Three Days in New Mexico

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Three Days in New Mexico

Postby oregontocal » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:48 pm

I met my bicycling/RVing buddy Steve at Manzano State Park near Albuquerque, New Mexico after driving almost 400 miles on Friday. My usual limit is about 250 to 300 miles a day at 55 MPH, so that was a pretty tiring day. However, the park is small but beautiful, and that made the drive up into the mountains worth it.

Saturday morning we decided to do a little sightseeing since I had to unhook my pickup to get into the site. We drove into the small town of Manzano and bought water at the little store there. Saw this old church nearby which was surrounded by an old cemetery.

Sign at church
The church - notice the reinforcements on the walls.
Tombstone at one of the graves
One of the stained glass windows. Bet it's pretty from the inside with the sun shining through.

We saw a sign for a couple of campgrounds, so decided to check them out by driving up a rather steep road into the Manzano Forest. Why is it that everywhere I go lately, I run into either wildfires or the remnants of them? This man-made one occurred in May of this year. We couldn't get to the campgrounds because the road was closed.
Part of the burned area
Another view of the trees

On the way to the campground, I'd seen this sign along the side of the road. Steve had been there before and enjoyed it, so we next explored the Quarai Ruins for a while. The first thing I noticed was the difference in construction methods compared to the Casa Grande Ruins in Arizona the day before. Of course, those were much older.

Sign for the ruins
The large main building/mission.
Inside, with Steve's height to compare the size of the building
There are many, many different sized rooms attached to the church. This view is from the gardens looking back.
Village of Quarai sign
How about this sign? A little sobering, perhaps.
We walked along this path into the gardens.
It was a very windy day.
I took a a lot more pictures at the ruins, but this is probably enough to get an idea of the size of the place.

We were getting hungry, so drove into the town of Mountainair to find some lunch. Stopped at the historic Shaffer Hotel and Restaurant. Here's part of the ceiling in the restaurant. Although I know it's an ancient native symbol, I still can't get used to seeing the swastikas used as decoration.
While waiting for our food, we explored the lobby of the hotel.
Old menu - wish they still had these prices.

After eating my delicious green chile enchiladas and Steve his turkey pastrami sandwich, we headed back to the campground. It was a fun day--lots to see and do. Time for a nap and/or read a book.

Today, Sunday, we finished watching the movie "Remains of the Day," with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson, an English film about a butler (man-servant) whose focus and expertise at his job didn't allow him to show normal emotions or interests. Quite an interesting movie, a rather sad ending.

I hooked up and took off, intending to get as far as Amarillo, Texas today. However, after driving Hwy 40 east through many miles of road construction in which they'd narrowed the usual four lanes down to two, one each direction, I was ready to call it quits in Tucumcari, NM for the night. Found a decent RV park on Route 66 with full hookups for a very good price and settled in.

Tomorrow, Amarillo, Texas, then north through the tiny western panhandle of Oklahoma and into Kansas. Will be able to color in three new states on the map.
oregontocal

Re: Three Days in New Mexico

Postby oregontocal » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Interesting fact about Tucumcari from Wikipedia:

In 1901, the Chicago Rock Island and Pacific Railroad built a construction camp in the western portion of modern-day Quay County. Owing to numerous gunfights, the camp became known as Six Shooter Siding. After it grew into a permanent settlement, it was renamed Tucumcari in 1908. The name was taken from Tucumcari Mountain, which sat nearby the community.[3]
oregontocal

Postby snowball » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:02 am

that would be so interesting to visit!!
maybe we will find our way there some day!
Very nice pictures
sheila
drive safe ok?
snowball

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:14 am

Every time I think I've seen all there is to see in New Mexico I learn that there is something more I want to see. Its a fascinating state. Love that ceiling and the ruins. Keep the pictures coming.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby SeeyaGal » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:25 am

I love the old churches in Santa Fe :D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:51 pm

Chris, as always with you, a great travel report and photos. I agree on your reaction to the swastika, but i think my mother used to refer to it as the "wheel of life" that was taken by the nazi regime and had it's original meaning tainted. Any other ideas on that gals?
Cedar518

Postby asirimarco » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:56 pm

Great pictures. Now I want to spend a lot of time in New Mexico. The US has so many wonderful things to see.
Did you get a chance to see some of the murals in Tucumcari? We met the artist/painter when we were there a couple of years ago.
asirimarco

Return to General Talk