Lincoln Homstead State Park, Ky...

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Lincoln Homstead State Park, Ky...

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:42 pm

Today Donna & I drove to Springfield to tour the Lincoln Homestead.....(left the guys at home....they aren't much at looking at old log cabins.... :lol: )

The first few photos are of where Abe's father was born and raised... and the next few are of his Mother, Nancy Hanks, home.....

Then the bonus photo....

The Goodyear Blimp flew over the house this evening.....The Rider Cup Golf Tourny is in Louisville this weekend..

Enjoy!!!
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Re: Lincoln Homstead State Park, Ky...

Postby SeeyaGal » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:06 pm

I just love pioneer buildings, we are so spoiled compaired to the women who lived in the 1800's. No way would I survive with the chores they did! :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Gentleladybear » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:54 am

Very good pictures. I visited the last home of Lincoln's father that is below Champaign Illinois a few years ago. It has been made into a beautiful park there. This was the last home President Lincoln visited prior to his assassination. The father's gravesite is not far from this location. I love to visit old homes like this, it is like stepping back in time for a little while, before we jump back into our modern little RV's and move on down the road.

Thanks for sharing.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:30 am

Love the log cabins! That 2 story one looked pretty big! Thanks for the pics of the info boards. I love reading that stuff. :D
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:50 am

There is always something special about a log cabin. They seem so warm and inviting. Great pics,....!
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:09 am

ohhhh, I remember visiting that place with my grandmother when I was 10 years old.
Would love to go back and visit again as I have a better appreciation for things like
that now.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby oregontocal » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:57 am

I've been in a log cabin (kind of a huge one, though) for the past three months and loved it. I hadn't realized there was a place commemorating Lincoln's father. Looks like a must-see.
oregontocal

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:42 am

I love it. Would love to go there sometime myself. I've visited most of the IL Lincoln stuff. And last year I was at Lincoln's sons (Robert Todd Lincoln, I believe) house in Vermont - more modern, but I love the history involved. It's too bad that there are no direct descendents of that family anymore.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:41 pm

and willing to go into politics hopfully he or she would be a honest abe 8-)
sheila
snowball

Return to General Talk