YIKES!!! I FLOODED MYSELF

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

YIKES!!! I FLOODED MYSELF

Postby avalen » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:53 am

I took the accordion blinds off the kitchen window and thought Iwould wash them and see
if they were salvagable. I put some laundry soap in the tub and turned on the water.
Came back to the computer to read a little more and guess what.........yep, I forgot
about the water running in the tub. Of course its overflowing, water even in the hallway,
area rugs all soaked and the water ran down into the heater floorvent. The floorvent
was full!! grabbed some towels of course and started cleaning up, in the bottom of the
vent is another vent that is about two inches wide and goes down into the understorage.
I grabbed the package of feminine pads and folded one lengthwise and shoved it down
the hole, sopped up a bunch of water and kept doing this until I could get no more
water out. Went out and opened my understorage bay door and looked for damage,
the water dripped out and the carpet is wet but none of my stuff is wet. So, for now
the bay door stays open, the bathroom door stays shut and the bathroom fan is running
to help pull out the humidity in there. I've also shoved a towel under the door to help
seal it off cause the a/c is gonna kick on soon.
What a mess!! multi-tasking isn't always the best way to do things :shock: :o :x
The blind did come clean btw, although it is still a tad yellowed. Will hang it out in the
sun to dry and see if the sun does any natural bleaching. All the ones in the livingroom
bedroom,
and diningroom are still white, only the two in the kitchen are yellowed.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Re: YIKES!!! I FLOODED MYSELF

Postby Sunseeker » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:17 am

Sorry about your mess, Ava. At least it was clean water! How ingenious to use a feminine pad. Bet not many plumbers carry them in their tool boxes :lol:
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Fernie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:29 am

WOW--- a lot of us have been there for one reason or another. Last time I had a "flood", a "T" under the fridge going to the hot water heater broke and I had gone visiting for a few min. I had water pouring out of the rv !! The time before that, I left water running in the sink in the bathroom!! Hope you are near someone with a wet vac or something to help take it up!! Good luck
Handle every stressful situation like a dog..
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away...
Fernie

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:45 am

Oh Ava,... that's a tough thing to have happen. Guess we have to have a banner across the top of this forum.... "Caution: Habit Forming!" or "Beware: Distracting!"

I've had several floods in my campers,... most recent was trip before last when a connection at the hot water heater loosened and,... water all over that end of my little camper. I guess it's a matter of it happening to all of us,..just a matter of when!

I love your ingenuity using the pad!
Cedar518

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:19 pm

Oh, Ava. Sorry about the water mishap. Hope it dries quickly.
Yep, those pads are a good thing to have in a first aid kit, too. The fire dept./EMTs use to carry them (maybe still do), as they are "sanitary" and good to use as pressure pads to help stop bleeding etc.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:08 pm

I woke up one morning and heard the water running in my kitchen sink. I was sooooooooooo grateful that I had the grey tank wide open - can't imagine the damage that would have been done.

Thank goodness you seemed to find this one quickly - and got it taken care of without more damage. Seems instead you got a good cleaning :) Sorry it happened - but it's a good reminder to all of us - don't walk away from running water - ever!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Getupngo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:16 pm

Last time I flooded myself was a black tank overflow into my rig.

Just sayin'. :shock:

Sorry about your mishap. I HATE it when that stuff happens.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby avalen » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:22 pm

the understorage bay dried up fine and I closed the door, the lino seems a little buckled
around the floor vent but its dry now and I put the vent cover back on. Brought the
blind back in and got it hung back up, it looks good, its white like it should be. Now
I need to do the other kitchen one, but I'm gonna have to lay across the sink to reach
it. Think I'll save that for another day, I've done enough damage for one day. :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby carold » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:53 pm

All's well that ends well. :lol: Who said that???? :lol: Throw that statement out the window-or maybe down the vent. :lol: Glad the blind turned out white-I could use a sign that says "Multitasking could be dangerous". Haven't we all a story to tell. carold
carold

Postby Getupngo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:07 am

Speaking of fortunate coincidences ... last year I had been home from a 2-month trip for about 2-3 days when the overflow valve on my water heater started spewing water into my basement. I tried to turn the feed to the heater off ... frozen! So I ran to a neighbor's house, borrowed a "big strong man" and he was able to shut it off. Probably about 50 gallons of water on my basement carpet before all was said and done.

Can you imagine if that had blown while I was gone??? It wouldn't have been noticed until water was pouring out of my doors and windows upstairs!

The plumber came and fixed it, replaced the old-fashioned twist-turn handle with a vertical one -- up is on and at a 90-degree angle is off. Then he showed me where I can shut off water for the whole house from the basement. Whenever I leave on a trip, the water is always shut off.
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby SeeyaGal » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:58 am

DH flooded the Tropi-Cal and luckily I had my little green machine and that got up all the dirty water out of the rugs and washed the rugs. He tried to do it again with the black tank in the Seeya and I about shot him!! I really have to watch him when he is filling up and then flushing out the tanks!! :evil:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Getupngo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:16 pm

SeeyaGal wrote:DH flooded the Tropi-Cal and luckily I had my little green machine and that got up all the dirty water out of the rugs and washed the rugs. He tried to do it again with the black tank in the Seeya and I about shot him!! I really have to watch him when he is filling up and then flushing out the tanks!! :evil:

Good thing he's not married to me. Hee! Hee! We'd be deadly together! :shock:
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby asirimarco » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:43 am

more of a home thing than an RV thing - remember to turn off the water to your washing machine when not using it. amazing how much and how fast the water can come out.
asirimarco

Return to General Talk