Computer Crash!

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Computer Crash!

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:03 am

Dang that must have been quite a virus cuz my main computer has crashed !! The virus notes said it was online games and the first womens forum...YIKES!!
So I cannot even retrieve my E-mail now...Dang! I willl not be on the other forum at all from now on to play it safe.

We have moved closer to my Mom's and had to move to a different site from 2 days ago so we could get internet. I'm spoiled with the sat dish I want to sit in my comfy home and watch the Olympics while I'm on the puter.

DH is taking the main puter in tomorrow to find the nasty gremlin in it!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Re: Computer Crash!

Postby snowball » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:46 am

Jenny
sorry you are having so much trouble
Been on the womens forum seems to be ok problems have been fixed
Take care
sheila
snowball

Postby Gentleladybear » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:17 am

Jenny think you are right about that virus. This computer has some strange stuff on my C drive that caused all the names there to be scrambled. Got to take it in and have it checked out. So think the truth about a virus was not being told. I can still get on, and do a lot but I don't do web sites so that forum is where it had to have come from.

Just more of an aggravation here, but that is what viruses are meant to do, create a lot of aggravation.

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:04 am

Sorry to hear that Jenny! I finally got my computer cleaned up after major issues (from that site) last week. Some real funky stuff going on there.
Cedar518

Postby Redetotry » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:36 am

Too bad about the virus. I was following Trudy's adventure. Seems a shame to miss out after all the anticipation of getting her on her way west! Does anyone have a link to her blog? I have my PM on if you want to send it that way.
Also, has anyone heard from Sparkle? I know she said she wouldn't be on very often but seems like it has been quite awhile.
I hope everyone who got hit with the virus gets their computers back up and running ok.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Getupngo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:29 pm

I've decided not to go to those on-line games that we direct one another to. I'll stick with "safe" sites.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby SeeyaGal » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:14 am

Whatever attacked the other computer did not do it in the Toshiba so at least we only had to take one computer in. So we are on stand by and hope that the guy gets all the nasty grmlins out.

Had to get a CD holder for all the DVD's I have been copying of my photo's. Last time the computer crashed I lost 25,000 photo's. Luckily I did have them in the Toshiba and now I make back ups and also put them in the external hard drive so I have two areas for the photo's.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:46 am

Jenny,... I lost pics once too,... so now I weed them out and burn the best ones to a cd about every six months. Of course the way technology changes the cds will become obsolete,...HaHa,.... :lol:
Cedar518

Postby Bethers » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:10 pm

I'll post here - that if I post a game site - I've been to it without problem. Many of the ones I use are through AARP. But don't just be aware of game sites - it can be ANY site that gets a bug, etc - usually a bug will reach your computer from an email you open - that's the usual way for your computer to have a problem.

So, yep, always be cautious - even with what you think is an email from a friend - as that's where the most common virus will come to your computer - because when the "worm" hits a computer, the first thing it usually does is go through the computer's email folder and sends out a bogus email with the worm or virus in it. In most cases, you have to open an attachment to get infected this way, so even if you receive an email from a friend, if anything about it looks at all suspicious, don't open the attachment - have your computer scan the email and attachment, or contact your friend to doublecheck they really sent it.

Good luck, Jenny- hope this is minor for you - and so glad you have backups!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Trudys blog is Travelingwithfloandrida.blogspot.com
Its actually listed under her profile over there.
She's coming this way soon and we're gonna meet up.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby carold » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:14 pm

Sorry about the crash, Jennie. I've been over to the other site and haven't had any problems. Hope that continues. carold
carold

Postby SeeyaGal » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:55 pm

Thanks Beth, I'm staying off the other forum just in case the gremlin is still in there but I think the Toshiba caught it and squashed it because I have had no more warnings ....the HP is in the computer Hosp having X-Rays and treatment :lol:
I'm still cautious about the games and not sure if the GS downloaded it or me. :shock: :roll:
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Postby Sunseeker » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:15 pm

That reminds me of something, Jenny. In my early-computer years, I didn't go online often and had a dial up ancient time-laden system. My teenage son was on the computer for hours...doing homework and such. Well, I found out what 'such' was...and the next time I logged on, I was exposed to the most awful display of visual incredulity!!! Before I screamed and called out for my husband to come help me, (The site wouldn't let me close it with the "X") I remembered thinking...can one REALLY contort one's body into THAT kind of position??? :oops: :shock: :shock:

I password protected the net from then on! DS did his research homework from the library. :)
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby SeeyaGal » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:41 pm

I think I'll buy some games or do something different if the GS ever gets to come back over but no more on-line games played. I regret ever giving him my Playstation because I loved playing on it ( Yeah...I'm a kid in a adult body! :lol: ) and he did not take good care of it at home ( too young at the time) and now they are ruined. Supervision is the only way to protect the stuff, I was not watching him close enough when he was on the puter. Lessons learned...groan. :oops:
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Postby SeeyaGal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:48 pm

Got our computer back yesterday after being in the shop and it's really messed up still and back in it went. Groan... :cry:
Dang those Gremlins were nasty!!
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Next

Return to General Talk