Credit Cards

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Credit Cards

Postby Sparkle » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:50 am

Oh Sheila, I like that idea! Yes I have a SD bank, with a Debit Card and a Savings Account. I have a SD address. I use their Debit Card and do online banking, so it would all be on the one site. Now how much was that Trailer with the vibrating bed and Pole? :D
Sparkle

Postby rvgal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:12 am

I believe that Good Sam's Club also offers a credit card that gives rewards.
rvgal

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:30 am

Liz is so right. That's why I just got another credit card which I promptly put away in a file folder, but now my debt to credit ratio is even higher. Echo is also right - you HAVE to be able to not use them. I've gotten a lot of "freebies" from points on my Chase card for buying stuff that I would have bought anyway such as groceries, gas, my site rental. Instead of writing a check to the RV park I charge my site then make the payment to Chase. It does take a little work but I love beating the system.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby carold » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:10 am

Just posting after a few days away. We do the same as Karen. We have a personal mailbox and put the street address and the # for the mailbox without confusing the issue like putting pmb or po. Works for us. In FL the vehicle registration, drivers licensce bureau and voting registration, all accept our po box. My sister has her address in ND, to keep her vehicle insurance low and has to go back every 3 years to renew her drivers licensce. When my mom went to buy a house, MANY years ago, she had to get her accountant to stipulate that she had enough $ for the mortgage because she had never charged anything in her life and had no credit. Have fun. carold
carold

Postby Sparkle » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27 am

I got an offer from Good Sam recently, but the way I read it I could only use it Good Sam campgrounds and Good Sam fees. But then I didn't read it very carefully as at that time I didn't want one. But that's another good idea, because they are used to people in the traveling mode.
Sparkle

Postby hike » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:21 am

For many years I had only 1 credit card from my friendly credit union. When I made a trip to Alaska with a caravan, I started worrying about only having 1 with me. Several people had their credit card shut off for one reason or another and they had to try to get through to the credit card company to get them turned on again. I didn't have any problem but I worried about it or having my card damaged or something. When I returned, I got a card just for gas purchases at Costco where I get all my gas. It is an American Express unfortunately but I can use it in an emergency.

When I was in the hospital for three weeks unexpectedly, I was not sure if I had made a payment before the due date because I normally pay it off every 2 weeks when I get paid and pay no attention to the due date. I called the credit union and asked them to check it which they did and I had paid on it. They set up a process where if I don't make a payment, they will deduct the minimum amount from my checking account which is backed up by a savings account. Since I live alone and if I ended up sick and in the hospital again or if for some reason when traveling, I can't get internet access, I don't need to worry about a late payment. The credit union has great personal service and I have been with them for 30 years so I trust them to take care of things for me. Just some thoughts. :)
hike

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:54 pm

That sounds like a great idea in a pinch. Just remember, when you make minimum payments interest adds up quickly on the remaining balance.
AlmostThere

Postby hike » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:51 am

Hopefully a long stay in the hospital will not happen again anytime soon. As soon as I got out I would pay it off. Just a bit of insurance.
hike

Previous

Return to General Talk