Gourds galore

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Gourds galore

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:54 pm

Dotty, Jenny's Mom holding one of the gourds for the Thurston county fair
Mom beaded and counted cross stitched this gourd

closeup of the Wolf gourd

Gourds that were turned into candles, other gourds

Beaded gourds, this technique was done by Mexican Indians
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Re: Gourds galore

Postby avalen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:52 pm

they are beautiful, wish I knew how to do that, would love to make some big
planters to hold flower pots,
they probably wouldn't stand up under watering, would they?
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Wow! Who knew you could do that with gourd shells? Is it as time consuming as it looks? Good luck at the fair, Dotty!
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:04 pm

Every time you post pics of any of her gourds, my mouth just drops wide open. They are so beautiful, and I never would have guessed the things she does with them could be done. I mean cross-stitching on a gourd? Wow. She's one talented lady - and just as pretty as her daughter.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Barbzeee » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:29 pm

Jenny, Your Mom is a very talent lady... that amazes me all that bead work..and stitching on a gourd..now that is also something I never knew you could do ! True.. I see you look a lot like your Mom too...

I can't wait to hear how she does at the fair....I bet she comes in first place !

God Bless

Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby Paulette » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:32 pm

WOW How much would she get for one of the beaded "bowl" looking gourds?

they are beautiful...wish her luck at the fair!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:24 pm

I don't know how much those gourds would cost if she sold them but I suppose they can be pricey. I think Mom crossstitched the wolf and then glued it to the gourd....I hope she does not sell that one...she knows I want it! :lol:
Mom does not sit still she's always crafting and when I tell her I want to do something she shouts " Do It, Make it!".

I'll be bringing the last of my craft stuff down to the casita and the last of the Hoiday decor. Will be interesting what I create down in Yuma :? ;)
I think I'll have to switch to Southwest style though......I'm so ready to start heading home and be creative!

Yep, Mom and I look alot alike, we really do have fun together when we get together. Funny how we can really get the giggles!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Echo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:32 pm

Those are awesome Jenny. I just love the dark one on the right with the butterfly. (drool)

Yeppers we can all see where you get your good looks and beautiful hair from!! Your Moms a winner.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:51 pm

Here's Mom's BIO in the Washington State Gourd Society
Dotty's Story: I guess I've always been a little on the inquisitive side as to how to do something or other. Started out in the early 60's when I took a "Paint Me" test for the Famous Artists mail-order, send in, painting school. Signed up for the course and then had to go back to work to pay for it which cut into my painting time and the time it took to raise two daughters, keep house and cook dinner for the family. A typical story of women my age which is way past 50. Anyway, finally in the early 70's I quit work, went to JC and studied painting, stained-glass, sculpture, jewelry design, and even did a small amount of welding which taught me nothing except how to ply my welding teacher with his favorite bottle of booze to get an "A" out of the class.

Two years of that, husband took a hike and it was back to work for me and the same drill as before, no time to do the "fun stuff" Did manage to do a few stained-glass commissions and then I had a wonderful opportunity to meet a few of Seattle's finest oil and water color painters, started taking painting classes for as many hours in the week that work would permit, and finally got my "poop in a pile" to the point of almost knowing what I wanted to do when I grew up.

Painted still-life, pastoral, and portraits for about 10 years, gave away my paints, then decided I wanted to learn how to carve wood. Managed to carve a several "gifts" that I gave away, came up against a "grain in the wood" that I couldn't carve so decided making quilts would be a lot more fun and a lot more easy on my arms and hands. Wrong, quilts are quite heavy and I had to drape them across one shoulder as I fed them thru the machine - gave that up, discovered needlework!! Learned to do needlepoint and cross-stitch (which I still do in the evenings) and found both types of stitching to be ever so relaxing, and I didn't have to think or design, just followed someone else's pattern. Driving across country? Well the miles just fly by when I have something to stitch in front of me. (No, I'm not the one doing the driving!!) In addition to the needlework, I learned how to make baskets and wow! a whole new field to explore.

Now, comes the day in early Spring, 2005 - March 12th to be exact, when we were in Palm Desert, Ca. and went to the Living Desert. Upon entering the gate, off to one side, was a young lady who had a wonderful display of decorated gourds. I bought one and at the end of the transaction she stated that she would be having a class on Saturday of the following week and would I like to attend. I did of course and that was the beginning and hopefully not the end. I don't think there's another thing out there that I have a hankering to do 'cuz all I've learned, so far, can be incorporated into gourds. Ain't it grand!!!? Also, I really do believe I have every "tool" known to man or woman but knowing how to use them is still a learning process.

I talked my Mom into leaving her hair natural but she is just itching to color it in some way, her hair is thinner than mine. Mom is awesome and never sits still!
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Postby Sunseeker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:58 pm

Such a cool bio, Jenny. No wonder you're so proud of her! I love her sense of humor and the fact that she bribed the teacher for a grade. I guess it's not shameful if it's done right ;) :D Good luck, Dotty at the fair. We'll all be pullin for you!
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Bethers » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:59 pm

What an inspiring lady! I can now, after reading that, see also where your sense of humor comes from. She's talented, smart, funny- you are both lucky to have each other :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Yeah Mom was always the "Cool" Mom growing up,but also a workaholic! At least Mom and I have the same tastes in things and just last Sunday she was cracking me up eating the whipped cream foam off her Chai Tea with her sipping straws " chop sticks"!! Never a dull moment with Mom! She's goofy like suddenly stop and pick up pennies off the ground and pouts if I beat her at Dominos. We loved the day we had the wild time getting drunk in Mexico and we both LOVE to travel....only she likes it better when someone is waiting on HER. She's a cool Mom though. I have to tell you though it took her a LONG time to accept I was not going to settle down in a stick house, and stop saying " When are you coming home?"
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Postby carold » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:33 pm

Great story, Jenny. You get the Mom you get, good and almost good. :D Great that you have a good relationship and it's true, you two do look related. Now we see you young you'll look down the road. She can't complain about your independence, cause she knows where you got it. carold
carold

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:34 pm

What a cool mom and it sure sounds like you're great friends. I love her guords - she's so talented.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby JanJer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:43 pm

Love those gourds Jenny! And we see where you get your good looks from!! Thanks for sharing your Mom with us.

Jan
ImageImage
Roughin' It Smoothly
Jan, Jerry, Roada the Chi and Sass the Cockatiel
JanJer

Next

Return to General Talk