Retirement

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Retirement

Postby oliveoil » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Lotus-------
I started sizing down in my house in the first room that I always started with cleaning------ & in my home that was always the master bedroom - I started in!
I took three huge boxes into the room--------& put donate-----pack to save----trash or recycle!!
When I had the boxes full--------I bagged up the donate & put in the Back of our PU truck camper------& put a sticky note on it that said donate-------to drop off the next time we were in town------
The pack & save------- went into suit cases---& trunks--- for us to live out of-----as we were getting ready to move right away-------& off season clothes went into the trucks------& the clothes we were wearing went into the labeled suit cases--&--- I had more trash then recycle in the bed room------but found in other rooms of the house I had a lot of recycle things------ so trash went into bags------ & recycle went into recycle containers -- when my boxes were full I sorted --------& put it where it needed to go------ then to the next room--------
I had tons & tons & tons of family pictures------ so I set one hour each day or evening to sort pictures------- & I sent pictures back to the families that they had given them to us---------
I scanned the ones I wanted to keep copies of--------
Then all the main pictures of our own family & kids & grand kids-------- I put out big plastic tubs with their names on the side------ & as I sorted I put their pictures & family pictures into those tubs-------- & then when they came to visit---- I gave them the tubs with their names on the side!
I had tons of quilts-------- & I had my kids & grand kids come & pick what they wanted------& I picked what I wanted to keep & packed the ones I wanted in those bags that suck the air out & you can stack!
I had several complete sets of dishes & pottery & china & crystal---------etc.etc------
I had several antique trunks-------I told my grand sons we are starting you each "bachelor trunks"---- as some day you are going to need dishes & things to set up your own home or apt------ so pick out what ever you want-------
They picked out what dishes they wanted & wrapped them up in the trucks with dish towels & table clothes- etc.etc---- that they also picked out-------- I had several sets of silver---- & they each picked out a set of silver to keep in their trunks!
I had tons of Christmas decorations--------most all had family meaning--------so we went through all the Christmas decorations & they kept what they each had made over the years----- & other things they wanted to keep!!
Then I had lots & lots -of plants & yard art-------- & knick-- nacks-------that kind of thing------- I invited six of my close girl friends over------for lunch on the front porch-----as they house was a mess-from packing & sorting-----& told them to pick what they wanted from my house plants- & yard art------ etc.etc------ each have something they liked & some thing to remember me with----- oh------ they also went through my cook books that I didn't keep or my kids didn't want---- & went through our book collection----------what they all didn't want we sold!
That is just a few of the things I started out doing to size down----------
hope that helps-to get you started!
oliveoil

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Oh gosh, Bec, that's just going to add to my clutter now!! Not really, those are all things that I will use quite a bit. I felt very happy when we talked that I now knew where they were and are coming home tomorrow! I'll have them in time for the FL GTG! yippeeee
You are gonna make it, girl!
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby Mollysmom » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Hey Becky,
when you're sorting through things, be sure and look for that diamond necklace I loaned you, and that ruby ring - I'll take those back if you find them -
HA !!!
Mollysmom

Postby Lotus » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:20 pm

Trudy....Funny girl!! Sounds like something Carolyn would say!! I did find some thousand dollar bills!! I'll bet they are yours also. :lol:

Becky
Lotus

Postby Nasoosie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:30 am

NO NO NO, Lotus! Those bills are MINE!!!! :)

Just reading about all this sorting and decluttering and downsizing has my brain addled (more than usual) and going in circles.

But I love reading about all the possible ways to get my own 'stuff' sorted out.

Keep on talking, you all......I will keep on reading and taking notes!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Sparkle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:50 am

OIC. I thought you were downsizing down to RV size. Yes, it's still quite a job. But also an opportunity to get rd of things that have been there for years not being used. I went from 3200sq ft. to 1100sq ft. which was a big help when I did downsize to 12sq ft. :lol: I am a big believer in lists. I've been know to take out the garbage, come in, write it on my list because I forgot to do it, then I cross it out. Hmmm, definately getting a little weird here.
Sparkle

Previous

Return to General Talk