Back roads route Texas to Florida

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Back roads route Texas to Florida

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:42 am

Have never gone east from Kerrville. Friend and I want to go to St Andrews SP near Panama City in Florida in Feb/Mar. Does anyone have a route suggestion that helps me avoid major cities and their traffic? Don't mind going out of my way and adding miles to the trip to avoid big cities. Help!
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: Back roads route Texas to Florida

Postby Sparkle » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:42 pm

I went from St. Andrews to Texas by back route, but I'll have to look at my map and post tomorrow. Beware - I was very disapointed by St. Andrews. Where the campsite is located there are huge concrete looking rocks preventing you from getting near the water. The actual beach is on the other side and I guess you could drive or they have busses. I stayed one night and left. Just a little furthur East is Mexico Beach which I LOVE! It was featured on the movie The Second Hand Lions. Pure white sand, gorgeous waves, very few people and in November at least, tons of shells.
Sparkle

Postby Bethers » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:08 pm

I also took back routes from FL to TX, tho - so can help you there, too - I always do the backroads, scenic routes when I can. One place I spent the night was a small rv park across from Magnolia Beach in TX - this pic IS Magnolia Beach - where you can boondock for free - great area - I needed to dump that night :)

Then, this is a pic of me driving on that beach road - and look at what my GPS is telling me:

That's a reminder - don't always believe your GPS lol

I stayed at a Passport America park in Alabama where the people where super friendly. The park wasn't anything special - but just the people would have me go back - if you're interested in the park, I'll look it up for you. It was a little off the beaten track - but I like that :)

I liked Mexico Beach also. And if you go a little further inland that time of year - you might be able to get a GTG doing with several of the FL women - what fun that would be!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:32 pm

Haven't been to the beach in ages - want to walk the beach and look for shells, listen to the ocean and smell it. We're thinking of going the end of Feb so probably no swimming.

Can I trust Sparkle's recommendation? AFter all she had her "beach front property". Anyone interested in meeting us there sometime in Feb or early March?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Gentleladybear » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:21 pm

Guess I lost the post I typed, so will give it again.

If you take 98 along the coast in Florida you will drive right along beside the beach. It is a beautiful drive.

Three places I stayed along the way was Topsail State Park which is near Pensacola. It is a true resort. Beautiful sites there.

Grayton Beach which is more rustic, and you will have to drive to the beach.

State park on St. George's Island which is a beautiful location. wonderful drive to the park and very much off the beaten path.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/topsai ... efault.cfm

http://www.floridastateparks.org/grayto ... efault.cfm

http://www.floridastateparks.org/stjoseph/default.cfm

Have a great time on your trip and post pictures to share with us.

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:39 pm

Hey, Karen....We have to talk about this at the TX GTG!!! Cause we're heading to Fl about the same time after doing Corpus Christi in Dec.,Jan,Feb......I feel an song coming on...... :lol: It's from "Paint Your Wagon"....I think......"I was born under a wondering STAR......" :lol: :lol: I see a "Wagon Train" going east from TX..... ;) ;)

Lori
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby MsBHaven » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Karen, please keep me posted when you will be in that part of Florida. I went to Perdido Key (next to Orange Beach and Gulf Shores, AL) to a Playa Del Rio campground last February for a few days. I have been to Topsail that was mentioned above. It was a very nice, clean park with bike riding across the dunes to the ocean or a little trolley in the park, or within walking distance.

I also feeling the urge to see the ocean again. Fall is starting to arrive in TN, the leaves are already falling.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby Lotus » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:37 pm

Karen,
Nothing to offer in directions because I'm totally directionally challenged! If you stay at St. Andrews, you can easily make a day trip to St. George Island. That was our annual beach destination (St. George) for many years, and we loved it. At that time, no crowds, lots of shelling, no attractions, etc......just the beach. I'm sure it's changed some, and we recently talked about visiting it again. To go to St. George you have to drive thru Appalachicola...a small fishing town. They used to have some neat artisans shops to visit, a restored hotel.....hurricanes have hit it several times so not sure what's left now. Keep us posted on your trip. Wow, I'm there now in my mind!!

Becky
Lotus

Postby Sparkle » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:39 pm

I'm not sure of the roads I took. I know I dipped down into Lousiana. Had an enforced stay at Houma due to a breakdown. Loved it, went on a swamp tour. Beth, where is Magnolia Beach? I hadn'theard of that one.
Sparkle

Postby Gentleladybear » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:22 pm

Lotus Appalachacola even with the hurricanes through there looks about the same. I was there last year and stayed on St George's Island. The Park on St. George's shows a lot of hurricane damage. Shifted the dunes over a couple of the walk ways. They are in the process of fixing things.

It is still a beautiful beach area.

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Lotus » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:41 pm

Nan,
Thanks for the update on Appalachicola and St. George. We'll make it again one of these days!

Becky
Lotus

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:46 pm

Oh my gosh - I know of a beach you can boondock on that Sparkle hadn't heard of? I don't believe it :D

Sparkle, it's a couple hours north of Port A - immediately south of Port Lavaca. I really enjoyed it there - and would have stayed on the beach there for several days if I hadn't needed to get here. Found it by accident - which is another reason I take the backroads.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:16 pm

The places you find by accident are generally the best, just because they are not well known.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Sparkle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks Beth, after this weekend I'll need a beach!
Sparkle

Return to General Talk