I'm hooked!

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

I'm hooked!

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:00 pm

This week alone in the RV has been one of the best vacations of my life! Even with my previous neighbors :roll: , I have absolutely loved it. I really do want to get a rig that I'm comfortable in hitting the road alone. I keep thinking a Class C would be more comfortable for me. I have driven trucks pulling horse trailers before. I never did get the hang of backing them up, but as long as I was going forward I could go anywhere. I say this because I'm not a a total sissy girl, but I'm just not comfortable driving this Class A.

So I need help doing research to find which rig would be right for me. What do you have, or what would you like to have, & why? Is there a certain brand you like better?

Living in this one for 2 weeks has given me a better idea of what I like, & what I don't like. But you ladies are the ones who know. It would help so much if you would share with me which rig you like, & why. :D :D
NakedPupsAndMe

Re: I'm hooked!

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Oh, don't get mad at me - but what is right for me might be totally wrong for you. I LOVE my Class C and when it gets replaced I'll most likely go with another Class C for many, many reasons.

- Cost and ease of maintenance work - the Ford or Chevy chassis makes maintenance less expensive and easier to get
- Ease of driving - I can drive this anywhere
- One vehicle - I don't tow, but have a scooter on a hitch (eventually I might tow a car, but we'll see :) )
- Don't have to leave my vehicle to go potty, fix lunch, etc - just pull over and move to the back
- Dog gets to ride in the back in comfort

I have a small (22') Class C- and wil probably move up just slightly to 24-26 feet next time, but like the small size because I like that I can go anywhere, on any roads, and stay anywhere with this size. I don't need bigger for just me. In fact, I discovered I had extra storage space here, so kept buying things to fill it - which was stupid, as I don't use some of them and now am getting rid of things.

All that said, many would want bigger, or want a TT or A or 5th wheel - for many other reasons. I love tt's and 5th wheels, but those for me would be things I'd want to use if I maybe travelled twice a year - not to travel all around in - but again, that's ME - not others. I love Class A's for some things and almost got talked into buying one this past March (the price was almost too good to pass up) but in the long run it would have been wrong for me and the right buying price would have quickly been eaten up in maintenance (I've been able to get oil changes for $30 - no way I could do that with an A or a diesel.

I don't know that the C is really that much easier to drive than an A - some say the opposite - but if you don't have a problem driving a truck (like I didn't) this is just really comfie. I like the big picture window in an A - but I'm paying way less for air conditioning this summer than an A with that big window (and I can heat or air condition my rv with the rigs air - no need to use the generator and roof air).

Think long and hard about what is best for you - took me a long time to decide for me - and took me longer to find the perfect floor plan for me - I'm going to have a heck of a time when I replace this one, cuz while it's only 22' long, it really is perfect for me!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby oregontocal » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:15 pm

I[m with Beth about the class C, which I've now lived in for almost two years. Mine is 23 feet and I also tow a pickup behind. That's okay and I'm now used to it. However, there's all that extra gas from pulling the extra load. So, I'm thinking seriously about driving only the RV to Kansas and using the work shuttle, my bike, and my feet to get around. We'll see.

This rig is small, but just right - easy to drive and maneuver, but would probably be even easier without the toad. But, I agree with Beth--what's best for me might not work for you, so just try some out, see what you like the best.
oregontocal

Postby Mollysmom » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:29 pm

I'm glad you're so happy !! What an exciting thing to discover :)
Are you sure you don't want to keep what you already have ? That'd be the least expensive option !! Would taking driving classes help you feel better about driving it ?
If you just don't want anything that big, ask yourself if you can comfortably live in a smaller rig - if so, a smaller class A or a class C or maybe even a B would be the way to go.
You need to make a list of what you really need to have - then what you'd like to have and look for a rig that has the "have to's" and the most "like to's"
Just be sure to spend some time in whatever you're thinking of buying - pretend you're using the bathroom facilities and the kitchen - see what's involved with set up, I don't think class C's have leveling jacks so you'd be driving up on the leveling blocks - I'm not sure if they have stabilizing jacks either so I don't know what they're like to live in - maybe rent one to really check it out.
Good luck with the journey !!!
I'm glad you've had such an awesome 2 weeks :D Yee Ha
Mollysmom

Postby oregontocal » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:31 pm

My class C doesn't have stabilizers or leveling jacks, but the little lego-type levelers are very easy to use. I've had them stacked three-high a couple of times on one side.
oregontocal

Postby SeeyaGal » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:15 am

We have a huge Class A Alfa Seeya and it's wonderful for two people and a hubby who used to drive tour buses & city buses so it's a peace of cake for HIM to drive. I on the other hand do not like driving it and God forbid anything should happen to the Hubby I would rather go to something smaller . I have always liked the Sunseeker by Forest River 28ft & 31 ft. Like the shower better in the 31 ft. Not too much over hang behind the back wheels. Auto jacks would be nice and a Onan genny
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby carold » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:37 am

My DH and I have been fulltiming in a 29ft Class C for 3 years, find it easy to maneuver and go just about anywhere, plenty of storage, etc. Most people can't believe that we both live in such a small rig, but for the most part, it has worked -except for the 10 almost divorces :lol: :lol: . Sporadically, we look at larger Class A's, but so far have kept our $$ in our wallets. More room and larger refrig, shower, closet space does look inviting, so no telling. We rented before buying to try them out. Take your time and good luck. Whatever you decide, you're gonna love rving. carold
carold

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:21 am

I know that if I trade up from the Chalet to do more traveling in the future I'll be looking for something like Beth and Chris have. 22-24' class C. I was all for a 5th wheel in the past as I've owned three and shared a 4th. But as a solo gal now I'll opt for the pure convenience of maneuvering and setup/tear down of a C. I've been in Beth's and really love her floorplan. You are right Beth, you 'll have to look a long time to find one as nice as yours. The slideout makes so much more room. Re: leveling jacks,... carrying a couple of boards or the lego things is no big deal. Just one less thing to have go wrong. I use boards with the Chalet,... got so i can eyeball it right on nearly every time. Very easy, nothing to worry about.

so,.... tune in a year or so from now when the sale of this place is closer to reality,... i wonder if my ideas will still be the same?
Cedar518

Postby Shirlv » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:47 am

I have a 1999 26' ft class c. Since I started rving late in life, this will be my one and only. My only complaint, I wish I had a walk in shower. I have the couch instead of the dinette and the oak built in entertainment center instead of the cabover bed. I do not have a window in the cabover because I read that there are problems with leaking. I have a walk around bed. Would I like more storage, oh yeah! I have storage under the rig but only if I want to carry my broom. :lol: I bought a steel hitch hauler (which I couldn't lift off the ground) returned that and bought an aluminum one. Now have room for extra sewer line and small gas grill. I love the ease of handling (I took a lesson on backing up) pulling over for potty breaks, lunch when on the road and the security of just walking up front and driving away if needed. If I were looking for a new rv, I would buy the same lenght but I would sit on the toilet and get in the shower first. lol Good luck.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:50 am

Thanks for all your input! I want something I am completely comfortable driving & setting up alone. If DH chooses to come, that would be great but not necessary. I am going to go "tire kicking" & pay attention to the floor plans & brands. I like the idea of making a list of "must haves" & "like to haves". Also renting one to take out by myself to see how I like it. I knew to come to the experts! ;)
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Sunseeker » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:20 am

Mine is a 26 ft. class C also. It is like driving a van. I opted for the entertainment center and storage instead of the cabover bed. I have a sofa instead of a dining table, and it's a slide-out that makes lots of extra room. I travel with a wicker chest that holds dog food, and toys, etc. and doubles as a footrest and a table surface. The queen bed is in the back and I can walk around it to make it up.

It is perfect for me to drive and I have lived in it for 3-4 months at a time. The shower is useable, but small, so I mostly use shower facilities at the campgrounds.

This summer I added a BF and another dog. We found only one person could move around at a time if you didn't want to bounce off each other or a wall. It works well however, since we spend most of our time outside. I have a folding table under the awning outside that holds my toaster oven and double range electric burner. (Hey, why waste propane and dirty up inside when electric is included in the site rent)?

Here is a view of my rig:

and the outdoor kitchen. Oven and burners are under the red checked table cover. I had something going in the crockpot in this shot.

We also travel with a small refrigerator and it completes our outdoor kitchen with the ice maker perched on top of it.
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby avalen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:54 am

I'll be looking at class c also in a few years though, not now. I like the 24 to 26 foot
size with a slide for sure. Although I'm comfortable driving a big class A, I like the
idea of getting into the more remote places with a smaller rig, and for just me
and the dogs I don't really need a big one. Besides, if I had a big class c, I might
get stuck hauling around the relatives :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:38 am

I have a Gulfstream Ultra Supreme 31' C with the entertainment center rather than the cabover bed. Mine also has a drawer that pulls out over the cab. It had a small mattress which I threw away and now use for storage. It has a pullout pantry. I don't have a slide and really don't miss it - less things to go wrong. I, too, use the lego levelers and find them easy to use. Have a walk around queen bed that has storage under the bed. I tow a Saturn cause it can be towed wheels down. I couldn't be without my car as I like to do a lot of sometimes long range sightseeing when I'm someplace. I'm not sure I could live in anything smaller cause I also have to big labs. I looked at A's but the cab felt intimidating to me and seemed like it would be hot. The overhand on the C's keeps the cab cooler and shady unless you're driving directly into the setting sun. I also liked the safety of the C's. Can just pull over to eat or potty without getting out of rig and if something makes you uncomfortable, you can just drive off. I also put my icemaker and convection/microwave oven outside on tables. I have never seen any other Class C that has so much outside storage. I have compartments that go all the way around the rig but some are used for the generator, two extra batteries, the sewer drains, the LP tank but that still leaves me with mucho storage. Maybe too much? The only negative I can think of is that the rear of my rig doesn't slant upwards like many of them and came from the factory with drag bars under the back end which DO drag going into driveways, etc. I've gotten used to the scraping sound. I keep looking at other rigs and have yet to find one I like as well as mine. I LOVE living in mine. No yard work at all!!!!!
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Barbzeee » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:07 am

Micki, My motorhome is set up for dogs.. I have crates installed and anchored on a platform.. so when I drive everyone is up and I don't have to worry.. also that's where they eat and sleep.. they have plenty of room inside the coach to perform their little tricks.. LOL and I have a good side shower and bath room.. I have the dinnette table as one it's multi purpose.. can be used as a bed or can be used flat down and put crates on.. (Always thinking dog shows) My couch opens to a bed too and my slides are good size.. a lot of room inside.. I also took out the passenger seat as my DH really never liked going (till now) and I have a freezer there.. as the frig freezers are not good size and I have an ice maker that takes up space.. It's not fancy as far as decore..I wanted practical.. and all that glitz was too much polishing for me.. I have carpet in the living room area and laminent flooring in the kitchen..I took out my washer and dryer as I didn't need it.. I mean if you are in a campground use that and get it done quickly.. and beside you need storage space.. I also have tire pro as that made another job easy for me.. not having to constantly check tires.. it checks them for me..
LIke I said in my morning column to you... make your list of things you have to have..and go from there... and check around because there are good buys out there.. I mean if you buy new..well..you can play let's make a deal.. that's if you are buying "New"...but lots and lots of great deals as people buy and find out it's too much for them.. check ..check ..check..

Can't wait to hear when you start doing your search LOL we is gonna be all ears and eyes here ...

God Bless..

Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby MsBHaven » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Micki, glad you have enjoyed the RV lifestyle so far.

I think there are some basics to sort through before purchasing any rig. What will it be used for? Camping? Traveling? Living in? Full-time or part-time? One person or two? How many pets? What will you feel comfortable driving? Those answers will make a big difference in your decision.

Like Trudi said, sit in the rigs and see if they will suit you. Can you accept using campground bathrooms or do you need one big enough that you can use? Do you need an oven?

We've had travel trailers, a Class A, and now I have a Class B 22 foot. I'm the primary user of it since DH stays home. I see myself as a "traveler" now, not a "camper". I am either driving or sightseeing every day. I feel so comfortable driving it - - on my most recent trip I ended up on narrow country roads and I had no problem. I don't have to tow anything because if I am in a campground for a few days I just unscrew the electric cord, leave it on the ground, and drive off - - very simple to hook up when I return. Being only 22' I don't have or need leveling jacks. I don't have enough strength in my hands to have to deal with hooking up a tow vehicle or a truck towing a 5th wheel.

I love the freedom of a small vehicle to park in a really parking spot or travel narrow back roads. My GPS recently got confused and I ended up on a dead end road in the middle of a corn field - - no big deal, I just did a 3-point turn. U-turns are easy too. Mine has a small walk-in shower (I never use a campground shower), a generator, microwave, (no oven - I rarely cook), sink, air-conditioner, HDTV that runs on 12 volt with an inverter or the generator or campground electric. The diesel engine gets 22 mpg.

Really study the various floor plans - having the right one is very important. Good luck with your decision.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Return to General Talk