The unofficial "Bartlesville Chamber of Commerce"

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

The unofficial "Bartlesville Chamber of Commerce"

Postby oregontocal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Margie and I drove into Bartlesville yesterday and got to see inside the little house. It’s as cute inside as outside, perfect for one person who’s used to living in a 23’ RV. I wouldn’t have to buy any furniture because the necessities are there. Wish I’d taken my camera, though. Let’s see if I can describe it.

The front door opens into a small entryway with cupboards and a closet behind doors flush with the walls. Leads into a small living room with absolutely beautiful hardwood floors, a couch, and a couple of lamps. It seemed like the ceiling was quite high, too. The French doors are for bringing in furniture, etc. that is wider than the rather narrow door into the living room. Next to the living room is what’s probably meant to be a dining room, also with the same floors, but I’d most likely use it also as a sewing room. Built-in bookcases. The entryway into that room is very cool but a little hard to explain as the owner has attached two large off-white sculptures of wooden arms (yes, human arms), one on each side of the doorway, with hands almost clasped above. It’s the neatest looking thing I’ve ever seen. Looks like the hands and arms are supporting the doorway.

From there into a small kitchen with refrigerator, regular-size electric stove and oven with drawer for pans, double sink, and some cupboards, drawers, and shelves. Then there’s a pantry/laundry room with a door that leads out the back onto a small fenced cement patio.

Okay, turn left from the laundry room, go up a step into a tiny hallway, and turn right into the full bathroom with sink, toilet, and tub with shower. You can also get there from the front entry way. To the left head up a narrow flight of stairs — half way up to the right is a window seat — nice touch. From there you can look down into the kitchen. Keep going (the stairway is kind of short), duck your head, as this place was built for a short person like me, and you’re in the master bedroom under the eaves. I love it. There’s a bed and large dresser (width, not height). Off to the side is a closet—really a small room with bars on each side for hanging clothes and a window in the center. No door, so it looks just like part of the bedroom.

The property line is the telephone poles in the back, but the realtor said the lot to the rear, which extends from street to street behind another house, is for sale for $6,000. Since I wouldn’t need or want that size or shape lot, I asked him if a person could just purchase part of the lot, the part directly behind the house that includes the gravel driveway and enough space for the truck and RV and maybe even a small garden. He said that would be possible.

Anyway, I’m just dreaming anyway because there’s absolutely no way I could even think about buying it right now, no matter how much the owner could go down in price. In driving around, we found that Bartlesville is a nicely growing city, about 38,000 people, with a couple of modern shopping centers a couple of miles away, a Starbucks, Staples, an 8-screen movie theater, and so forth. Plus there are all the cultural activities such as the annual Mozart Festival: http://www.okmozart.com/

This little house is in the historic part of town. Realtor said it’s been on the market at least 3 months, so probably another 3 to go on the listing. I’d like to talk to the owner again at church Sunday, find out a little about how much he’s expecting from the sale, how he’d like to have it financed, and so forth. Perhaps he might even go for a lease-option arrangement. It would be nice if he would sell it for a cheaper price after the listing expires since he wouldn’t have to pay the agent’s commission. Then again, dream on.

On the way out of town, we bought regular gas for $2.34/gallon. Every place else in town was $2.35. Sunday it was $2.42. It’s $2.59 in Coffeyville.

Yes, it will most likely be much colder in the winter with lots of rain and even snow. But, I lived in Oregon for 35 years and got used to that. It’s warm in the summer and fall. There are so many places to explore—lakes, rivers, green areas, and so forth. Plus, Tulsa, Oklahoma City. Topeka, Joplin and Branson, Mo. aren’t that far away. In fact Tulsa is only about 40 miles south of Bartlesville. Compared to around here, Southern California is just crazy! I sound like the Chamber of Commerce or something. <g>

So, getting a job comes first, so I'm even going to get a haircut tomorrow. I can try to grow it again later because right now it's at that stage where it looks like ---- fill in the blank.
oregontocal

Re: The unofficial "Bartlesville Chamber of Commerce"

Postby asirimarco » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:06 pm

Sounds like a great plance and opportunity. If it is meant to be it will all come together for you. House sounds perfect especially if you can get the area in back too. Good luck on the haircut and the interview.
Ask about whether that is an area where they get the terrible ice storms in the winter. Have friends that live just north of Tulsa and they were without power for 3 weeks last winter because of the ice storms. Don't want to put a damper on your hopes - but its always good to check. When we were looking to buy one place in Ohio the owner said they only got 6 feet of snow in the winter, thought the salesperson would kick him. We said no thanks and came to Indiana. Glad we asked.
asirimarco

Return to General Talk