Handguns

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Handguns

Postby Gentleladybear » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:57 pm

We are on a debate that can go on forever. BUT have any of you ever been face to face with someone high on drugs that is angry and pumped up on adrenalin? That mace, wasp spray or whatever type spray you use, sounds very good, BUT if you are close enough to a drugged up assailant that you can spray him you are in trouble. A drugged up, angry, pumped up on adrenalin person will hurt you or kill you.

They are stronger, more resistant to sprays than anyone you have ever come face to face with. They will stop for a moment and come at you again. Sometime around a campfire, ask me how I know this.

Bottom line a person like that you better be able to stop them while they are 30 feet from you, not close enough to touch them.

Think carefully about your choices of protection, once you make that decision, don't discuss it, just have it there for your safety.

Soap box is now being put away.

Love you all and want you safe.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby WickedLady » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:16 pm

When I was on the police force a drunk driver was brought in. When he decided to fight mace had no effect. It took 3 of our officers and a sheriff's deputy to take him down. Wasp spray might stop the common thief but don't count on it.
WickedLady

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:13 am

Saw a police officer's car video that showed a man on PCP that was still charging the officer even tho he had taken a shotgun directly to the chest. The coroner said he was actually dead from the shot but was still charging the office. Doubt mace or any spray would have helped. The problem, of course, is that druggies break in and steal things to support their habit. A "normal" thief would run off if he hears a dog bark or thinks someone is inside. I was told by the officers I worked with that if I pulled a gun I had to be able to shoot BEFORE the person got close enough to me to take it away. You tell them to stop, once, then you shoot.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby WickedLady » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:55 pm

If he was coming at me I wouldn't take the time to tell him to stop :x
WickedLady

Postby flick4411 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Ditto what Wicked said...

Li Lammert
Winnebago Aspect 30C
Cat Owner--or is it Owned by Cats?
(Encino and the Kuwaiti Kitty, Habbibi)
flick4411

Postby sharon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 am

Just thought ya'll might be interested in this:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/crime/a/wasp_spray.htm

That being said, yes I carry, in the rv. Not on me or in the car. Yes, I'm trained, dad was a cop. I would have no problem what-so-ever going for a kill shot if someone broke into my home or rv.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Charlene » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:19 am

Me and hubby both have CCW's.

How it works in most states, is you have to get your pistol license first in your home state, and other states that have a reciprocity agreement with your home state will issue you a non-resident license to carry when your in their state.

When traveling in your RV with a pistol, be very careful, each state has different laws.

For instance, don't get caught in New York with a pistol if you are not a resident or don't have a pistol license from NY.

They don't recognize any pistol license but their own, and you will go directly to jail!

Here is a very good site that will tell you the laws in each state.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Charlene
Charlene

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:19 am

sharon wrote:Just thought ya'll might be interested in this:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/crime/a/wasp_spray.htm

That being said, yes I carry, in the rv. Not on me or in the car. Yes, I'm trained, dad was a cop. I would have no problem what-so-ever going for a kill shot if someone broke into my home or rv.

That last paragraph was very interesting!

mitch5252

Postby sharon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Which part was interesting and why????
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:29 pm

Last two paragraphs:

To my knowledge, no one has ever tested or documented the effectiveness of insecticide sprays for self-defense.

One reader who accidentally received a dose of wasp spray while using it around his home told me he was surprised at how little irritation he felt. "A gust of wind caused a good splash of the spray to come right back into my right eye," he wrote. "I panicked and started to run to a source of water, only to find there was no adverse reaction at all, no more than being squirted with a water pistol. It took me at least ten seconds to get to the water, and I rinsed it off, and never felt anything from it."
mitch5252

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:27 pm

That was my question. Who actually tested the effectiveness of the spray? Any volunteers?? :roll: :shock:
AlmostThere

Postby sharon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:33 pm

:lol: :lol: Thought you were talking about my propensity for shooting idiots that messed with me or mine! :lol:

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby cpatinjones » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi,

I own a gun (my whole family are gun advocates). I do want to get my concealed weapon license. I pray I will never be put in a situation where I would have to us it.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby Pookie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Wow, wow and wow. So much great information here. Thanks so much ladies for sharing your wealth of knowledge on this subject. I am sure this debate could go on forever, but at some point, I have to make my decision and go forward. Which is precisely what I intend to do :!: . (and by all means, plan on calling before I just show up on any of your doorsteps :shock:
Cindy aka Pookie, (traveling with my King of the Road, aka KOTR)
2010 26' Cruiser Viewfinder
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Pookie

Postby kelpie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:34 pm

One last comment - I really don't see what the difference in Rving and being at home for guns. What I mean to say is if you have/use a gun in your sticks & Bricks home and are comfortable with it, then being in an RV shouldn't change anything. Ditto to NOT having one. If you don't have one in home for whatever reason, why have one in the RV. How exactly does that change anything?
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk