Handguns

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Handguns

Postby Pookie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:19 am

Good Sunday morning ladies :D .

I have enjoyed reading through the posts here, feeling the love, laughing at the jabbing, and oh yeah gleaning the mounds of great information. (and we haven't even taken the TT out yet :oops: !!)

My question of the day has to do with handguns. I was not raised with guns, but most certainly believe in our right to protect ourselves. My husband was however raised with and around them and feels very comfortable. He is in the process of getting his CCDW license and suggests that I do the same beofre we set out on our travels.

There will be times when I will be alone in the TT while he heads back to Louisville to work, etc. and I would feel safer if I had a weapon, or at least I think I would.

Here's my question: if I am not sure that I could "shoot to kill", should I even consider having a gun? Would it be better to arm myself with something else, i.e. mace ?
Thankfully, I have never found myself in the position to have to protect myself or my family from an intruder, though I know that I could if someone threatened my children, or grandchildren especially.

Please help me think this thru :|
Cindy aka Pookie, (traveling with my King of the Road, aka KOTR)
2010 26' Cruiser Viewfinder
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Pookie

Re: Handguns

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:29 am

Hi, Pookie!

I carry. I have a permit to carry. But if you're not sure you could use a gun for its intended purpose and aren't so comfortable around guns, I say don't carry...could end up getting you in more trouble...

Lots of women here have mentioned they carry wasp spray. I plan to add some of that to a cabinet in the trailer. I also carry bear spray.

If you search (in the upper right corner) "wasp spray", you'll come up with a thread or two where guns were discussed in the past.

You'll come to the right decision for you!

mitch5252

Postby flick4411 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:35 am

Cindy

In light of yesterday's events in Tucson, I'm sick about the use of guns in this country. I believe in the right to own weapons; but I strongly believe that all privately owned weapons should be registered--just like we do with vehicles. But that's my own opinion, and I recognize that not everyone agrees!

But that being said, when I take off across the country to head to my real home in WA in early 2012, I plan on having a hand gun of some sort. I've been researching hand guns and which are best for women. My parents, even into their 70s, traveled in their RV with a hand gun and a shotgun. Too many whackos out there; some of whom live in the state parks while others aren't far away from the parks hiding out in the forests making Gawd-knows-what like meth. One cannot reason with a meth-head nor should you...if they try to break in, you have to be able to protect yourself. And from what I've read, even the anti-bear sprays aren't effective with these people.

I, like you, think I couldn't shoot to kill--anything! I can't fathom the idea of going out and hunting deer, rabbits, birds, etc. But I do believe, in my heart of hearts, that if I were theatened, I could shoot anything. I think the key is to be comfortable with the weapon. We get comfortable by training and practice. I plan on heading into my local police station and talking to them about what they recommend weapon wise, and then I am going to ask where there is a range where I can practice. Some states require you to qualify before you can get a license. I'm not sure if that applies here in VA, but I will be absolutely sure that I completely understand how the gun works, be competent in its use, and, hopefully, will NEVER EVER have to use it. But if I need it, it WILL be in the RV as I travel.

will be checking back to see what others have to say... Thanks Cindy for posting...I've been cogitating for a week or so on whether I was going to bring up this topic...

Li Lammert
Winnebago Aspect 30C
Cat Owner--or is it Owned by Cats?
(Encino and the Kuwaiti Kitty, Habbibi)
flick4411

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:09 pm

I, for one, would be like Barney Fife with a gun in my hand! :shock:
I plan on camping in areas where I feel the safest, take precautions and leave the rest to my Maker. Oh, and perhaps get some "canned air horn" as I've never been able to scream or yell loudly. Naive? Perhaps, but it's my life and what I feel comfortable with.
AlmostThere

Postby avalen » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:21 pm

you wonder about being comfortable with a gun, if you take the class and do some
target practice and such, you just might be surprised in yourself. You will either find
yourself to be a natural or decide you hate it. At least you would know you made
the right decision in the end, that is to either have one or not.
I was married to a hunter (meat hunter, not a trophy hunter) and I used to have a
real nice little pistol but after moving to AZ and having the grandsons living in my
house I decided I didn't feel safe having it around. I had exhubby drive up and get
it. Now I wish I had it but I can always get another one later on down the road,
which I probably will do.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:30 pm

I grew up around guns, always had rifles, shotguns and BB guns propped in the corner of the kitchen by the front door in the farmhouse I grew up in. I've shot them all, even helped clean them, but just never got interested. But I know how I am when faced with danger. Been there, done that!! I would not trust myself to not get hurt from my own stupidity.
AlmostThere

Postby OutandAbout » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:33 pm

I don't know about my owning a gun. I will say I have and have used the wasp spray. Found some kids trying to undo the tie downs on my truck camper. Guess they had nothing better to do in the CG. Anyway, I snuck out through the emergency exit and let them have a full dose of the spray. I like being 20+ feet away and getting results. I keep a can in the truck (front seat) and in the camper and of course all over the house. ;) This works for me, for now. I suppose you could always have both. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby flick4411 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:47 pm

No matter what I decide about a gun, I am convinced by all you smart ladies that I will have multiple cans of wasp spray. I have used it for its intended purpose, and it works well at a long distance. Dunno why I never heard of it for self-protection before, but I'm gonna email all my single girlfriends and tell them we all need to purchase a couple of cans and keep them by our bed/doors for self-protection in our houses too! Such a fab idea!!!

Li Lammert
Winnebago Aspect 30C
Cat Owner--or is it Owned by Cats?
(Encino and the Kuwaiti Kitty, Habbibi)
flick4411

Postby Pookie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks, I knew I would get lots of helpful advice ! Ya'll have given me lots to think about. I am most definitely getting lots of wasp spray in the meantime.

AlmostThere wrote:I, for one, would be like Barney Fife with a gun in my hand! :shock:

Oh how I can relate. I went to the range with my husband yesterday, and he kept jumping out of my way when I would turn around with gun in hand to ask him a question :oops:. Maybe, unlike Barney, Andy shouldn't even give me one bullet :!: .

avalen wrote:you wonder about being comfortable with a gun, if you take the class and do some
target practice and such, you just might be surprised in yourself. You will either find
yourself to be a natural or decide you hate it. At least you would know you made
the right decision in the end, that is to either have one or not.

I have decided to take your advice, Ava, and take a gun safety class and keep going to the range before going any further with this (my husband appreciates this ;) ).
Cindy aka Pookie, (traveling with my King of the Road, aka KOTR)
2010 26' Cruiser Viewfinder
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Pookie

Postby JudyJB » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:37 pm

I have been lurking and going back and forth in my mind about buying an RV. (I still don't know where I want to live when I retire in two years, so an rv might help.) I do a lot of traveling alone, so I have only a small worry about personal safety, especially since I plan to park only where there are other people about.

One thing I have done in my condo, which I have been thinking about doing for a motor home, is I have an alarm system at my doors which is not connected to an alarm company. I didn't get it connected to an alarm company becuase of the problem with false alarms. All it does, which I think is enough deterrant for almost all situations, is make a horribly loud noise if someone opens the door. I figure it will at least notify my neighbors something is wrong and wake them up.

The idea of a handgun is a bit scary because I also know that I could not really use it. I do like the idea of an canned airhorn, but I might not be able to find it quickly enough in an emergency.

Does anyone know if it is possible to attach such an alarm to a door and the passenger doors of a CLass C RV?

JudyJB
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:51 pm

mitch5252

Postby Marslet » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:33 pm

I too like Mitch am packing and I have a concealed license too. Had to take a safety course, pass it, go to the range and prove I knew which end of the barrel the bullet came out of :lol: I too have struggled if I could actually shoot, and I would hate to do it, but when it came down to them or me, I choose me.
I don't know about anyone else, but my handguns are registered.

Marslet

Marslet

Postby Echo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:17 pm

Getting a permit to carry is something I've kicked around for a very long time. My Dad had his permit to carry concealed. I just have never gotten around to doing it tho. But the idea is getting more and more 'think' time as Kelly and I do this workamper thing. One thing I will have to check out is what the laws are for carrying from state to state. I know that you can't carry in NYC and I believe in DC. But am not sure of the other states.

I am well use to guns whether shotguns, rifles or handguns so I wouldn't be nervous or worried about having one around. My parents bought my Grandfathers old farm house when I was still in my young teens. Had my own 20g pump shotgun. When I would stay up there by myself that thing was always loaded and propped in the corner!!! Had a slug loaded in the barrel then would alternate shot with slug for a finished load. I have NO doubt what so ever that I could shoot to kill. Especially if they were threatening Kelly!!! And like Marslet says??? Them or me??? I would certainly choose ME!!!

And if you do EVER have to shoot someone??? Shoot to KILL!! Dead azzholes can tell no tales or lies in court. That was advice from numerous state troopers, 2 sheriffs deputies and a lot of cops. Even had a juvie case worker and a prison guard tell me that. :D And I wasn't even thinking about a handgun at that time. But was asking advise from above law people when my first husband and I split up. The juvie case worker surprised me the most tho!!! He went further to tell me that if I had to make a case of self defense? To get a knife out of the kitchen or better yet a jackknife clean it good and then put it in their hand! And yeah I could do that too.

As to safety courses??? I can't advocate them enough. Learn as much as you can, become as good a shot as you can and get comfortable!!!
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:52 pm

I'm one of those who does not carry a gun. If I could survive all these years driving around cities much more dangerous than most places I go in the rv, why would I think I need it more now (or you would???). I have been privvy to the other side of guns - seeing the people who have them and don't know what they are doing or won't really use them, etc - be the ones their own gun gets turned on. I watched this to the extent of seeing a neighbor's daughter killed by the gun in their house to protect them - by another family member - not intentionally. And having a gun wouldn't protect you from that crazy in AZ.

That said, IF you intend to really learn how to use it and feel comfortable using it, etc, You have that right. Just remember when traveling - you don't have that right everywhere. Do not try to take a gun into Canada, for example.

And, for most gun owners, the gun needed in an incident will either not make it out in time to be of use OR will end up used against you. So, yes, make sure you really learn how to use it, where to keep it, etc etc.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:04 pm

I got my first personal gun when I worked for the San Diego Police Department. Went to the range and became familiar with it.

First, you ONLY point a gun at someone with the INTENT to kill, not just wound. If you can't do this, you SHOULD NOT have a gun. While you're hesitating the bad guy will take the gun away from you and you WILL get hurt. Also, if only wounded the bad guy due to adrenaline, most likely will continue coming after you and now he's REALLY angry.

As for permits to carry; remember they are mostly good ONLY in the state you get it in. There are a lot of states who will not honor a CCW from another state. I don't think you need a permit in any states just to have a gun inside your "Home". A CCW is to carry a gun in your purse, car, etc which I doubt is necessary.

If you do have a gun in your RV don't advertise it with any window stickers, etc. If you do its just asking for a burglary. Guns sell really well on the street.

As for licensing, I have really mixed feelings. Years ago the Union Tribune newspaper took the Sheriffs department to court and forced them to release all the information on "licensed gun owners". They promptly printed their names AND ADDRESSES. Talk about a shopping list for thieves. That was when I vowed to never register my gun.

I like wasp spray for everyone. You don't have to be any closer than 20' and it will stop someone immediately if sprayed in the eyes. Mace, you need to be closer and the spray is more wide spread. You also need to be close for tasers.

When I purchased my last gun the man gave me a long lecture. Keep UNLOADED gun separate from ammunition and keep a trigger lock on when not in use. My question to him was; "Ok, lets see. Someone is breaking into my RV and I tell him to 'Wait just a minute while I get my gun and then go get the bullets and load it'???????? An unloaded gun is a good paperweight.

Personally,
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Next

Return to General Talk