Are you cooking ... where ya going for Turkey Day?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Are you cooking ... where ya going for Turkey Day?

Postby pattyk » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:21 am

I'm at the Escapees park in Casa Grande. They are providing the turkey and dressing. 65 people are signed up for the dinner and will bring side dishes. I am planning on making a Waldorf Salad. We used to have that every Thanksgiving. My late husband used to do the turkey and dressing. I'm ashamed to say I have never done one.

One of the gals is making soup from the turkey leftovers and carcasses. We will all share that on Saturday night.
Patty & Sammie, too
pattyk

Postby Liz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:09 pm

I keep hinting to my kids that they should take over this tradition, but they're both coming here with families and I'll be cooking. I'm looking forward to it this year actually...I'm retired and feeling good...so will start tomorrow with baking pies, like my mother used to do. Only one of her traditions was mince meat pie...with homemade venison mince meat...can't find that anywhere. I'll make pecan, pumpkin (my mother made squash), chocolate (#1 daughter's request) and lemon (with fresh lemons from my backyard tree).
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby soisew » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:11 am

Actually right now I'm watching the wild turkeys in the barnyard. Some of the big toms are all fluffed out and strutting.

Later today we head to the Denver metro area to my daughter's place for the weekend. We won't have our big dinner until Saturday because of work obligations. I remember those days...working that is. I'll be helping prepare food so it will be a working weekend.

Shelley
soisew

Postby Barbzeee » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:07 pm

Janice.... Yes ! I am cooking...only for me...and me critters...and hubby can't get down for the holidays...but I'm sure I'll be sharing my thoughts with all of you ! And in saying that... I made an Apple cake and it's sure smelling good.... will post recipe too...(I hear all) even picture..:) So you all don't have to use your imagination :) LOL

Our paths will cross there Woman..and I can't wait to hear all the good things coming your way..(rubbing my crystal ball)

Fixin.... Turkey Legs...(loves dark meat ) and also making dressin' Sweet taters Cranberry Sauce and I am cheating...gonna try canned gravey (I may live to regret that one).... along with Turkey Breast for sandwiches....

Critters are having...Sweet Taters, Apples, Blueberries and yogurt in their dinner.. then we is proceeding to do the "Historical Fallout " but first and foremost must watch the traditional Macy's Day Parade...........along with that movie.......oh my...I'm ready....

God Bless

Zeee....exhausted just thinkin' about it :o
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby pattyk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:38 pm

Barbzee, You have a great day with those critters. It sounds like you have it well planned.
Patty & Sammie, too
pattyk

Postby mtngal » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:19 pm

Wednesday afternoon update.....my "unstuffed" stuffing is finished, green beans are blanched and waiting for marinate in the morning, while truffles are waiting to be rolled and dusted to be a birthday present for Chef N tomorrow. How's it going for the rest of you out there? :)
Diana
mtngal

Postby Bethers » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:26 pm

Well, I was only supposed to be in charge of rolls and butter - went shopping yesterday and bought fresh bakery dinner rolls - a couple different kinds - that I'll stick in the oven for a minute to warm them up just before going to our dinner.

Then, I passed a Sweet Potato Pie - and I knew that the only desserts that were coming were 2 pumpkin pies (and I'm not a pumpkin pie fan) and I've never made sweet potato pie myself, so decided, store bought would do - picked that up and an apple pie LOL - Might not be home made, and I actually like my apple cake even better - but I'm going to manage with bringing store bought.

Was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner tonight, but passed. I've been fighting a cold and want to be healthy for the one tomorrow :)

Enjoy all - I've spent more Thanksgivings than I can count alone or helping feed others, etc - or working - it seems strange to be having so many to share with. And, to me, it's not who I'm with on Thanksgiving that matters as much as remembering the reason behind the day - and giving thanks for all the blessings in my life.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Shirlv » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:40 pm

I will be going to my daughters for dinner. I am roasting a turkey breast and making stuffing for home, can't imagine not having sandwichs for a couple of days after Thanksgiving. Wishing everyone a happy holiday and continued blessings.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby Gentleladybear » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:42 am

Put the bird on about 11 last night and slow cooked it all night. Woke up to cooking turkey this morning. Pies are baked, cassaroles are done. So cooking the fresh white acre peas today, making dressing and gravy. We will have about 20 here for dinner. So hope we have enough food. (laughing) Everyone will have a to go box to take home for sure.

Thanksgiving to me is a very special holiday and always has been. When my husband was alive, both sides of the family gathered and we all shared the day. I cooked the turkey but they prepared all the side dishes. It was always a day filled with sharing and caring. We had anywhere from 50 to 75 there for the meal. So today is a minature version of that long ago day.

Everyone have a blessed Day.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Previous

Return to General Talk