Closure ...

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Closure ...

Postby Getupngo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:34 am

Appropriately posted from the Lunatic Fringe coffee shop in Holladay Utah:

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post about the nature of forgiveness and pondered whether I should visit my stepson Ben, who is on likely lifelong commitment at the state mental hospital for killing his father (my sweet DH).

When I got home, my BIL told me the state had granted Ben permission to plant a tree in honor of his father on the state hospital grounds, and asked if I wanted to go to the planting ceremony. I did. Well, It was yesterday, and when Ben saw me he came over and wrapped me in his arms and we just held each other for the longest time. He looked good (read: not like a lunatic) and seemed quite lucid. We expressed our love for one another.

The whole family was there, plus a couple of Ben's lifelong friends. After the tree-planting we gathered in a little park at the hospital, passed pictures of Jim around and told stories. One picture brought up tears, and I got up quietly and walked away, onto a pier over a little pond. I stood there and cried, and then I was filled with this calmness. Jim was there with me.

I'm really glad I went. I was told once that the most intense relationships we have are with those from whom we are estranged. Each time I had seen Ben in the past, there was always a court proceeding involved ... which shoved in my face why we were there. This time there also was the same context, but rather than being punishment-focused, we were remembering Jim and helping Ben cope with what HE had done. I know great healing occurred for me ... I hope it did for him as well.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Re: Closure ...

Postby avalen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:56 am

closure comes when we need it, so glad you had the opportunity to help yourself
heal in a good setting, the tree planting etc., was a good thing for everybody.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Paulette » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:45 pm

Oh Janice, hugs to you. What a brave woman you are. Loving and forgiving and I know that feeling Jim's presence probably helped you a lot too. I am so in awe of you that you were able to do what you did. God Bless you lady!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:56 pm

I really believe Jim came to give your some closure. God bless you, that must have been so hard.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby SeeyaGal » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:12 pm

(((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))
Bless you Janice, finally closure, now you will have true peace in your life .
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:13 pm

I had no idea this had happened in your family. I believe your Jim was there to bring healing & closure. Hugs to you! I am also in awe of your courage & strength.
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Bethers » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:17 pm

Oh, Janice, that is wonderful news. I'm so happy for you. I hope that the feelings you have now stay with you.

Hugs, Janice. You deserve this.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MsBHaven » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:25 pm

Glad you had the strength to make that trip. Hopefully you can hang onto that experience and it will give your some peace.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby Barbzeee » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Janice, as I said before, "You are a strong woman, and I truly hope this brings you your inner peace..and that now you can move on with your life." You have so many roads to travel and lots of wonderful people to meet.. I keep you in my prayers ..That tree will grow beautifully..

God Bless
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby carold » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Janice, I know you pondered about whether to go visit or not. It seems that you made the right choice for your peace of mind. Now you can really move on with your life with memories that lift your heart. And I'm sure that is true for your stepson also. What a wonderful gift you gave both to yourself and to him. carold
carold

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:49 pm

Janice,
I'm happy that you attended the ceremony, and through it, found the peace you so needed. May all your hearts continue to heal and may God continue to Bless you and the rest of the family.
AlmostThere

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:19 pm

((( Janice ))) ....... I'm so glad you are at peace.
Cedar518

Postby Lotus » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:39 pm

Janice,
It definitely sounds as though your decision to go was the right decision for you. I'm so glad that it was a good visit for you as well as the other family members.

Becky
Lotus

Postby Echo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:02 pm

Janice, I was hoping that you would go to see him. Not just for him but for you. Sometimes healing comes from the strangest things that we do. I know it must have seemed like the last thing you would want to do. But it was needed. And as I said, for your healing much more than his.

Take heart Lady, it will still hurt at times but the healing has truly touched you.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby Getupngo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:42 pm

I think it's no coincidence that as I became ready to see Ben, the universe delivered him to me, right on time ... and in a very positive context. Here are Ben and his sisters with the tree. Their father was a very outdoorsy guy, and this tree is the perfect tribute.

God bless us all. janice
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Next

Return to General Talk