Where's Jenny? Winchester Bay OR

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Where's Jenny? Winchester Bay OR

Postby SeeyaGal » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:42 am

Well gals we are up to 7 crabs... out of gads who knows! Four were caught this morning and 3 in one trap Yahooooo!! Soooo many small ones and not that many big ones!! :( so glad it is FINALLY picking up! We can get up to 24 crabs.
We have a contest to see who has caught the biggest, so far the biggest one is 8 inches across the back. Ours have just made the legal mark...Whew ;) I got three boiling right now, already boiled one earlier that we caught this morning. One of our cages opened, so we lost all the bait and crabs from that one so now have a turn buckle lock on it so it will not accidently open up. Need to buy one of the propane burners from the Yuma Marketplace next month so I cook the dang things outside!!! I'll be ready next year!! I have a 2 burner hotplate BUT I'm boondocking so no power. I have small tanks of propane for the Bar-B-Q though so need to get the burner for the clab pot.
We went to Bi-Mart yesterday in Coos Bay and bought 2 crab traps and all the stuff for it plus two big bags ofchicken for bait. I'll throw the crab rings out today . You have to stay with the crab rings though because they float to the bottom of the water , they go flat and you sit and wait awhile and then l you pull them up the rings to catch them. Very similar to those mesh wire fruit baskets that hang. If you put it down on the counter they go flat but if you pull it up it becomes a basket. Crabs easily eat the bait and squirm away. With the crab trap/cages they go in a door or hole and the little ones can get back out but the big ones can't. I need to put the floats on mine so I know which ones are mine! There are lines going all over the sides of the docks. The traps/cages are easier because we can just leave them out longer and not be with them. So hopefully the fog will lift and I'll go sit on the dock with a good book and see what I come up with.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby oregontocal » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:51 pm

We used to do a lot of crabbing off the pier in Bandon. Could just drop the crab rings/cages into the water and tie the ropes to the pier. That way we could walk around town, eat lunch at the outside place with the best clam chowder I've ever tasted, and come back later, hopefully for some crabs. Weren't disappointed too often, either. When David was little, he used to love chasing all the little crabs around the pier before we dumped them back into the water. The seals also got into the act by hanging around the pier, waiting to see if they could get some of that smelly bait.
oregontocal

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:08 pm

I did some crabbing down in Mobile, AL,..about 4 years ago. At the state park at the top of Mobile Bay, out on the pier. That was post-Ivan but pre-Katrina. I don't know if that pier is still there now. It was Mehar St. Park. Very small, but nice back then.
Cedar518

Postby SeeyaGal » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:56 pm

Well Gals we have caught a grand total of 15 crabs now. We kept 14 for us and donated one to the crab feed tomorrow night.

This morning a group of guys and gals had a "Pickin" gathering and picked all the crab from the shells. We started at 10 A.M. and after doing the big pot of crabs I went and did my own 14 crabs we caught and was not done till almost 4 P.M.!!! So I picked crabs for almost 6 hours!!! :roll: :o I'm just now getting all the wrinkles out of my fingers! :lol: I was pooped !!! By then I needed that glass of wine at Happy Hour . Oh while everyone was doing the morning Pickin they got to drink Bloody Mary's. They were too spicey for me so I drank my coffee.

This one gal came but mostly came to the Happy Hours and dinners....She's 90!!! Her husband is 75!! I told her she was beautiful and told her I bet you were beautiful in your younger days too and she said " How do you think I got the Younger husband!" :D :lol: :D

We are having so much fun but not being online much because of no shore power and when it clouds up and I have to run the Genny, we are trying to not run it often since it is noisy.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby SeeyaGal » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:55 pm

Our floats with our name on it so we know which crab pot is ours, we have tied them to the dock and also set out in the harbor and retreive them by boat if they are in the harbor.

Dan measuring the crabs to make sure they are legal to keep

This is what a male crab looks like underneth, more of a V shape and a female has a wider marking like a U and not as narrow as the male

10P.M. Coast guard just played taps on the bugle....they do it every night.
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Postby snowball » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:29 am

are we tired of crab yet?
didn't think so enjoy it
sheila
snowball

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:18 am

Yesterday was "Pickin" day and boy was I pooped pickin! So far we have not caught anymore, we think either someone took our crabs out of the traps or the crabs are getting smarter letting the others out because Dan brought up empty pots this morning. I did divide up our crab . I had at least 7 cups of crab meat. Oddly enough I have not eaten any of it yet. :lol:

Today it poured so noone was hog wild being outside....BURRRR!! Hear it is going to be rainy the next couple days. A gal arrived today in a big motorhome towing a trailer that had a truck on the bottom and a boat on top of that and had a Harley on the front of the RV...BY HERSELF!!! Gotta meet her tomorrow!! Hey Trudy she has ya beat on length!!! Talk about hauling!!
Oops down to 50% power , time to go to bed!
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Postby Echo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:45 am

Holy smoke Jenny! If ya can get a picture of that gals rig? How the heck does she get the boat off the top of the trailer by herself???

Ya'll look to be having a great time. If your not gonna eat any of that crab? Then please eat some of that crap for me will ya? YUM :lol:
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:01 am

This is Trish's motorhome with the Harley on the front

here is the special trailer for the truck and boat, I imagine she has a hydrolic thingy to make it come up and down and you can see the truck drives down the tailgate.
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Postby Echo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:34 pm

OMG!!! Both Kelly and I had to pick up our jaws off the floor at those pictures!!! She has got to be as long? LONGER than a tractor and 53' trailer!!! Kelly is the delicate one. She says Trish has more balls that she does! :shock: :oops: :lol: Bet she parks early so that she can get her choice of pull thrus!

Kelly also said that she either had a rich hubby who left everything to her? Or must have won the super duper mega lottery? Or knows her freaking way around the stock market!!! Yep that's Kelly for ya. LOL Hmmmm, maybe she found the lost treasure of the Incas????
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:15 pm

All I know about Trish is that she is recently widowed, I guess she has been part of the R(o)Ving Rods for quite some time, if it stops raining long enough I'll get the facts on her and get her photo in front of the RV. She's just a little gal too! I better keep my eye on Dan, I mean she has all the toys a guy wants :lol:
My friend Bea might get on here soon I told her about the forum.
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Postby SeeyaGal » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Wholy Moly !!! Talk about storms! We had a dozey of a wind/rain storm all last night into the early hours this morning. Dang we were rocking so much I was about to get sea sick and I was on the ground!! :o Rain was coming sideways in sheets.
If I had power last night I would have brought in the main slide! Got Dan to take down the internet dish but he forgot to take the window awnings down so the main slide awning snapped it's straps from the wind and rolled up quick and scared the crap out of me sitting on the sofa talking to my Best friend. Could not put in the slide because we are boondocking which meant we'd have to start the engine to have enough power to bring it in and wake everyone up...as if anyone could sleep through this...HUH!!

Skies are finally clear and the sun is shining so I have internet, another storm is suppose to come through if it says it is going to be bad I'm going to INSIST the side comes in, wind gets under the slide topper and makes a horrible sound. This Turtle is going to tuck inside her shell!!
We're up to 20 crabs caught now, Dan caught two more through the night, ours have been legal but no BIG ones.
I'D RATHER BE IN YUMA!!
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:37 pm

I wonder if Trudy went thru the storm. I was thinking of you both when I heard the weather report last night.
Glad you're safe!
AlmostThere

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:44 pm

Jenny,... If I were your neighbor the sound of starting up the generator or MH or whatever it takes would be fine with me. It's sure better than losing your slide awning in the wind! RV'ers stick together! :D
Cedar518

Postby SeeyaGal » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:24 pm

Checked the weather report on the CB and tonight will be much better, I swear I hardly slept last night. Dan has to get the new straps put on now....think he learned a lesson last night but won't admit that his worry wort wife trys to tell him something and he doesn't listen. Now he has to get two new straps. He said " Well one was really getting bad " and I said "even more reason why you should have rolled them up!" Men! Selective hearing & Stubborn :x !! :lol:

Up to 22 crabs...biggest one caught today 7 15/16 inches just shy of 8 inches but still not the biggest for the contest but OUR biggest!
Aaaah Dan....honey....we're running out of room for the crab hint hint!! Making stuffed Mushrooms with crab tomorrow!
Seeyagal
SeeyaGal

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk