Do you hike alone?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Do you hike alone?

Postby rvgal » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:44 am

I really enjoy hiking but I've been wondering if it is something I'll do when I'm on the road fulltime. I'll be travelling to places I've never been where I don't know anyone, so if I want to go out hiking/exploring I'll be doing it by myself. Hiking alone doesn't seem to be a very safe thing to do. So I'm wondering about you ladies who do travel alone, do you get out & hike by yourself? Or do you try to meet people wherever you're camped at & find someone to go with?
rvgal

Re: Do you hike alone?

Postby Nasoosie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:13 am

Good question, RVgal. I have seen that Liz and Sparkle and Beth all seem to go alone, with dogs in tow, and I always wonder if I would do the same when I get the chance. Even around here, where I have lived for over 30 years and hiked and climbed all mountains in sight, I don't know if I would enjoy doing any of them alone. I always had companions with me in years gone by.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Redetotry » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:28 am

My new iPhone always knows where I am and has GSP you can set to find your way back to a starting point . I love it, and for those who don't want there where abouts to be known just turn the feature off. Also guess unless you were in a very remote area you could always call if a problem. Keep those batteries charged.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Although I'm not a full-timer, I have hiked alone. Quite a few years ago I lived several summers in a log cabin on a pond with no power, water, phone, etc. I often took my canoe out, or hiked alone. And,.... that was before cell phones were these little handy things with GPS and locators built in. I guess the only thing I'd say is use your common sense. Be careful, and either leave area or don't even set out if you are uncomfortable about something. Then just stop worrying and enjoy! :D
Cedar518

Postby Bethers » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:36 pm

Yes, I hike alone. I have cut some short and not done some because I didn't feel safe there alone. But if there had been others on the trails, I would have gone anyway. I only cut one hike short in Alaska - I had gone 4 or 5 miles by then and it would have been 7 or 8 to the end - then back. I had not seen anyone since the first mile and the trail was full of things I am known to trip over. I just felt better not overdoing that. Generally, tho, I don't let being alone stop me. I do feel better having my dog with me - just is companionship - even if Peaches wouldn't be of any assistance if something happened to me.

Oh, when I hiked out onto the one glacier - I would have liked to have gone further onto the white part, however, and this had nothing to do with being alone, it was too slippery with the mist coming down and I didn't want to endanger myself. There were others out there and if I had done it over, I would have climbed up in a different location and possibly been on the other part of the glacier.

Do what you feel comfortable doing. Don't do what you don't feel safe doing. Oftentimes, there are groups you could even join at various places. Or go on guided hikes.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:06 pm

I used to and never thought a thing about it. However I would probably think
more about my safety now and not go so far or find someone to go with me. I
would definatley have my cell phone and hope for a good signal just in case.
If its hot, always take water, and a snack wouldn't hurt either, just in case
you get hungry :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby snowball » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:19 pm

but then you hear of (via the news) those that do hike alone and go missing or end up chopping off a hand to get them selve out of problems....so one has to be safety minded not just for them selves but for those that go looking for them..always leave a note as to where you went and then follow through don't wonder off on a trail that looks neat when in your note you clearly said you were going too........... I think that one can hike a lone if they are reponceable and think of the what if's and take care of them...like ava said water it may save your life....letting someone know...have batteries charged even if you can't call perhaps the gps will work...
but then those are just my thoughts on the subject
sheila
snowball

Postby rvgal » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:49 am

Thanks, everyone, for your responses!
rvgal

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:12 pm

Isn't it interesting how our thoughts change as we get older and more experienced. I still hike alone with my dogs....even around here on the Rail to trails paths there have been incidents.... Over all though, I feel more comfortable knowing that the path will have an occasional fellow hiker around to find my body....... One of the reasons I am interested in traveling with others is to have companionship while hiking and sight seeing.... That said, as much as I worry about what I would do if my talented coordination gives out and the ankle goes..... as it has a history of doing, I have also thought about what I would do hiking by myself if I had to rescue a 65 pound injured Golden Retreiver that couldn't walk and get him back to camp safely. Now how many miles do I want to head out today? So I try not to do anything too stupid but I try not to think TO hard about the what ifs and just pull on the hiking boots and take off walking.... I do like trail maps though........
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:38 pm

My concern of late about hiking brings to the forefront of my little brain that beautiful young woman who was murdered a couple of years ago while hiking in the mountains of Georgia with her dog.

I think I'll be hiking, in the future, (assuming I EVER get out camping again) with my big-a$$ can of bear spray in my hand, and/or my cute little 25 tucked away in my fanny pack...

mitch5252

Postby Sparkle » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

I do hike alone, but must admit I miss having my Pit with me...he's still alive, but can't hike anymore. Since I've been here I've always told someone where I was going, Snake Gulch for instance isn't named that on a whim. Beth and I went for a short walk, and Bogie sat down half way there and refused to budge. So when I have to replace Bogie (many years from now I hope) I will be looking for a dog that LOOKS tough, can hike, but doesn't need acres to run in, isn't too large. I was thinking a Boxer would fit the bill. Anyway, back to hiking alone, I have NEVER met anyone on the trails who was a threat, but it pays to be aware of your surroundings, and accidents are the most likely thing to happen, whether falling over logs, sliding on loose rock, spiders, scorpions, snakes. Oh heavens I've scared myself now!
Sparkle

Postby kelpie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:29 pm

I just want to point out that crime rates of all kinds are MUCH higher in populated areas although they do occur in isolated areas as well. But for me i would think it's not nearly as dangerous to go hiking etc alone as it is to be in many city or even suburban areas. As women we have all learned the basic self defense "rules" we should follow and they apply no matter where we are.
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:59 pm

I live on a nice little country side road that dead-ends at a river about a mile past my house. I use to think nothing of walking to the river and back but don't do it any more. Someone moved in past our house that has a lot of coming and going of unfamiliar vehicles and a company started parking barges at the end of the road and people are going back there to the barges. There is a lot of industry past our road where off shore rigs are supplied and the crews are changed. Last year 2 guys were arrested for murder that were working at a plant about a half mile from my house. It makes me mad that I have to be afraid to walk on my road.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:54 am

I have often wondered what my reaction would be if I were grabbed while alone anywhere, and, after a co-worker startled me at school last year (all in fun, of course, but he caused that 'fight or flight' reaction in me) I bashed him in the face and arms like lightning! Didn't even have a second to think about it----my first and immediate reaction to a threat is to lash out and lash out hard. Had he been a stranger, I would next have gone for his balls and his eyes! Needless to say, he won't do that to me any more!! I surprised even myself! Even if facing a gun or knife, I know that I would never just acquiesce and go with a stranger....I might die trying to kill him, but that's how it would be for me. Instant and violent attack is my instinctive reaction....good to know, after all that wondering. I have even planned out a defensive move, or two, while falling asleep at night.

I also like the idea of bear spray for humans----or pepper spray if walking or hiking alone. Mitch's little 'persuader 25' is also not a bad thought either!

So-----be careful not to startle me!
Last edited by Nasoosie on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby MsBHaven » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 pm

I have hiked alone, but always felt a little nervous while doing it. I usually picked a touristy trail so hopefully there would be other people. Probably wouldn't hike on a trail that didn't have a lot of hikers.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Next

Return to General Talk