A Very Happy New Year from Mexico

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

A Very Happy New Year from Mexico

Postby asirimarco » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:12 pm

Just some thoughts on Mexico and a few more pictures - this time a slide show I hope
Doesn’t seem possible that yet another year has passed. How quickly time seems to go as you grow older. So first order of business is to wish everyone a Very Happy and Healthy New Year.
As always the sights, sounds and smells of Mexico continue to captivate us. I love the colorful buildings. Everything from purples to bright greens and every shade in between. Not only the buildings but the iron work of the gates and patios. The billboards advertising such mundane things as mayonnaise are amazing. The signs on the buildings are full of color and drawings. Flowers are blooming. Hibiscus in many colors surrounding the white beach homes. Petunias in pots everywhere, huge bougainvilleas growing wild with blooms of red, purple, salmon and yellow. The ocotillo is leafing out and starting to get it red blooms. Ocotillo limbs, for lack of a better word, are used for fencing – so now all the fences are groaning. The stately palms are loaded with green coconuts. We continue to be amazed by the number of unfinished buildings. Wonder – are they in the process of being built? Have they been abandoned and are now falling down? Or were they started and for some reason never finished? No way to know for sure. As we drive through the countryside we see massive and ornate gates of stucco, iron work or brick. Beyond the gates is a dirt road leading usually to either nothing or to an deserted building in the distance. They look so forlorn with their empty windows and crumbling walls. Lots of public transportation and now most of the busses are very modern – and fast. Have only seen a couple of the old school bus types – and they are usually not running any more. And dogs – so many dogs – seems like most are female that just had puppies. Can't forget the great handicrafts that are for sale. The iron wood sculptures, the colorful woven blankets, purses and hammocks. And the pottery - I wish I could buy all of it. The colors are magnificant - so pure and vivid.
The other day when we were driving to San Carlos Bill mentioned that every country seems to have a distinctive smell. I quickly agreed. We had just passed a fire next to the road. The farmers were burning the field. So Mexico’s smell – lets see. What comes to mind first is meat cooking. Whether it is meat turning on a spit for tacos al pastor or bbq in a big drum on the street corner. Dinner cooking in the homes. Warm tortillas. The smoke from burning fields and burning garbage. In the cities the exhaust from the vehicles, sometimes so thick you can see it. The dust in the air. And here on the coast the smell of the sea breeze – clean and salty with a whiff now and then of fish – fresh and rotting. It is not unpleasant just different. The tacos al pastor remind me of when we were in Navojoa last time – we waited for the meat to be finished so Bill and Jeff could have some. Even some cities in the U.S. have their own smell – I know Los Angeles does – hot asphalt.
And the sounds. The beach has the soft whisper of the waves, the breeze blowing through the palapas, the seagulls squawking. Especially when one sets the others off. The laughter of children playing in the sand. The roar of the fishing boat’s engine as it is gunned to full speed to drive it up on the sand. The chop, chop, chop of a machete as a vendor skins a coconut to fix coco helados. The music from the boom boxes of the beach goers. A couple of days ago we were eating outside at La Palapa and the other diners had their car parked right near the tables with the door open with delightful music that entertained us too. I managed to record some but don’t know how to put it in here. In the campground the vegetable truck announces his arrival with a loud speaker as does the water truck. Trucks and cars driving down the street have speakers that extol –their favorite politician or party, up coming dances, favorite bands, sales - You can hear them way before you see them. Sometimes just words, other times music blaring at the top of the scale. As you pass stores music spills out to the people walking by. Once in the stores there are constant announcements. Of sale items, of people waiting for the rest of their party at the cashier, of new items. Reminds me of K-Marts blue light specials.
Some sights from the pier today - This boy is fishing - he has his line tied to a plastic bottle with sinker and bait tied to the end
Here is part of the catch from a fishing boat - he says they are tuna
The truck is pulling the boat into the water - a couple of seconds later the rope broke
The pelican wants the clam shell the sea gull has
This kid thinks he is the Karate Kid - his friend was taking pictures - he made it down okay
My treasures for the day - wish the yellow one was whole.
Some of the iron wood carvings for sale near the pier
Another restaurant in Old Kino
One of the ocotillo fences that has started to grow and sprout new leaves
Bill going in super meat market in Old Kino - he came out quick - no refrigeration for the meat
And another mural on a house wall - the house is for sale
Again - a Wonderful and Happy New Year to everyone. We are staying in and watching TV.
asirimarco

Re: A Very Happy New Year from Mexico

Postby islandmomma » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:55 pm

What an eloquent post, Carol, and how beautiful the photos are!! Thank you for sharing them especially your thoughts and descriptions. Well, can't beat that but also wanting to wish all of you a happy new year. I am feeling more on top of things: our 3.5 feet of snow is finally melting, I get my motorhome back from the service place next week with the leak repaired (plus a bunch of little stuff), and today was my official retirement day from 32 years in my profession.... I think it will feel good eventually, once I am used to it... :) 2009 will certainly be different. My date of departure to a full time life RV-ing is less than a month away...Amazing!!

jan
islandmomma

Location: Vancouver Island, BC is my home base but have been 'on the road' since April 18, 2009

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:06 pm

Great post Carol,...thanks for your usual wonderful travel report!
Cedar518

Postby carold » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 pm

Loved your descriptions, Carol. I could paint my own pictures in my mind, but did thoroughly enjoy yours.

Happy new year everyone.

And Islandmomma, congrats on your retirement. For some, the change is a challenge, for others, Mmmmm, easy as Sunday mornin. :D carold
carold

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:37 pm

Oh, what a wonderful post - descriptions and pictures.

Jan, happy retirement and Happy New Year

Happy New Year to all !!!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:58 pm

you do so well posting about the mexico and the pictures feel like I tagged along with you!!!
you have a Happy New Year Ok and come back safe
sheila
snowball

Postby Orchid » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:24 am

Happy New Year! It just turned 2009 a few moments ago here in Indiana. I can hear the fireworks in my neighborhood, raising a fuss with my brave dogs. I wish everyone happiness, health and prosperity, monetary, if you like, spiritual if you need it. Cheryl
Orchid

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:04 am

Thanks for the great trip to Mexico, Carol! I can smell and hear and see the things that you are experiencing with your descriptive words!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby dcricket » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:39 am

Carol, absolutely loved your descriptive and visual tour of the locale. Beautiful pics. Sensory overload. :)
Have a wonderful New Year. How do they say it...Feliz Cumplianos (coompleeanyos pronunciation)??
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby Sparkle » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:45 am

Great post, Carol. You should write a travel column. I felt it was there, then the desire to BE there. Don't hurry home... ;)
Sparkle

Postby Carolinagal » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:37 am

What a great post ! As I read, I felt like I was there seeing and smelling everything. As Sparkle said, don't hurry home, keep the post and pics coming.

Happy New Year !!

Carol
Carolinagal

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Great post, Carol....and yes, you should write a travel column......the photos are wonderful!!! And I'm so envious of the fish that guy caught!! :evil: :roll: :lol:
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:59 pm

Carol, you described the sights, sounds and smells exactly as I remember!
AlmostThere

Postby Liz » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:59 pm

Wonderful pictures again...thanks!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Return to General Talk