Hiking Alone

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Hiking Alone

Postby jemek » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Honestly...not sure I will ever hike alone. Unless it is a popular main trail that gets hiked a lot.

When I was a teen, I worked with search and rescue. I just learned that the risk was not worth it. There is comes more from the if i somehow injured and could not hike out.
Now granted this was prior to cell phones and such.

If i was to hike alone..like others have said, I would make sure I had overnight, emergency blanket etc. Then I would also let someone know where I was hiking,estimated time of rtn. That if I had not checked back in with them by night fall to call emergency services.
Kris aka Kristy
Wife to Norm
Mom to 3 boys and 2 girls
Many critters
2003 Dodge Ram 2500
2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail
DH has 2004 Dodge Durango
Not that I am great at keeping this updated...but I try..
http://smithseven.blogspot.com/
jemek

Postby Liz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:12 am

AlmostThere wrote:
The next time, I was hiking the ridgeline and felt uneasy. I soon discovered a guy coming up behind me wearing only a pair of jeans and talking to himself. It was cold enough that I was in my heavier jacket. I quickly continued walking hoping to run into another hiker, which I finally did. A younger, well built man with 3 dogs. I quickly explained to him what was coming behind me and he stayed with me until the guy passed and then offered to go with me all the way back to my car. I was so grateful. After that I always take my cell ph and only hike on a trail if there are others going that I can follow or know they are not far behind me.

Makes me remember the serial killer, Ted Bundy. He would have been the younger, well-built man who offered to take you to your car. :o
I've only met friendly fellow hikers, but mostly, like Beth said, I've been the only one on the trail. Only time I've been nervous is when I spooked a black bear who was browsing the berries up ahead. I didn't want to go back the long way I'd come, so I waited awhile to make sure the bear had left the area and Roe and I proceeded cautiously and loudly the rest of the way.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby JanetA » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:58 am

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh! my suggestion, ,a mean looking dog! :D
ImageImageImage
JanetA

Postby mtngal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:31 am

Go hiking Nellie!!!!
Diana
mtngal

Postby midlifecruiser » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Ok, I'm going to do it. Sounds like I've been worrying about it being like the streets of NY :roll:
I think all your advice is sound. I will do what Mtn Girl says,
"Go hiking, Nellie"

You all are great!
Nellie
http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com/
midlifecruiser

Postby Colliemom » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:11 pm

I agree with everybody too. I hike alone all the time, but most of the places I hike are not out in no man's land. Mostly through the woods near my home and on established trails elsewhere, usually close to campgrounds etc. although like Beth, I hike where there aren't very many peope. One other suggestion might be to carry a can of Pepper Spray. Might come in handy if ;you meet up with an anlimal you don't want to meet, human or otherwise. I hiked alone down a road in Denali National Park, 95 mies back in the park interior when I stayed up at a lodge up there. There was nothing around me but pure wilderness and probably some grizzly bear for all I know. But it was the park road, and I did run into a bunch of people who were staying at another lodge back there and on a guided excursion. Otherwise I was by myself enjoying the solitude and the thought that there was nothing beyond me but the lodge I was staying at for 600 miles to the Bering Sea and probably a few isolated native villages somewhere out there. I have my two dogs with me when I hike around Michigan here.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Previous

Return to General Talk