Do you hike alone?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Do you hike alone?

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:01 pm

I would be more concerned about an accident happening and no one knowing where you were. You're probably safer hiking a trail than walking in a city. The best idea of course, is to always let someone know where you're going and approximately when you'll return. The problem here is that because we travel who do we tell? If you're staying at a campground leave a note with the office staff. The cell phone is your best friend, IF you have a signal. If nothing else maybe leave a note on the door of your rig. All of this assumes you have some idea of where you're going when you leave the rig. Most often I don't have a set place I'm going.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:54 am

I'm with you, Margie. Always safety in numbers, and I don't like pushing the odds.
AlmostThere

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:50 am

I was thinking about this hiking alone issue and had a thought that some of you might find interesting and warrant further research . There are two different 'kinds' of Personal Locator Beacons.

One is the Spot - it is very cool sounding, and requires an annual subscription (basic $99/year) after initial purchase. It is completely satellite based and here are some of its features:

• Alert 9-1-1: Dispatch emergency responders to your exact location
• Check in: Let contacts know where you are and that you are okay
• Help: Request help from friends and family at your exact location
• Track: Send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress using Google Maps

LINK: http://domsoutdoor.com/product.asp?pn=1-001491&sid=FROOGLE&EID=FR1-001491&bhcd2=1251725996

The other kind transmits on a certain radio frequency. Here's a link to one of them:

http://domsoutdoor.com/product.asp?pn=1-040720

So, from a broken-leg-in-the-woods perspective, one or the other of these gadgets might provde useful to you hikers!

ON EDIT: Here's a link to one man's opinion on both types: http://home.earthlink.net/~tnhiker/lifeafter50onemansperspective/id88.html

mitch5252

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:09 am

Mitch, we're going to give you the title of Official Information Officer.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:16 am

retiredhappy wrote:Mitch, we're going to give you the title of Official Information Officer.

And I would accept it!
Anything to keep the Sistahs safe and happy! :mrgreen:

mitch5252

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:16 pm

A friend of mine in British Columbia uses the Spot. She is plagued with epilepsy but still loves going for walks with her camera. After a seizure and a scare a few months ago her DH got her that to let everyone have peace of mind. So I guess that's a recommendation.
Cedar518

Postby Bethers » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Ya know, don't get mad at me - but what did we do in years past - when we didn't have cell phones or even walkies with us - and just went and DID - which is how I still usually travel. I don't have a problem with anyone having any of these things - and for some they probably are a must - but for me, let me just be - and if something happens, sobeit. Someday, somewhere - something IS going to happen to me - even if it's just dying of old age.

Now, yes, use caution - and if I go somewhere that I think I need to tell someone, I try to do so - but sometimes, it's the spur of the moment and I just HAVe to "just do it" - and I do - usually where my cell doesn't work - and I don't carry it to hike anyway - I try to remember to bring enough water for Peaches and me - and off I go.

I do agree with Karen - the biggest chance of danger is probably when you're in a big city - or, as the saying goes - when you're close to home - THAT's where things happen.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:15 pm

When I was younger my ankles seem much more stable.....I was more agile and seemed to have better balance........didn't have the heart palpatations on hills either! I didn't stop to think about life as being quite so fragile......you are right, I just headed out....... I still do...but I know not to climb up the really big hills all at once and I don't run down the paths anymore. And did I mention I like maps..... or some idea of where I am going.... it makes it easier to find my body....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby mtngal » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:09 am

I do hike alone, probably 80/20, but love to have company. If you are ever in N CA or Central Texas be sure to give me a holler!

Either alone or with friends, for short day hikes I carry a whistle, a pocket knife, pepper spray, my cell and a walking stick. IF it's a long hike, many miles, in the back country, I carry a small emergency kit in case I get stranded overnite. That has never happened!

Good topic, interesting replies. Thanks!
Diana
mtngal

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 am

All good rules, Diana!
AlmostThere

Previous

Return to General Talk