Hiking Alone

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Hiking Alone

Postby midlifecruiser » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Yep. I'm full of questions. But I'm smart because I know where to go to get answers ;)

OK, so here goes...
My DH has problems with his feet hurting, and although he used to go hiking with me a lot when we first stared going on camping trips, now he just can't. I, on the other hand feel great, and would love to hike the trails. My sidekick Bosco is only 7 pounds and no protection at all if I needed help.

How do you all feel about a lone woman hiking the trails?

Thanks! Nellie http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com/
midlifecruiser

Re: Hiking Alone

Postby snowball » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:31 pm

I'd say it depends upon where and when you plan on hiking alone...you will have lots come on and say that they do....I think if you are prudent take supplies leave word of where you are going and stick to that plan you should be ok...lived in UT for years and I don't know how many people went hiking a lone and got lost and never found....but they didn't say where or when or take proper stuff with them either...but it's always nicer to go in groups so maybe you can join up with a group of people to hike ..........as has been said on another thread RVer's are a friendly group
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:38 pm

I travel alone, so I have to hike alone most of the time. It's no different for me than anything else. Be aware of your surroundings, and don't do something if you don't feel comfortable about it. Some say to carry a cell phone. I don't - often it won't work where I hike anyway - and I don't like carrying anything that's not a necessity. I've never had a problem hiking. And to be honest, if someone wanted to do something, I don't think being alone or with someone would stop them.

When you can, it is good to leave word with someone (your husband) about where you'll be hiking and when you expect to return. If you should hurt yourself, it would be nice for them to send someone out looking. For some of us, that's not possible - especially when not staying at a cg. But that's the one thing I do when I can.

Oh, if I'm in an area where they don't recommend hiking alone, I'll hang around and see if I can find someone else or others to join. Never have had trouble doing that. And that's only been in areas where animals might be a problem. That said, I was worried about hiking alone with the animals in AK and never had trouble. I did talk a lot to my dog to make sure if any where out there I wasn't scaring them. That's one of the reasons it's good to be in a group - noise. So I made my own noise :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Forestgal » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:58 pm

I suppose it all depends on what kind of hiking you plan to do. If you're going out in the middle of nowhere, you might do well to pick up a GPS so you can mark where you've left your car, or your campground -- a home base. That way if you find yourself lost you can just hit the waypoint you've created for home & head back. Carry extra batteries -- most hand-held GPS units use 2 AAs. Another good habit to get into if you're where there is the possibility of running into large animals is to travel with some sort of bell attached to your daypack or fanny pack. The more you can warn the critters that you're on the trail the better everyone will feel. And a well-charged cell phone can also come in handy -- provided you've got a signal.

Common sense and a bit of up-front preparation will go a long way to making a solo hike enjoyable. :)

Laura -- and Jed
Forestgal

Postby Liz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:29 am

I hike alone (with my dog) all the time....but usually only on established trails. Never had a problem, but as others said, you must be prepared, aware of surroundings, and listen to your instincts.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby mtngal » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:17 am

I hike alone too, it's part of the package when traveling alone for me. All good suggestions from others. The only thing I would add...IF taking a long hike, I carry emergency over nite stuff...space blanket, matches, candle. Not much, just enough in the unfortunate event I have to spend the night out. Oh, one other thing, I love, love, love my walking stick! and never leave home with out a map. OK, I'm done!
Diana
mtngal

Postby midlifecruiser » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:18 am

So you've never had any problems with coming across strangers (men) on the trail that give you "bad vibes"??

Nellie
http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com/
midlifecruiser

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:47 pm

Short answer, No. But then I am 5'9" and weigh around 180 and am usually walking with 1-2 dogs so I probably don't look so attractive a target to anyone :? But the dogs find me appealing and nice..... so I am happy! :D
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:49 pm

Short answer, No. But then I am 5'9" and weigh around 180 and am usually walking with 1-2 dogs so I probably don't look so attractive a target to anyone :? But the dogs find me appealing and nice..... so I am happy! :D
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:27 pm

No to that question here also. Everyone I've ever met out hiking has been friendly.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:12 pm

I don't like hiking alone. I had two encounters right here in the state park not 2 miles from my house. My first incounter was with a stray dog. He growled as I came closer so I turned around. I then met 2 other women walking and explained to them about the dog. They said that they had seen him before and he had never hurt them, so I followed them past the animal. Afterward the one gal confessed that this wasn't the same dog that they had seen before.
The next time, I was hiking the ridgeline and felt uneasy. I soon discovered a guy coming up behind me wearing only a pair of jeans and talking to himself. It was cold enough that I was in my heavier jacket. I quickly continued walking hoping to run into another hiker, which I finally did. A younger, well built man with 3 dogs. I quickly explained to him what was coming behind me and he stayed with me until the guy passed and then offered to go with me all the way back to my car. I was so grateful. After that I always take my cell ph and only hike on a trail if there are others going that I can follow or know they are not far behind me.
AlmostThere

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:05 pm

Lots of good suggestions so far; cell phone, GPS, Overnight emergency stuff. Also, if you are not going too far without the hubby, maybe a walkie talkie, and for protection from animals, etc, some pepper spray or stun gun. Your common sense and gut instincts are your best defense tho. Listen to them and you should be OK.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:34 pm

Unlike AlmostThere - my favorite hiking places are when I can hike the entire time and never see another person. So, I'm more likely to run into another solo or couple people while on the trails. What's important after reading her post - is do what feels comfortable for YOU. Most of us have never had a problem - but the point is to not go too far out of your own comfort zone. I say not too far, cuz there are lots of things I never would have tried if I never left my comfort zone :)
Beth
Bethers

Postby cpatinjones » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:40 pm

I agree with all the other comments.

I have hiked alone and with others. I enjoy both, but feel safer with others.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby Ladyhawk » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:46 pm

I almost always hike alone, but I have my dog and I have other protection (and I know how to use it). Yes, trust your insticts, but a few miles in and no one else around, what do you do then? I would take self-defense classes and then...relax. The great outdoors is to be enjoyed. Happy and safe trails to you.
Amy and Bobby
Ladyhawk

Next

Return to General Talk