Mothballed RV? Nope!

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Mothballed RV? Nope!

Postby Getupngo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:02 pm

Just when I thought I was done with the RV for the season, I'm hookin' up the car behind the MH Sunday and heading for beautiful sunny St. George, Utah. The University NPR station is paying for my gas AND hookups for a couple of days, so I'll be researching & interviewing for three public radio stories -- including a profile of the state's first female governor (she was Lt. Gov and assumed the top job when the incumbent left to join President Bush's admin.).

I just love her -- she was kicked aside at the convention the next year because the MEN here couldn't stand having a woman in charge -- AND she had an 80% approval rating! (grumble ... mumble .... #@!$~^%&*#!!!)

After applying for jobs ... I just realized today I'm starting a new career -- freelancing. I've been looking for someone to "hire" me, but this way I can enterprise and come up with things I WANT to do. Then I can take off and travel when I want to (or do both at the same time). So I bought a new digital recorder today so that I don't have to borrow equipment to work (I already have mics, cables and such). Next: expensive sound editing software .... and business deductions (YAY!).

My heart's desire is to pitch stories to NPR. I just need to sharpen the ol' tool and I'm lucky to have some terrific mentors.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Re: Mothballed RV? Nope!

Postby Sparkle » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:37 pm

Janice! Fabulous! You are really LIVING! Congratulations, and we all want to hear "the rest of the story..." So keep us posted about your career.
Sparkle

Postby Bethers » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:41 pm

Oh how very exciting. Like Sparkle, I, too, am all ears for the rest of the story.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:05 am

Good for YOU Janice,..... I'll be waiting to hear the next "chapter!'
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:40 am

How exciting!
Do keep us posted.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:56 am

good for you!!!!! Keep us posted.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Nasoosie » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:53 am

WOW, Janice! What a great opportunity for you! And I love your idea of freelancing and your being able to 'design' your new career!

Keep us posted! Happy travels!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby carold » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:09 pm

How exciting, Janice. Everything is moving in the right direction. Sounds like you are already sharpening up those skills. Love listening to NPR. Will be listening for your name. carold
carold

Postby Getupngo » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:25 am

Well, I'm back home safe and sound. It was absolutely gorgeous in St. George, and I stayed three nights at the Snow Canyon State Park campground. The red rocks were fabulous ... and my interviews went well, all except with the former governor ... she's living down south because she has developed a fatal lung disease due to the particulates in the air in the urbanized areas up north.

She was so lovely and gracious when I made the appointment ... but no one answered the door when I showed up. I called and left a message asking her to call me. No response. I'm really worried that she fell ill, because this is not like her at all.

When I left yesterday, I got only a couple of miles and heard this AWFUL metal screeching sound. I thought maybe I had a brake caliper caught up ... or a wheel bearing that had gone bad in a big way (ca-ching$$$$). So I called Good Sam -- again! -- and they sent a roadside mechanic. After waiting over an hour, he finally got there and found that the shroud around the brake rotor on my TOAD had been bent in and they were rubbing. So he used a tire iron to bend it back ... and away I went!! Whew!

I got a really late start, and I conquered another fear ... driving my rig at night. I got on the road and figured I'd stop before or just after it got dark. Well ... I kept driving and driving ... and did almost five hours in the dark before I got home. So good to be in my own bed!
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Liz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:36 am

Glad you made it safe and sound, Chris. Where is Snow Canyon State Park? Sounds like a place to add to my list.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Sparkle » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:38 am

I've stayed at the Snow Canyon campground. Loved it. I met a nice lady, June, there and we went on the Rangers walk. There are names and dates 1800.s written in axle grease on the walls. We left after the tour and struck out on our own, and got lost. June said I see footprints! I asked her if there was a skeleton at the end of them. We ended up climbing the canyon walls to get out of the gully we were in. Nice little adventure.
Don't you hate screeching noises? Since I smoked my brakes I've been hearing this weird noise. Sounds like cloth rubbing on cloth. I have to turn the music up loud to mask it.
Sparkle

Postby Getupngo » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:53 pm

When I had that mechanical problem yesterday, I considered going back to the campground, staying overnight and driving back today. What a mistake that would have been.

As it turns out, today, we are having HIGH winds. YEEEK! Last night was beautiful and clear and the air was mostly still all the way home. So here's to taking the opportunity we're given!
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Liz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:45 pm

Sparkle, you should really have those weird noises checked out (not mask them with music). After the trip where I smoked my brakes the mechanic (I think he said "turned" them) adjusted them, although no damage was done.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Sparkle » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:05 pm

Okay, I'll try to get to Quartszite and then get them checked. I'm always afraid when I say I've done something like that they charge me for the most expensive job possible. Its not really loud, when I get going I don't even hear it.
Sparkle

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:49 pm

I'm glad you had a good trip with the one exception - hope you find out that the lt gov is okay - and that somehow dates/wires got crossed.

Sparkle, please do find out what's making that noise. I worry because with my bad hearing, I won't hear those strange noises.

I love Utah - just about any and all of Utah - such a beautiful state. I really enjoyed my time in the St. George area and hope to go back one day.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Next

Return to General Talk