Safety & Security

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Safety & Security

Postby Imthebeachgirl » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi all...
I was just curious as to what, if anything, you all use as far as keeping yourself safe & secure? Especially those gals out there that are traveling alone. I have always carried pepper spray with me in my "tote bag" that goes with me pretty much everywhere.

Well, this morning while I was taking a bike ride, about a block away, I came upon 2 roaming pit bull type (Cujo) dogs. (These 2 dogs live right behind me and get out alot). I have been bothered by them before, where they have literally blocked my driveway and stood right there barking at me...IN MY OWN DRIVEWAY!!! They are not friendly dogs, and I blame the owners, not the dogs. Of course, just my luck, one started running towards me, but I was able to peddle away. Did not have my handy, dandy pepper spray with me..after my ride, I came home to check and see if the container I had still worked. I got two sprays out it and it died. Gonna buy another container tomorrow. I'm glad I didn't need to use it, but it would have been nice to know it was there. Being home for a few weeks now, I will be out walking/biking more and will be bringing it with me....rather be safe than sorry!

So, what are your thoughts on this, not the dog part, but the security part....?
Laurie

Imthebeachgirl

Re: Safety & Security

Postby Bethers » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:13 pm

No different traveling than like you at home - most important is being aware of your surroundings. That's what I was always taught and what I still try to do. If I'm some place that for any reason feels uncomfortable to me - I leave. I don't second guess that type of instinct.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Different strokes...I carry both.
(except going to Canada. Can't take a gun into Canada, nor a pepper spray/mace, but bear spray is legal!)

Here's a lengthy discussion we had a while ago:

http://womenrv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3458&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=wasp+spray

ON EDIT: Here's another link to a similar discussion:

http://www.womenrv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2592&p=27495&hilit=gun#p27495

mitch5252

Postby snowball » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 pm

read where wasp spray works cheaper sprays further does the same and isn't illegal!
rarely have felt unsafe but travel with dh
sheila
snowball

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:34 am

Have two big dogs who will lick you to death, a gun and wasp spray. All that said, I've only felt uncomfortable once. Was going to overnight at a rest stop but there was only one other vehicle there and I felt uncomfortable with the occupants so I drove off. As Beth said, listen you your instincts. If anything makes you uncomfortable, leave.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby sharon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:38 am

Also, I would call animal control or the police about those dogs. As you said, it's not the dog's fault it's the owners and I would sure hate to see them destroyed or in a shelter, but what if that had been a kid on a bike and something happened?
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby OutandAbout » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:15 pm

I agree with Sharon. Call either about the dogs. I vote for wasp spray, it's very handy and will probably fit in a water bottle holder on the bicycle. Listened to a discussion about Wasp spray being used instead of pepper spray and found out that it can temporarily blind a person if it gets into the eyes. The antidote can be acquired in the ER. This was from a police officer. I like this stuff even better now. I would much rather have the hand up than the other guy (or dog) so would not feel bad should the spray get in their eyes. Of course this is in addition to being aware of your surroundings and following your instincts. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby Bethers » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:38 pm

The down side of wasp spray is that it is illegal to use it in this purpose - I suggest reading the following: http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp

I used to have some pepper spray and will probably get some again.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Imthebeachgirl » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Thanks for the info.ladies.
Mitch, I like our "style". ;)
Imthebeachgirl

Postby OutandAbout » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:22 pm

I'll continue to keep the wasp spray. Much rather defend myself and be able to explain afterwards. Linda
OutandAbout

Return to General Talk