What's in your Kitchen cabinet?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

What's in your Kitchen cabinet?

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:14 pm

What to keep, what to ditch? Questions, questions. You know having a stick house one tends to keep stuff. I know, I know, this topic has been beat with a stick. But when it comes to the kitchen...Will I need corning ware? Pyrex? serving dishes? I'm struggling w/this because I have so much. I used to use it a lot, now not so much but when I get out "there" will I use it again? HELP, sistas! :?:
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Re: What's in your Kitchen cabinet?

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:27 pm

I got rid of most of what I originally brought with me. I need very little. But I'm looking at that new very light weight corningware that I saw at the store. I will not get the whole set - but maybe the 4 piece (2 containers, 2 lids) because of the time I do something to share - and those can be used to serve also. They store inside each other (even if you get the big set) and weigh next to nothing.

I have a 4 piece place setting of silverware and dishes (I use Corelle for dishes). I also have a couple of the larger Corelle bowls that I use for lots of different things - including when I take an item to share. I have some pans I've never used - and need to pare those down. Silly to have so much - after 3 1/2 years, you think I'd know I'll never use them now lol.

But, while I already have way less than most people, and will cut down more - I don't suggest you get rid of everything until you travel a bit and find out just what you use. I do suggest that you look at the lightest weight and easiest to pack. When I first started out, I brought way more freezer/storage containers - cuz I do cook a lot in larger portions, then freeze. But early on I learned to freeze stuff in freezer bags - even soups, etc. Much more fits in the freezer that way. So, I did get rid of most of those storage containers, also. Or have used them to sort and store other items.

It's really hard to tell you what not to keep. I didn't bring along one of those hard-boiled egg thingies (to slice them in both directions) - and that I went out and bought a new one of, cuz I discovered I would use it more than I predicted.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm sure it depends on what your eating habits are. I don't really cook, if I can help it. I have found this trip I need more bowls. Larger mixing bowls & soup bowls. Even tho I'm not baking, even mixing hamburgers for the grill, I didn't have a big enough bowl. And in the AM I like oatmeal. I need soup bowls for my oatmeal. I am keeping a list on my laptop now, which I broke into categories. Have to's, need to's, like to's & want to's. Everytime I think of something I write it down. I'm putting a George Foreman grill in here, and I use my crock pot all the time. I know that didn't help about your serving dishes, :D but I have been surprised how I use the same things over & over. I don't miss those cabinets full of stuff at home. Except the bowls! :lol:
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Mollysmom » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:31 pm

I have Corelle dishes - 4 bowls, 4 little plates and 4 regular sized plates .... Several size mixing type bowls, I don't really cook but I seem to use the big bowls allot ..... I have a couple of ceramic type casserole dishes (make sure they fit in your oven) .... I have 2 saucepans and 1 small frying pan ... an electric skillet (I use that more then I use the fry pan) .... a Crockpot (used that quite a bit) .... coffee maker .... some plastic glasses and "real" coffee mugs .... I brought several containers for the freezer too, but the freezer is so small I end up just using a few of them or I use Ziploc bags .... cooking utensils, forks, knives, spoons etc .... one of those collapsible colanders and collapsible measuring cups ... a couple of small cutting boards (guess they're really mats, not boards) .... that's the stuff I can think of, the stuff I use the most - Oh, my little chopper thingy, I love my little chopper thingy !!!
I brought more then I'll ever use - once I get back to Iowa, I'll ask family if they want the extras, if not I'll take the stuff to Goodwill.
Oh wait - canister things to keep my cupboards organized.
Good luck :D
Oh wait !! I have a cupcake pan and a baking sheet that fits into my oven -
Mollysmom

Postby LegalLady » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:01 am

Bethers wrote: But early on I learned to freeze stuff in freezer bags - even soups, etc. Much more fits in the freezer that way.

I cook meals for my college-daughter to take to her apartment in Boston, she shares with 3 other women and freezer space is at a premium I use a seal-a-meal for individual portions, freeze it flat, then she can store them standing up like books - she fits a lot of meals in her freezer that way.
I would highly recommend it.
Leslie
Boston, MA
2007 Roadtrek 210P
LegalLady

Postby Sparkle » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:04 am

After three years of fulltiming I still carry things I don't use. I have an electric frying pan, but I use the cast iron one. Heavy I know, but I love it. I also have a bamboo steamer for veggies. I've never used it! But I keep it because I know the minute I get rid of it I'll get a craving for steamed veggies. I have a hand held mixer. A blender, a crockpot. I lost most of my corningware casseroles when I totaled my other rig...yes, they do break. Do look at that light corningware set Beth was talking about. It's in Walmart, cost 19.00 thereabouts. Just remember you don't need 8 place settings for dinner. It seems strange to just have 1 or 2 of something, but that's really all you need. There are no dishwashers (not in my rig anyway) so dishes get washed right away, sometimes, :roll:
Sparkle

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:46 am

Gee, thanks. Great ideas. Had not heard about the lightweight corning ware. I'll check it out. I already have an electric skillet in the MH and use it quite extensively. Have to watch it though, it uses a lot of amps. My MH is only 30 amps so have to keep a close eye on the meter.

Beth, hadn't thought about the deviled egg thing so I won't get rid of that. I like those and like to fix to take places. Keep the ideas coming.

I made great headway this weekend in going through cabinets, now I have piles of keep, ??, goodwill, sell. this is fun and such a great time to do it. The things I put in the sell pile, I went ahead and priced it so I'll be ready and not have to touch it again.

Also, did paperwork! Man, o man, where does it come from?
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby soisew » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:47 am

I agree it can be a challenge to decide what to stock in the RV. We all have so many kitchen gadgets...it could fill two houses. The main question to answer for yourself is "how much room do you have". It also depends on how much you cook. If you hardly ever eat out like us -- you'll need more. However, less is always best. Stick to the basics. I'd not get carried away with ever kitchen appliance you own, however there are many ladies that do. Here's a list of what I have onboard:

corelle dinnerware - it doesn't take up a lot of room, is heavy but works for the micro, reg. & convection oven. I have service for 8 because we do end up cooking for a crowd many times but if you don't think you'll be serving many people 4 would do. Once we are on solid ground again I'm taking a set of corelle I have that serves 4.

I use regular corelle and favorite coffee mugs so we actually have 4 corelle, his special once cup and 2 soup mugs.

I do have plastic water/drinking glasses that stack. These will be reduced when I reorganize.

1- 6 qt dutch oven pot, 1 one qt. sauce pan, & 1 two qt saucepan

I've actually gone overboard and have some of my cast iron cookware -- 6 qt dutch oven, 6,10 & 12 " fry pans and griddle. And hubby has his favorite non-stick pan for eggs. I will not be taking these out...I'll take out the other dutch oven instead!

I chose to bring 2 glass pyrex baking pans, one rect. and one square. Metal is lighter but doesn't go well with the conveciton/micro and I do use the combo function

1 pie pan and 2 round cake pans - metal

I small cookie sheet and 1 small pizza pan that will fit in the micro/convect.

2 corning ware casserole dishes with lids, one large and one small

for electric appliances I have had more but I took out most of it -- the basics might be: a toaster, coffee maker and waffle baker. I have had onboard a mini chopper, blender and toaster oven but found I did not use them and the space they took up was ridiculous. I have a large crock pot onboard but I don't use it often enough to justify it, instead I used my 4 qt pressure cooker. (both of them will go out when we move into the house)

Keep the small kitchen tools to a minimun -- set of good knives, wood spoons, spatulas, can opener, etc. RV drawers are small.

I pare, slice, dice the old fashioned way with a knife and cutting board. You can take all the fancy do dads but you may find it is easier to go without.

A few food storage containers -- be realistic and don't take a lot and do yourself a favor and keep the lids on them, nest them smaller inside of large so the lids won't end up lost.

I can't live without my salad spinner so I took out things in order to have it onboard.

Once you start packing your kitchen you'll find out what you'll need and what you don't. And, especially after a few months when you reorganize. Just think basics and what you use all the time & see what fits. Sadly many times what we want onboard just won't fit so we have to change our cooking habits. I fully suggest you keep your counter clutter to a minimum. We have to little of it in an RV that even a toaster gets in the way.

I make sure I have room for everything to be put away when rolling. Anything loose left out is a lethal missle when out on the road. I know people do it but all it takes is a hard stop or swerve, big bump and it all goes airborn unless it is actually screwed down. Sticky mats and the sticky earthquake putty may help but in a large event the forces of energy you'll be subjected to will break everything loose. And that brings up another important point. Try to keep everything heavy stowed low to the floor. In "bad" events the cupboard doors can come open and everything will be on the floor or on the way to your head.

If you should happen to find your cupboards aren't full -- pack them tight to prevent things from moving around. pack in small pillows, foam sheets or paper products to keep things in place. I have my corelle in a large tupperware bowl so they don't bump against anything.
soisew

Postby Bethers » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 am

I'm sitting here laughing about what are basics to some -lolol - Shell - a waffle maker? I haven't made waffles in years and years. But if you do, yes would be a basic for you. That just proves how we're different. I wouldn't need most of what you listed :)

Being single, I have a very small individual blender. I wouldn't be without my crockpot, but now that I got my micro/convection, I'm going to get rid of my toaster oven. Something else to not have to store :) Oh, and I wouldn't be without my little mini George Foreman - didn't even know they made this size - and I love it - had the big one in my house.

Wish I could easily get rid of my carpet - then I could get rid of my vacuum that works for chit anyway.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sparkle » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:46 am

I just remembered a tip you might could use...yes, I lived in the South, hear my accent? Anyway, Foil Pans! I have Foil Bread Pans, you can make cakes in them too. And some flat ones, a little deeper than cookie sheet. I use them over and over, then when they get too bashed they can be tossed. They are very lightweight.
Sparkle

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:00 pm

Did anyone mention wine glasses? When I was married I had four real glass wine glasses and they were in one of those plastic boxes, I had paper plates between them. they stood up in the box,.. just fit. Also the same for water glasses. i don't care for the plastic taste. We had regular coffee mugs, too.

I used corelle dishes, had basic silverware and two saucepans, and two fry pans. If I was still married and had the big 5th i would have the george foreman grill and slow cooker on board.
Cedar518

Postby MsBHaven » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:15 am

Good question Carolyn. I'm so proud of you for continuing to work towards your departure date. Pricing as you go is an excellent idea - that always takes so much time if you wait until everything is done.

Assuming our plan is still to go full-time, I'm going through the same thought process. I think we would take the toaster oven since DH uses it a lot. Maybe the George Foreman grill, not sure. The crock pot will go. The bread maker will not go. Two saucepans, one skillet. Corelle dishes. Corning ware. Toaster. Griddle. That's it for "BIG" stuff I think.

I've pretty much narrowed down which clothes will be going - not many. I think 5 pairs of shoes will suffice, maybe.

I'm wondering what to do about some "prints" that we have framed. Roger has 3 that he likes (I will gladly part with all of them) and I have one.

Other than the actual time and work to get everything sorted and disposed of, I don't think it is going to be painful - I think it is going to be liberating.

P.S. Today's discussion was about towing the Honda or the Miata in a trailer. I like the idea of having a convertible 8-) with us. So, our discussions are continuing :roll:
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby Sparkle » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:47 am

Margie, I'm glad you are having these discussions. We were rather hard on you when you first sprang your news at us. Like you, I think we were all in shock. It takes a big man to admit he maybe made a mistake, even if he didn't quite word it that way.....so congratulations. Isn't planning the best fun!
Sparkle

Postby Bethers » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:30 am

Margie, One comment about towing a trailer - you will stay at lots of places where you'll have no place to put that trailer - and it really would limit you at cg's. So, if you're intending to full-time, I wouldn't suggest that method. But that will depend a lot on the type of places you want to go to. So, if you want the convertible, get yourself one you can tow 4-down. (There is a convertible 2 spaces from me that they tow.)

I love seeing how and what everyone else needs. Sometimes it makes me think I need things I don't have - then I think, but I never even considered that until I read this LOL I'm a little curous on taking both a toaster and toaster oven?
Beth
Bethers

Postby kelpie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:55 pm

I have Correlle dishes also - I bought them at a garage sale and they are not a complete set but that's okay. For appliances, I have a toaster (50 cents at a garage sale) an new immersion blender (haven't used it yet but think it will suffice) and a small crock pot. I have two saucepans, no lids, two corning ware casseroles, one small cookie sheet, one 8 cup muffin tin(i love muffins) and plan to take the 9 x 9 square pan. I also bought some of those disposable alum. pans to use in oven and like Sparkle I plan to pitch them when they get icky. I absolutely love homemade soup and am still looking for a dutch oven or soup pot to take but don't want to spend a lot. I will check secondhand store and good will Later this week. We have a plastic outlet store here and I stocked up on lots of nifty containers for food and spices. I also have a set of cheap mixing bowls, stacking plastic bowls for salads and cereal and a few storage containers for leftovers etc.I have been spending this week and last making all my preparations for leaving my house, buying supplies and packing. I leave in 5 Days - whoo hoo! I guess when I get back from this trip I will know for sure what I need and do not.
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Next

Return to General Talk