overnighted... so I headed to the first and
easiest place I could recall--- Walmart in Duarte, CA.

And then just after I parked so neatly and placed my privacy curtain, the Security Officer drove up to my house door and kindly knocked and informed me that overnights are not allowed-
and after seeing my shock and explanation of recalling others- he says "well, last year we did- not this year".

And so, solo again, I was off to find an alternative 'home' for the night.

Luckily I remembered another place, closer to one of our previous 'stick & brick' homes...and I drove there and parked and waited for my husband to finally make his way HOME.

Charles White Park, nestled in a neighborhood minutes up the street from Pasadena... home of ...free roaming roosters, of all things... husband made it home and we enjoyed
our last night in the rig with keys to the apartment still in hand.

FRIDAY
I send my husband off to commute to work - with a kiss - and then lounge around with the dogs. It's raining and the view is nice. I'm drawn to taking photos of details and
so I start documenting the morning with my camera. Eventually, I decide to take the dogs out the door and into the beautiful grassy park that's waiting just one sidewalk away.
I walk and photograph...and get pestered by an offleash runt of a dog...and then decide I don't want to spend the entire day- or much more time, actually, at the park... and
that is when I remember-

I AM ONLY 10 MILES from the LOS ANGELES ZOO! As a former General Volunteer, I know the joys of the zoo in the rain...and I cannot stop myself from driving straight there!
I already know that the parking is FREE for the day and that their lot is more than ready for large vehicles (school busses visit daily). As expected, I find a near
empty lot and immediately swing the rig to park her under the big "C" marker post. C for camper. C for Coachmen. C for how cool is this!?
The weather was making for some AWESOME visual candy and I was compelled to use my camera again for a bit... and then I dug in the closet for my LA Zoo hat, Member Pass and
the best water gear that I have- which really isn't... and I head out, leaving the dogs behind, with a HUGE SMILE on my face. The rain already making me wet and playing it's
song on my umbrella before I even get in the front gate.
Now... I often refer to myself as a three-year-old... that's because I am. On the inside. Boy did I have fun. I was alone and it just did not matter. My playmate was the weather, the rain,

the puddles and the inches of streaming run-off of water through out the park. I was wet nearly to my knees and a smile was near permanent on my face. I experienced several
very interesting, amazing and adorable encounters with the animals- behaviors brought on by the weather.

My favorite of the day was the the "ritual" (complete with chant and dance) that was being performed by the Giant Otters...
some of them making low and deep vocal sounds "hmm wu...hmm wu...hmm wu" and the others would throw in a high pitch squeel at the perfect time.
"hmm wu...hmm wu [SQUUUEE] hmm wu...hmm wu" Of course, nothing I write or say about it could ever properly describe the moment. But I stood there, mesmerized by their noises
and watching them swim in a circle (the deep voiced Otters) and the high pitch ones sit on the side bobbing their head with their squeeels.

Ah-maz-ing.

Suggestion- visit an amimal park in the rain. You won't regret it.

I LOVE BEING SPONTANEOUS. And actually being able to DO the things that opportunity brings... I get a random text from a friend- 'Want to go to the Queen Mary? Frozen 9 degree
slide? Merriment and holiday fun?' Uh, YES. But ...where to park the house? Research time!

This is where I stop to take a SHOWER IN THE PARKING LOT OF THE ZOO. Yea. I did. And then I found a place to park the rig. And I have to go NOW to make it there in time
being that there's traffic and RAIN... and everyone knows Californians can't drive in the rain...better get a move to allow for anything. OH yea... and HOLY COW
I AM ABOUT TO TACKLE A COMMUTE TO A MAJOR URBAN CITY AND TOURIST TRAP- SOLO again! holy moly!

Look at badass me! I research, obtain the info, secure a place and navigate to it safely...and park it perfectly (of course having a GIANT empty lot helped- but hey!)
IN THE RAIN.
LONG BEACH CONVENTION CENTER
Parking dept: 562-499-7502
(be sure to ask which entrance they expect you)
$20 per space you take up for overnights
$10 per space for the day
= $40 night, boondocked within view of the Queen Mary and next to the Long Beach Arena building.

Let me tell you- the sounds (ever been startled by a ship's horn while sitting alone in a large dark lot?)...and mostly, the visuals
of the rain and lights in that parking lot...and then the incoming and depleting fogs...wow.

Night time photography in the rain, isn't my strong suit but look-see at my photos! (they don't do it justice)
Once my husband was able to find me... and then the friends finding us... we were literally minutes drive from the Queen and her holiday merriment. Where...I then
showed my three-year-old self to the world again... this time sliding down a frozen slide ...and this time with more overgrown children er uh friends.

Dinner and then breakfast in Long Beach, CA [HOF'S HUT- damn good breakfast -I'll be back, I must eat everything on their menu!!!]
with friends and then we were off again...but to where?

SATURDAY

With full bellies, we discover that reality is that we really need to restock the kitchen and there are a few items we need for the rig. Where's the closest Wal-Mart?
We head off to a 24 hour Wal-Mart nearby in Carson and we spend a chunk of money and take our time... have nothing else to do and well, this is now...
our entertainment and lifestyle. (ahha) So we take our time, enjoying each other's company and comparing this store with some others... it's not one of the better ones
but it does the trick - no, no it doesn't - as we find out that even though they are open 24 hours a day, they do not allow for overnighters... and we pondered that a bit
as we sat and looked at an UNHITCHED travel trailer across the lot... we didn't want to chance being pushed out in the wee hours of the morning or something so -
after leisurely putting away our groceries and supplies... and researched our next move. With the possibility of another meal with friends
(hubby's bff is leaving the country, for work and we want to spend as much time with him before he goes) we want to stay within a reasonable drive
(in the Smart, that's not yet a TOAD!)... and we then come to the realization that we are close to the La Mirada, CA Camping World which is overnight friendly! And free! Yay!

[I am now going to ASK FIRST and shop after -their answer for overnighting- my money will go to those that support weary travelers and full-timers!!! Gosh darnit!]

Oh look! We're literally down the street from KNOTTS BERRY FARM... instead of sitting in the rig, lets go walk amongst the stores and such that are located
out front (not inside the amusement park) for the evening- how fun! with a bit of driving and some exchange with helpful staff, we are directed to a specific lot for those
that are only there for short while to visit the stores and restraunts out front! And 3 hours and under are FREE! woooh000.

A bit of window shopping and we decide to splurge on dinner at the famous MRS.KNOTT's CHICKEN DINNER Restraunt! HOOOOLLLY MOly! It should be illegal to serve so much food.
But the leftovers were grand!

Oops... what about dinner possibility with friends -we jumped the gun and ate without them... no problem, we'll stay up late like crazy teens we are and hang with them
during their meal. Hubby ends up eating a second dinner. I sit barely able to retain my stomach seams. But oh did we have great conversation- like always.
And we return home after midnight. And sleep like babies in the glow of the Camping World sign and the drum of the nearby highway.

SUNDAY

We find out my sister in-law is in town for business! Wow! And right here near us! No way!? Yep, Anaheim Convention Center... and we start researching places to park the rig
to rendevous with her between conferences! Hubby is able to get us in a hotel parking lot with a day fee of $25 which includes both our vehicles... he asks questions and such
and comes to the realization that after 10pm there is no one manning the parking arm... and no one keeping track of how long you are there...
so we press our luck and it pays out- we end up staying the entire night (boondocking on the down low, folks) and able to have breakfast buffet
and more precious face-time for my husband and his sister (it's been a few years- so very special)
We spend the day, though, walking around the perimeter of Disneyland with the dogs -in the rain/drizzle- and what do find? An RV Park we saw online... and we decide to check
it out in person- how handy, what fun! We definitely look forward to utilizing that park...and it's proximity to the D-land in the future!

MONDAY

After breakfast buffet with sister, we're able to escape the parking lot without any additional fees and hubby heads to work in L.A. and I head back to the Inland Empire
-our current temporary home- the awesome friends that initially offered us refuge from the mud on Thursday!

I was able to park and position in their drive, solo. I then spent a good time cleaning and airing out the rig- opening all the windows and vents and bathroom door...
wiping and dusting and sweeping... resetting. Followed that up with a short walk around their beautiful neighborhood with the dogs.

And then I had the wild urge to tackle the filing and to start sorting the receipts in preparation for keeping track of our spending -possibly in a very detailed manner,
like I did back when I was working in the business office of a construction company- with an expense report, broken down into catagories and sub-catagories so you can
really see where the money is going. --but that only kept me busy for so long because I still have yet to reinstall excel on this new laptop!

...and then some much needed online brain mush time.

Now I sit, typing this out... they have generously allowed me to park in their drive, hook to their water and their power... and are just so nice and accomodating.
Now I wait to see when hubby comes home, he may try for another visit with his sister...

We are so lucky. And I am thoroughly enjoying my first few days of 'official full-time RV'ing'.

{{{using city of riverside's free internet and it's giving me a tonne of trouble getting the photos hosted online, so I'll be back to add more photos to this post}}}
Last edited by MrsHomeSweetRoam on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:49 am

You are providing a neat road map for others to learn from...anything can happen anything can be! But you have to keep your eyes open and be ready to see. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Dawn309 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 am

Wonderful spur of the moment adventures. Oh, to be so spontaneous.
Dawn, Rascal, Belle
Sunshine-2012 Coachmen Encounter
http://dawnsrvlife.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/dawn.goodrow.shive
Dawn309

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:44 am

Gena what a wonderful narrative for my morning coffee! I love your words, and I can just picture you doing all those things all by yourself, and feeling so PROUD! Don't stay a teenager too long, as being a three-year-old I find is even more fun because of the innocence that comes with that age!

Thanks so much for this great share!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks girls. I love to hear your perspective/feedback. Been stuck not-so-good internet access...so taking advantage of some quick to get some pics up! :shock:
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Finally able to update that last post with more images...and add even more from today.

MrsHomeSweetRoam

PreviousNext

Return to Show off your Rigs