Service your own Water Heater

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Service your own Water Heater

Postby Bethers » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:42 pm

OK, I'm going to thank Ernie here - who was telling all of us this past week that he's been giving advice on water heaters to everyone - and how right he is.

Well, because of him, I cleaned out my water heater today- and I'm replacing my anode (that the right name?) rod - of course, I had to do this backwards, just cuz that's me - and tonight I'm without hot water - as the store in town that said on the phone they had it, didn't - and I let someone throw away the old one - haha - good thing I knew where my shut off was - and I have cold water.

Anyway - someone else here had a tool they made to clean out the water heater - and omg, the gunk I got out of there - calcium, etc. Yuk. I'm surprised I had any hot water at all - which I did.

Tomorrow, a friend here is going into another town anyway and will pick up the anode rod for me. And he has convinced me- open this every 3 months and drain and rinse the tank - he would do it more often in the desert. Replace the rod as needed - once a year enough for most - me, by myself, maybe a little less often, others maybe a litte more. Really, really easy to do. And not expensive. And will extend the life of your water heater.

OK, Lori - is Ernie reading over your shoulder yet? If not - get him here - and kudos and thanks to you for the advice - and do you believe it - I FOLLOWED IT :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Service your own Water Heater

Postby Sparkle » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:54 pm

When I get back I'll have to get you to show me. I always carry about 6 gallons of water in jugs. I've been refilling them, with water I already filtered in my Britta. I was horrified the other day when I saw slimy black mold all over the inside of the cap and down the neck of the jug. I hate to think what (a) my water tank looks like, and (b) my water heater.
Sparkle

Postby avalen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:05 pm

I'm a believer too!!
Actually, I haven't done it yet but my friend Ginny told me about doing it too. Went to
Home Depot and priced the anode, cheap, think it was like $6 or maybe it was 9. She
said here in this hard water of Arizona we should do it at least every 6 months if we
live in it fulltime like me and her. So I still have to get it done but for sure will buy
the anode FIRST! cause I don't want to pull a Bethers :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby mtngal » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:52 pm

Beth, you go girl! first a new shower head and now cleaning the hot water heater! You have the plumbing chores down. Tomorrow I have a gal coming over to help me with a couple projects, her company is called "Handychicks"!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Redetotry » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:25 pm

That gunk is why they tell you not to use hot water from the tap to cook or make hot drinks! I've seen people do this... yuck!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Bethers » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:06 pm

And that's true in houses, also - not using hot water to cook, etc - always use the cold.

Sparkle, for sure will show you - and when's the last time you emptied your water tank and put bleach with water in and cleaned it? We'll make sure that happens to - but that is best to do when you'll be driving and can do without the water for that day - empty the water holding tank, add water to 2/3rds approximately - at a few times stop and add bleach. When doing this I put in an entire gallon of bleach. Then drive for the day - let it slosh, slosh, slosh. Empty again, fill with fresh water, drive (no bleach this time) - I do this twice to get out as much bleach as possible - then fill with water to use again.

I do this every several months - sometimes more often - but always do it if the water in the tank has been sitting stagnant.

As to those jugs - if you're going to refill them, make sure you clean them between uses.

Oh, and make sure you run bleach through the hose you connect to the rv occasionally - you would hate to see what that can look like otherwise - that black mold will grow in those hoses, too. I run bleach through that every time I do the tank.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sparkle » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:04 am

First I have to find out how to empty my tank. Other than using all the water that's in it. I hate to think what it looks like as its 14 years old.
Sparkle

Postby Liz » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:13 am

I'll have to learn how to do this too. Already had the anode rod on the list for them to check when I have it in for the refrigerator.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:06 am

Sparkle, I can show you how to do that, also. Emptying the tank is really easy - had to do it when I winterized this - and it's the same procedure to check/change the rod.

Liz, this is really a simple job that you don't need to pay for - spoken from a mechanical klutz! But if you do have them do it - watch so you can do it next time. The hardest part will be if it's on too tight to get off easily. Someone here is showing me how to put it back on so that I don't need to have trouble taking it off next time! Same now that you have a generator - learn how to change the oil and filter yourself - another easy job!
Beth
Bethers

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:57 pm

For those of us who live where we have to empty our hot water heater and our tanks after 6 months of summer, this doesn't seem like much of a job. HOWEVER...what I really hope I managed to do was totally clear all water out of that hot water heater for the winter that can get (and HAS GOTTEN) to 30 below zero. Also I hope I got all H2O out of my water pump for the winter. Perhaps, if when I rewater it for the summer and water is coming out all over, I will know enough to have the RV dealer winterize it next year! Crossing my fingers here that I did it right!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Return to General Talk