IKE......Chapter 2

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

IKE......Chapter 2

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:24 pm

Hello, all.....from WINDY Kentucky!!! Yeap.....Ike made it this far with his wind and some rain today......it sure was rocking the 5er when we got up this morning and did it all day.....High wind advisories all day......and to boot, the folks in Louisville are out of electric as the wind tore up trees and utility poles all over the place.....We're good here, as Taylorsville area is about 25 miles from Louisville and the electric is underground....also it's in a different grid......but, Mike's very pregnant daughter and family are without electric this evening and the "powers to be" state that it will be a minimum of 3 days until they are restored to electricty.....can't get into Louisville this evening as the streets and roads are blocked with trees, etc.....so, Ernie & Mike are going to pack up the generators from our camper and their camper tomorrow morning, along with chains saws, etc. and make the trip into town to get their fridge and freezer going again.....EVERYONE there is fine, just no lights.....we're just praying "little Adam" doesn't decide not to wait for his planned entrance into this world on the 22nd...and show up a week early...... :shock: :) Adam is her 4th, so here's hoping..... ;)

No wind damage here other than our satellite dish falling over, but it's up and going again.....so all is well.....the guys even got to watch their NASCAR today, via the RV antenna on the 5er......seems the link was lost from the local channels on the dish......I knew that A/B switch we bought would come in handy.....

Well, that's all the news fit to print from here..... :D

Lori
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Re: IKE......Chapter 2

Postby Bethers » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:34 pm

Strange - you got more wind and damage from Ike in Kentucky than I got - I was so lucky Ike turned north for his entrance into the gulf of TX - but I so hate that my good luck was the bad luck of so many others. I just don't understand how so many could stay put after they new he was coming in where they lived.

My prayers are for the new little tyke waiting to come into this world. Hope they get the power, etc first.

Glad that you are all safe.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Lori
have you been able to get the stations again? If not your dish may have been damaged when if fell over. Can't tell you how many dishes we've replaced in the year we have been retired yes I can 4 but who is counting actually think this dish is the 4th dishes for 4 replaced... and its really hard to tell if they have been damaged just a slight dent will take them out
Glad other than that you are ok
Sheila
snowball

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:39 am

Thanks for the info, Sheila.......and the dish is fine....no dents.......the guys were watching local stations via the antenna cause it was too darn windy to put the dish back up until the evening......everything is working fine now.....

Up date at this time.......the guys are loading up the generators and heading in......will keep you all posted....

Lori
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2008 Toyota Tundra
rvgrammy1953

Postby asirimarco » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:16 am

know what you mean about the wind - we are just 65 miles due north of Louisville and had a devil of a time with the wind. lost electric, satellite TV and Internet off and on all day long. didn't get much rain but the wind was bad. i see on TV this a.m. lots of schools around this area are closed due to no power and in the northern part of the state due to flooding.
asirimarco

Postby Liz » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:19 am

20 to 30 mph winds all night long here in NH....Ike waving goodbye. Lots of small stuff out of the trees, but no big trees `down this am. Roe rousted a porcupine from under the camp...my brother dispatched it with a 22 before Roe made contact.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Redetotry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:17 am

Ike blew through here too, our power has been off since yesterday about nine AM auuugggh I have m chest freezer full of my years supply of blueberrys and grapes wonder how long they will stay frozen! They say power should be on today. I am not into pioneer life, I did figure out how to light my gas stove with a match and not blow us up.

It is hard to type on this new keyboard I'm at Panera on the other side of town where they have power using my new MacBook it was so easy to connect to their free wireless. My favorite coffee spot is closed due to the storm there is lots of damage around town and streets blocked. We were lucky none of our trees came down in this one but neighbors not so lucky and a couple had trees inside there homes!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:54 pm

Up date from here.......Mike & Donna's kids are still without power, but have our & Mike's generator going for the fridge, freezer, and some lights in the house....but thank goodness the baby hasn't made his appearance and the new Mommy is doing fine.....

Donna & I ran down to the "Hobby Lobby" for some yarn......I just found out that I'm to be a "Great-Aunt" again in Feb. and March.....Nephew & his wife are expecting in Feb....1 baby......and a niece is due in March with "twins"......so found a couple new baby afghan patterns and needed yarn..... :) Boy, on our way there saw trees and electric wires tangled all over the place....but the electric company was working hard at getting everything straightened out.....

It's cooler here today....high about 73 degrees......big difference from 97degrees on Sat..

Lori
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2008 Toyota Tundra
rvgrammy1953

Postby SeeyaGal » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:39 am

A friend sent me these photo's, so glad I am safe and sound in the Northwest but my heart just greives for those in Texas
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/0 ... fe_of.html
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby asirimarco » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:17 pm

just read in the paper that over 6,000 customers in central Indiana are still without power and 3 school districts are still closed. he was one unfriendly visiter. except for the mess we are fine up here on the hill.
and then north western Indiana is under water - some towns with up to 5 feet of water in the streets.
gee....the fires out west, floods in the midwest - guess we'd better watch out for the locusts....
asirimarco

Postby Paulette » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:04 pm

Step-sister in League City Texas, just south of Houston, still without power. Luckily they have a generator cause her hubby is on o2 24/7 and the 02 place is just up the road so they can get there and swap out portable containers!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby avalen » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:11 pm

such total devistation :( how sad for all those people
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Echo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:24 am

Saw this little article in an online new thing. From New Zealand of all places. But I loved the story. It's the stories like this, about just the regular people that restore your faith in our human race.

Hope it will still come thru.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepress/w ... a4560.html
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Return to General Talk