Halloween Dog Parade at Ocean Beach

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Halloween Dog Parade at Ocean Beach

Postby Redetotry » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:40 am

http://video.signonsandiego.com/vmix_ho ... id=2325342

My friend lives in Ocean Beach, CA. and sent me this video. I loved the big black and white dog pulling the wagon, wonder what breed (or breeds) it is. I think my little Winnie thinks she is this size. I lived in San Diego in the mid eighties and loved the weather, way too much traffic then for a mid-west girl can't imagine what it is like now!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Re: Halloween Dog Parade at Ocean Beach

Postby oregontocal » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:46 am

Redetotry,

Thank you for the video. I have a very good friend in Ocean Beach whom I always spend a lot of time with when I'm back in town. She lives in a tiny little house six blocks from the beach, so we walk down to watch the sunset every night. She has turned that hobby into a photography business, making and selling greeting cards with O.B. pictures. Ocean Beach is a place that prides itself on keeping its 1960's feel. However, lately it seems that progress is sneaking in quickly as they now have a Starbucks and various other fast-food chains there. There's a wonderful Farmer's Market every Wednesday afternoon/evening throughout the year with food booths, craftspeople, and musicians. The dog beach is great for all kinds and sizes of dogs as they have a huge area all to themselves. Yes, there's a whole lot of traffic most of the time and the roads are only two-lane. But compared with the freeways and other very busy streets in San Diego, O.B. still seems like an island to itself.

The Ocean Beach Pier - I believe this was built in the 1960s - pretty good restaurant at the end.

Enjoying Dog Beach

Enjoying the surf

Entertaining at the Farmer's Market

Hodad's, probably the most famous hamburger joint around,. Always packed and noisy, with license plates all over the walls and great food.
oregontocal

Re: Halloween Dog Parade at Ocean Beach

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:58 pm

I lived in San Diego in the 60's until I retired in 1999. I had to laugh at the guy saying OB was "laid back". You bet it was - in the 60's you could get high just walking thru the alleys in OB and Pacific Beach. I actually lived right on the beach for a couple of years. When I retired I couldn't afford to live in So Calif and the traffic and crime had gotten really bad. I still miss the weather, tho. The dog pulling the wagon looked like it was a st Bernard. Thanks for the pics of the parade. I really do miss sometimes the California vibe.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Return to General Talk