Handguns

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Handguns

Postby Bethers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:37 pm

kelpie wrote:One last comment - I really don't see what the difference in Rving and being at home for guns. What I mean to say is if you have/use a gun in your sticks & Bricks home and are comfortable with it, then being in an RV shouldn't change anything. Ditto to NOT having one. If you don't have one in home for whatever reason, why have one in the RV. How exactly does that change anything?

Agree 100% Kellie! Some people think we're putting ourselves into more danger. I don't see it that way - in fact, if anything, the opposite. JMHO
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Redwisher » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:29 pm

I think all of the ladies have offered some great advice.

If you are still thinking about getting a gun, visit some gun shops and talk with the staff. I took a "beginners" class and really became much more comfortable with using a gun. I had been gifted a used gun many years ago, and always thought that if the need arose, I could just pick it up, load it, and figure out what to do. Boy was I mistaken!

But the gun class was very educational and gave me confidence in handling the gun. Little things like being able to tell if it was loaded or not. Okay, that is obviously not so little.

I then furthered my training with practice sessions and then taking the class for my carry permit. Also very worthwhile. By then the staff got to know me, and were always offering tips and advice.

Many of the gun shops have "rental" guns where you can try different weapons to find something you like.

One thing I do not think I saw mentioned was having gun locks and/or a safe. I keep my guns in a small push button safe right next to my bed. I also keep them fully loaded. Easy access if I need a gun, yet safety when nieces/nephews or other children visit. Also prevents the gun being stolen if someone breaks into my house. I plan on mounting one of these safes on my new yet-to-be-found RV.

Finally, a gun I would recommend for a woman is a Keltec. They are very small and light guns so they work well for ladies. They come in different sizes depending on the ammo they use, so a lady can further refine what she feels comfortable with. I have a .32 with a small clip-on holster. I can comfortably fit it in the small of my back on the rare occasion I feel I need to carry a gun. The gun I was gifted is a Colt .380 which is too heavy as a carry gun, but would be the first gun out of my safe if I thought I had an intruder.

I know this does not answer your question about if you could really use the gun if needed. Only you can answer that. I wish you luck with your decision!
Redwisher

Postby Pookie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Signed up for a Gun Safety Class on Jan 29 and then my Carry Concealed class a few weeks after that. I will then be able to make a much more educated decision on what to do from there.
Cindy aka Pookie, (traveling with my King of the Road, aka KOTR)
2010 26' Cruiser Viewfinder
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Pookie

Previous

Return to General Talk