Bridges of Parke County

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Bridges of Parke County

Postby asirimarco » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:59 pm

For some reason I seem to be able to stay on line today - maybe the wind is blowing my way. Went into Rockville this a.m. and Bill ate some Fried Vegetables that must have included a spinach fritter - he is allergic to spinach and got so sick I drove back to campground. Still laid up. any way
This is the Mecca Bridge built in 1873, 150 ' long
Almost all of the bridges are painted red - This is the Zacke Cox Bridge, built 1908 just 54' long very pretty drive to it
The Bridgeton Bridge and Mill - a teenage arsonist burnt this one down in 2005 by a teenager (he was caught trying to burn another one down) it was rebuilt in 2006 - the first time we were here was just after it was destroyed
The Crooks Bridge built in 1856 132' long took photo out one of its windows
Mansfield Bridge - what we could see of it - it has a weight limit of 5 tons hummmm 5 x 2000 = 10,000. people average weight of 150 lbs 150 x 67 = 10,050 I think the bridge was over its weight limit this day.Image
The Marshall Bridge in the distance - built 1917 (a new one) only 56' long
another view from the campground - so peaceful here - I've seen a couple of people fishing in the lakes
country weather stationImage
Of the bridges we could drive through 3 tons was the smallest weight limit and it did creak and groan as we went over it.
More info about the vacation so far is on my blog.
asirimarco

Re: Bridges of Parke County

Postby snowball » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:12 am

hopefully your husband is feeling better now. Sorry your day got cut short!
enjoyed the photos have seen the covered bridges in Iowa can't remember being able to drive on them. Amazed that they rebuilt the one. Can't understand the desire that people have to distroy things. So sad
Enjoy your time love the lake that does look peacefull
sheila
snowball

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:16 am

Hopefully, Bill is feeling better now.....I can relate.....found out 5 years ago that I'm allergic to "fresh fennel"....don't want to experience that ever again... :(
The photos are great.....and it looks like you had a great time...

Lori
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:26 pm

Great bridge pics,.... and what a shame that one had been burned down by a teenager,... someday that kid will know what he did,.. for now I'm sure it is just a "prank" in his mind. Silly kid. Sad results.

I hope Bill is all on the mend by now,... being sick is no fun!
Cedar518

Return to General Talk