Unbelievable Comparison Pictures

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Unbelievable Comparison Pictures

Postby Bethers » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:49 pm

Here's a page on one of our government websites with some daunting before and after pictures of a TX coastal town - aerial pics taken just days before Ike, then 2 days after Ike -

http://coastal.er.usgs.gov/hurricanes/i ... livar.html
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Unbelievable Comparison Pictures

Postby MsBHaven » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:32 am

Unbelievable definitely describes the photos. Very sad.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby mtngal » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:39 am

wow, reminds me of the San Diego fires a few years ago when hundreds of homes were lost.
Diana
mtngal

Postby avalen » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:10 pm

holy moly, the devistation is incredible, I spent quite a bit of time studying
those photographs and even some of the streets are gone, or they are just
covered with sand. There is no more green, everything is brown. :cry:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby SeeyaGal » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:19 pm

Well I assume everyone that builds in places like these have Insurance to cover them losing their homes, I really feel for the ones that don't and lordy some lost EVERYTHING!!! Really Sad :cry:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:03 am

I'm sorry for those suffering the loss of their homes/vacation homes,....but geeeeesh! to build right on the water on the Gulf is just playing a waiting game with Mother Nature! Talk about taking a gamble! I'd enjoy that area, but in something with wheels so i could snag it up the road if a storm was threatening.
Cedar518

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:21 am

I, too, wonder about building so close to the water, anywhere. Just like people in California that keep building on the hills that are so prone to crumbling away when it rains; or the ones that won't trim their brush 200 yards around their homes in fire prone areas. With so many hurricanes down there I wonder if they can even get insurance or the cost if they can. We had a lot of evacuees up here in Kerrville. I can't even imagine what it would be like to just have to wait and see if you have anything to go back to.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Getupngo » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:20 am

Wow. And that's just one little patch of ground ... compared to the entirety of it. Geez.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:36 am

I'd hazard a guess that most of those people didn't have insurance. Most of those homes and building probably wouldn't pass a requirement in TX - having a windstorm certificate - which you then need to get the insurance for wind, etc here. And if they do pass - that insurance is high. Which actually makes sense, as insurers know that eventually, it will be damaged, if not destroyed.

I once looked at buying a piece of property on a lake. The lake I was looking at, turns out the homes there flooded about every 10 years. Most of the people there could no longer get insurance. But they sell like hotcakes anyway, cuz the people just "have to be there". Kind of like those building on the mountains that will eventually slide away in California. I couldn't and wouldn't take that risk - there are lots of other lakes, etc out there where I could buy without that damage.

As for the TX shore - I'd rather be in my rv, which is movable - than own right along the shoreline. But that entire shore will build back up - and people will continue to buy - and continue to not afford insurance. Yep, I feel sorry for their loss, but on the other hand, I think people have to start realizing that some purchases just shouldn't be made - some areas just shouldn't be used the way they are. But they always will be. Now, the places damaged inland - and in other states, etc - those are things that no one can predict - and those people I truly feel sorry for. And hope they all do have insurance.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby SeeyaGal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:13 pm

I am soooo thankful my home has wheels and I can get all of us AND the house out of harms way!!! Yep I head to drier ground or places where there are no fires. We sit in the campgrounds over weekends and don't leave till Tuesday try to travel during week days and not rush hour times and like the Red roads to avoid traffic accidents. I want to live to be a little old lady in my RV.
I say my prayers everyday for safe journeys and safe journeys for everyone else. I am blessed!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:41 am

Simply amazing! Thanks for sharing that website.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Return to General Talk