Retirement

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Retirement

Postby Lotus » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:52 pm

It seems as though it's been a couple of months ago since Sunshinecruiser (Carolyn) mentioned potential buyouts for Tennessee State Gov't. Carolyn did not get an offer; however, will still be working towards retirement in spring of 2009. Well.....I got the buyout, and my last day of work is Friday!! Then I become a new retiree!! Yee Haw! Woo Hoo! Oh Boy! I'm excited; I'm apprehensive; I'm a little bit sad, and then I'm excited again! It's amazing how time flies by. Saturday night I attended my 40th high school reunion, and had a blast. Then a week later I'm going to be retired. A new chapter in my life...and it will be an exciting chapter!

Becky
Lotus

Re: Retirement

Postby avalen » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:25 pm

WOW, I'm excited for you too, my countdown is 6 years still.
avalen

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:29 pm

Congrats!!! and Welcome to the world of retirees.....we sure do have fun...

Lori
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Getupngo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 pm

OMG! BIG changes ... and in a short period of time. Just don't get the bends as you decompress! :lol: I "retired" at age 53 after my DH died ... there was no great celebration. You have my permission to do the Snoopy Dance!

Congratulations! I hope you have LOTS of plans for the future ... including some quality "road" time.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby asirimarco » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:53 am

Retirement is strange. You'll wonder how you can possibly fill your days - then you'll wonder how you ever got anything done when you were working. My mistake after retiring, 6 years ago, was getting in to hobbies I never had time for when raising kids and then when working. Now I'm going to have to stand on a corner with a sign sayins "NEED MONEY FOR HOBBIES" But you can only send your family and friends so many homemade things. Brings to mind when years ago I took cake decorating classes one cake a week for many, many weeks- my kids haven't eaten cake since then.
One thing I find and others mention it to - we don't miss the job - but we miss the people we worked with.
One of my firends and her husband retired at the same time and had a big party - all the muckiy mucks from both companies and us peons too. They had music and she got up and made an announcement - This first song is you xyz company and you LAUSD - they got out to dance and the band started playing "Take this Job and Shove it" loved it!!! Going out with style
asirimarco

Postby Gentleladybear » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:16 am

Money is a big thing in retirement. It runs out way to quick. Then you have to work to replenish the kitty so you can get back out and enjoy retirement again. I retired, now back to work filling that kitty again. But filling the days is usually not a problem when you have an RV.

Have fun, see all you want to see and do all you want to do.

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:51 am

I agree with Nan that money is the big thing when "retired".... there is seldom enough to take care of the necessary things and still have fun. I retired and now am working again for that very reason.

But,.. oddly enough I'm having a lot of fun working! I've still left behind my demanding career in finance and H.R. administration and am enjoying monitoring study halls and the computer lab in our local high school Love those kids! They keep me smiling every day. Money is still tight, but there is enough to go camping,... and I don't feel a need to travel across the country in a big rig,... so I guess i'm still a "winner!" :D
Cedar518

Postby Fernie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:18 am

Congratulations Becky!! I am glad for you but will still think of you when I walk into an of the state gift shops. We should be back in Tn. by the end of next week and I will be seeing my chiropractor in Smyrna several times I am sure so maybe we can do lunch one day and get the whole gang together some weekend!!! You will wonder how you ever had time to work!! LOL
Handle every stressful situation like a dog..
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away...
Fernie

Postby mtngal » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:28 am

Congratulations Becky! Enjoy your retirement, you earned it! I retired just a bit over a year ago, and although I loved my work,
turns out I never looked back. Being retired has allowed me to be near my DD and DGD, for me it's all about family (and having fun). The first few months it was strange to be without the strict schedule, I felt "cut loose", NOW it's just marvelous. I do and go where and where the spirit moves me. Today? I'm planning a "walk-about" at a neighboring town. All good. :D
Diana
mtngal

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:33 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of retirement. Do what you want, when you want. Its amazing how many things there are to do that fill your days, including nice long naps when you feel like it. Yeah, money can get a little tight - that's why I workamp so I have more money to travel. Plus its fun to meet new people and see new places. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Think about coming to the Texas GTG.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Liz » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:16 am

My retirement came swift and unplanned when I was diagnosed with advanced (Stage 3 of 4) endometrial cancer in Feb. 2006. After the cancer treatments were over and cancer conquered (by God's grace), the dr. asked me if I was back at work. My answer?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's been two years since my last treatment. When asked if I miss teaching...my answer is....

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, if you can, don't wait until you're too old or too sick.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:19 am

Well, Bec, this is it, YOUR LAST DAY!!!! Yippee, hooray, I'm just so happy for you. Can't wait to see what you tackle first. We will have to take Fernie up on her offer to boondock at her place! It's good we don't work in the same department 'cause I'd be sobbing big time right now. :cry: But I'm not I'm :lol: all over. Good luck, girl.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby Barbzeee » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:53 am

Becky! dear Becky, Congratulations on your last day...but it's not your last day... it's your first day of a "New Life"..yes indeed... You get to do what you want, when you want it...Sure it takes time to get use to it...but you will, like the rest of us.... You have your health which is a major plus... as for those of us that had to retire because of sickness ..it surely wasn't easy.... Like Liz, I have been battling heart disease daily it never goes away and sneaks up on you when you least expect it...but I'm lucky I can smell them roses before they are planted over me !!

So dear friend...YOU will have the Best of the Best..whether you park in Fernie's yard or go State by State and Work Kamp like the other Gals..you will get to enjoy it... Yeah you have to watch your spending..but hey, even when you worked you had to do that ....Life is always coming up with another winner for us...

If you decide you don't like retirement..hey you can get a part time job..in what ever state you wanna be in...and you can slowly get to one of the GTGs..Meet us wild and crazy ladies...LOL even sit by our Campfire...

Becky, I'm in awe of your "New Beginning"....So ya wanna party... ooooooh we can do that.. right gals !!! Where ya wanna party.. we can start a Party on line too....right next to our Campfire....LOL...

Beck have a wonderful day and smile... You have us all with you !!...

God Bless.....I'm back from shopping and I need to feed my face..with coffee !!! ugh...

Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby Getupngo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:35 pm

YES! Let us know how this last day goes! You are embarking on a great new adventure. Good luck!
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Bethers » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Congratulations, Becky!

One suggestion - take your time sliding into this new role. Don't think you have to treat every day like a vacation day - and be running all the time - or you'll have no energy left lol. Also, don't do the opposite and become a couch potato and end up depressed. Don't get me wrong, but that's 2 very frequent extremes that retirees find themselves in. With the first, you spend, spend, spend, cuz you're always in vacation mode - with the 2nd, you'll have plenty of money, but feel sorry for yourself that you have all this time, but your friends aren't available, etc etc.

Now, that was just the extremes :) (And when I started out full-time in the RV, I did the first :shock: - was running and going - put almost 15,000 miles on my rv in the first 4-5 months, but then I realized, I don't HAVE to rush through everywhere I go LOL - and now, life is a beach :) literally right now.

Of course, I still work (on my own business) and workamping - but that's cuz I don't have a retirement income other than what I've saved, and can't hit that yet. But believe me - this is retirement for me. And I love it and hope you will, too.

ENJOY
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to General Talk