CLIMATE CHANGE

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

CLIMATE CHANGE

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:06 pm

Someone asked the question, "GLOBAL WARMING?" (sarcastically!) when referring to snow accumulations that have never been experienced in that part of the country before. This set me into a frenzy, as there are so many doubters among us, particulary if/when the temperatures seem to be colder than normal.

My daughter, who is now somewhat of a professional in research studies relating to the warming of our planet, prefers to use the term "CLIMATE CHANGE" to global warming The latter term allows those who are skeptical about our Earth's warming up to become even more skeptical when they get colder-than-usual weather. Climate change we are indeed undergoing, and nobody can argue that if they have their eyes open at all! She, who just got her PhD in environmental engineering and has a paper published consisting of thousands of pages of global research, is on a mission to always use the term, CLIMATE CHANGE.

Yes....this country alone has experienced some VERY weird climate changes this past year, and it's just the beginning. If we don't see what's happening soon, irrevocable changes will take place. And some believe that perhaps it is already too late. I like to have hope that we can still do something to change the trends in climate change that humanity has caused. I believe we are too smart to disbelieve (or refuse to acknowledge) the warming trends which are allowing such violent and uncommonly weird weather patterns. Witness the last passing of these violent tornadoes, WAY earlier than that kind of weather used to be happening in earlier years.

Off soapbox now! There is not much I can feel so emotionally involved with as climate change, thank heavens, eh?? :)
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Re: CLIMATE CHANGE

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:19 pm

Agreed that humans have contributed to climate change.

It is also a natural swing over eons. But, as studies have now shown,... the past few decades have caused the climate changes to become many times more severe than those over the history of the planet. I'm afraid that humans have been greedy and thoughtless and in some cases innocently unknowing in their causes of this situation.

Second soapbox has just been vacated.... :D
Cedar518

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:25 pm

I to hope it is not too late to correct a lot of man made mistakes and we are smart enough to do so.
Mother Nature can cause enough "change" all by herself so we humans do not need to add to it.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Echo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:01 am

The harm and damage that mankind has done to this planet is catastrophic. When you stop to think that it's the only planet we have? Why would people ignore the dangers.

Way to many people don't stop to think of what they are doing, what they're generating and what they're causing. Or they simply don't care. They don't believe it. They think HA, not in my lifetime. That they will be long gone and it's not their worry.

Short slide show about one of the problems is at the end of this url. Interesting to say the least.

http://www.southportlandrecycles.org/ha ... icBags.pdf

I have probably 12 reuseables.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby WickedLady » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:11 pm

The timber industry cuts every tree it possibly can. The oil industry has done everything possible to keep alternative energy from being developed. Greed is destroying the planet.
Add to that the fact that the human population is out of control and it is no wonder the climate is getting back at us.
Marda
WickedLady

Return to General Talk