More San Carlos & Guyamas

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

More San Carlos & Guyamas

Postby asirimarco » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:57 pm

We've been busy driving around the area. Yesterday we found a lot for sale in a prime area with view of water. Only US $500,000 and it was barely big enough to build a house on. Beautiful view though - its the piece of land at the bottom of the picture. Have to build at least 2800 sq foot house. Good luck.
Just some of the scenery and organ barrel cactus - love them.
Then in town we found a little restuarant that fixes just American food, Maria's, had pizza but it was too spicy for me - anyway the walls are all painted with cartoon characters from ads, funny papers, comics and TV - remember Nancy and Spike? The Pep Boys?
Did you see the moon last night? Beautiful! a couple of pictures of it.
The sunset wasn't pretty though - guess it didn't want to take away from the moon.
Went into Guyamas today to spend time. Drove in the back way along the bay. There are so many places like this - it could have been beautiful
Found another little town back there on the bay
Went to the Ley grocery store there - sell everything from cabbage to matresses
These people are in line to buy fresh made tortillas - the government just froze the price stores can charge for them.
Part of the produce section
Some of the pastry display
Left the store and drove around town a little - this is the main street
And we saw some of the busses like I remember
I will post some pictures of Guyamas in the Interesting Places section later after I cull through them and load them.
I really like going into the older towns. The colorful buildings, the music and the smells. Lots of people downtown today - whole families from Grandma to baby. One building we found was built in 1840 and is being restored by grand, grand, grand sons of original owner - have pictures later.
We'll be here at least until Tuesday when we think we will go to Alamos - a "Magical Town" later....
asirimarco

Re: More San Carlos & Guyamas

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Can't wait to see pics of Alamos. That's where Erindera, my neighbor when we lived in Alaska, came from and had a second home. We vacationed with her and stayed 2 wks there and attended the music festival. Erindera and her sisters cooked up allot of food and sold it at the plaza in the evenings. They bus hundreds of people in every night for the festival. One nightthe musicians strolled all around town singing and playing music and the entire town follows them and sing along. At certain places they will stop for a few minutes, but mostly they continue to walk. It was allot of fun.
AlmostThere

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:45 pm

Another great trip report Carol! What do you think the story is with that building with no roof? Was it never finished, or demolished for some reason?
Cedar518

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:19 pm

Great pictures, Carol. Just curious, Do you speak their language? I'm sure they understand English but I wondered since you are there for an extended period if communicating in Spanish was helpful.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby asirimarco » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:46 pm

to answer a couple of questions - my husband Bill was born in Argentina and lived there until he was 24 - so Spanish is his first language - i can understand a little but my head has never been able to learn it. He says I miss so much.
Also the unfinished buildings - they are all over the place. Don't know what the story is - most look like they were started and never finished.
asirimarco

Postby carold » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:48 pm

Carol, I am REALLY enjoying this trip with you. carold
carold

Postby snowball » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:19 am

Hey thanks for the road trip!!! so enjoyed it
sheila
snowball

Return to General Talk