I'm in Valentine

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

I'm in Valentine

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Okay, left Douglas this morning at 8:15. So anxious to leave almost drove off with my electric still plugged in. Great drive, no wind. Was only going to drive a couple of hundred miles. Well I got to Chadron at 11:30. Way too early to stop so onwards. The road kept going on and on and on and on. Finally found a place to pull over for a sandwich in some little town (never did see the name). Hit the road again. And drove and drove. Same complaint I had on the way up - apparently Nebraska sees no need for ANY pullovers. This time I was careful not to drink a lot of liquid while driving. After six and a half hours made Valentine, the Wacky West RV Park. If you remember it from my trip to Douglas, its the one with the cattle auction behind it. Winter was okay. Summer is a tad smelly and there seem to be a few flies around, Duh! I'm back on Central Time so my clock has caught up with my TV. Going to watch NCIS if I can stay awake long enough. Got caught in a "vehicle" check in some town just inside Nebraska. The officer asked for my registration and driver's license. Gave him my license and looked, and looked for my registrtion - all I could find was my insurance card. Finally he asked me if the sticker on my window was my registration. Yeppers. No one has EVER asked me for it before. He asked me to honk the horn and turn on my windshield wipers which I did along with the sprayer so he got a little wet. Sassy had her head out the window during the entire encounter trying to lick him - he kept stepping back. Don't understand why. He finally waved us on with a look of relief on his face. I'm sure he's thinking, "My God and she's driving a 30' RV and towing".

Tomorrow is going to be a SHORT day!!!!!
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: I'm in Valentine

Postby JanJer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:01 pm

Great Karen...glad you are on your way. Have a safe and fun trip! Thanks for letting us know where you are.

Jan
ImageImage
Roughin' It Smoothly
Jan, Jerry, Roada the Chi and Sass the Cockatiel
JanJer

Postby carold » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:13 pm

Karen, glad to hear all is going well-you seemed in a hurry to leave WY :lol: ENJOY your trip home and don't get stopped for something more serious-like going to slow on the interstate. LOL carold
carold

Postby Getupngo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:32 pm

Oh, Karen, my accelerator foot got itchy reading your post. I'm getting close to my departure time and just dying to get on the road again. Ahhhh ... sitting in the captain's chair cruising down the road. Feeling the rumble of the road. YEAH!

I know about driving father than I planned because the day is young. I often do a short day the next day to compensate. I LOVE that I can just stop and take a nap when my eyes get droopy. Aren't we the luckiest women in the world?

In the West, we say heaven is Wyoming in your rear view mirror. But according to you, that's followed by bladder-busting Nebraska! :shock:

Have a great trip!
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:35 pm

Sassy was only helping Mom.... :lol: .....take care and have a safe trip to TX....

Lori
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby mtngal » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Hey Karen you must have had a tail wind out of WY! Hope the rest of your trip home is even better. See you in Nov!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:08 pm

Boy I hope I don't get stopped somewhere. In Louisiana, to renew your license they send you a little sticker that you put on your license plate and the paper it comes on is the registration. My license expired in June and I ordered the sticker and it came in but now I don't know where it is. I figure I have until December to find it unless I get stopped. My inspection sticker expires in December and I need the registration paper to get my vehicle inspected. I bet if I paid for another one the original would show up.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Gentleladybear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:24 am

Karen sounds like a bumpy start but it should smooth out. My son had pushed the idea that I always do a "walk around" before I get behind the wheel. Look and make sure all is unplugged, moved, closed, locked and etc. Saved me several times to keep from leaving something undone when I am ready to hit the road.

Happy driving!!!!

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:36 am

Nan the really sad thing is that I DID do my walk around - just stepped over the cord. Duh!!
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:06 am

Just stopped in to say hi - I'm in Fredericksburg - and the weather is beautiful, Karen. If this holds, you'll have warm temps but nice cool evenings when you get home. Of course, it's August, and temps could go anywhere before you get home :)

Have a safe journey- and yep, I've driven NE several times in my life, car and rv, and always the same - never-ending roads LOL with pretty much the same view.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby pattyk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:46 am

Hi Karen, Glad to see you are on your way home.
Patty & Sammie, too
pattyk

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:24 pm

Traveling mercies to you, Karen.
AlmostThere

Postby Gentleladybear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:35 pm

I am sitting here laughing. That is the kind of thing I would do is step over it and pull it out.

Well the thought of the walk around is good.

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby MsBHaven » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi Karen, glad you finally got out of Douglas. I know you were so ready to get out of there and on to your next adventure. We spent the night in Valentinue a few years ago, in the back parking lot of a convenience store/truck area. Just wondering...why do you stay in campgrounds when you are self-contained? Maybe I'm just a cheap-skate, but I don't have to worry about finding a "spot" that is level, backing in, etc. etc.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby snowball » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:54 am

I thought that I'd answer the question about campgrounds. And this is my view point which doesn't always agree with hubby. We decided that we weren't going to travel long distances in a day 200-250 depending (and yes we have gone further but very rarely) When we do that we are ready to stop mid afternoon. we have a fifth wheel and so if we go anywhere we have to either tow it with us or dropped the 5er can't do that in wally world. I want the slides put out and want to enjoy the stop. sure when we are doing a marathon and stopping in time to go to bed and then get up with the birds and move on we boon dock but other wise its the campgrounds for me.
Karen where are you going to land for the winter?
sheila
snowball

Next

Return to General Talk