Winter in Mexico

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Winter in Mexico

Postby asirimarco » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:12 am

We are starting to talk about wintering in Mexico. Cannot leave the motorhome just sitting here in the woods for another winter. Any way - we've spent time in the Alfa on the West coast of Mexico and now want to spend some time in the central part and on the East coast. Any one been there? Info about roads, campgrounds (ha ha) etc. Any one like to join us?
asirimarco

Re: Winter in Mexico

Postby Redetotry » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:43 am

"Any one like to join us?"

Are you kidding!!! Just reading your journal about your adventure down the Pan American Highway I was holding my breath. You all would probably go places and do things that would have me shaking in my shoes :o :!:
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby SeeyaGal » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:14 am

We stayed at the Bumville RV Park in Guanajuato, took the bus into town- mostly boondocked power very low here
San Jose Del Tajo Trailer Park Resort in Guadalajara- tight spots but doable for the Alfa, good power
Do you have Mike & Terri Churches Mexico travel book.....it was our Bible to driving the roads and finding campgrounds in Mexico, I have it posted in my Links. YOu HAVE to see Guanajuato!!! San Miguel de Allende is awesome to see, not sure what campgrounds are close by. Roads are pretty good, as you know we have a Alfa too...people kept wanting tours because we look like a bus!!
Will research where we went later and pass that info to you.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:36 pm

I highly recommend you get the book on just where you're talking about by Mike and Terri Church. They have a regular Mexico book and another on Baja (which I should have received by now - new printing on it with revisions). I didn't order the one for central Mexico as I was planning Baja for this winter until my plans changed. I did get their Alaska book. Oh, the book for Mexico includes a chapter on Baja, but for those interested in Baja, there is an entire book just on that area.

They spend every winter in Mexico and have great knowledge. I met them and picked their brains a bit at The Rally I went to last spring - and I know that Jenny (Seeya) knows them also.

You can buy it from Amazon - here's a link to Terri and Mike's page - and it has a link to Amazon to purchase:

http://www.rollinghomes.com/mexico%20book.htm
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:50 pm

Terri & Mike are good friends of our's and we do not go to Mexico without their book! Mike and Terri LOVE to go to Mexico every year and know Mexico well. We have been on two trips with them. The books are worth their weight in gold as far as we were concerned. Terri has updated the books to let you know if they are BIG RIG friendly. Terri & Mike travel in their camper/truck or their Bigfoot Class C motorhome. They also had a RV in Europe but I think they got rid of that. They just purchased a lot at the SKP park in Benson AZ in 2006.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby asirimarco » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:03 am

When we went to Mexico spring of 07 (was it only last year - done so much since) any way we had their 2nd edition and the updates from the web. Yes very useful. Was hoping there was a newer then the 3rd edition out. One place we stayed was just outside of Queterero the Aztec RV - we had stayed there our first trip in 1978 - From there we drove the jeep to San Miguel Allende - would like to spend more time there beautiful place as is Queterero - love the old city there. Wondering about reservations as we've not traveled there lately in the winter?
asirimarco

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:08 am

Carol,
This won't help you for this winter, but I just was on the phone with Teri Church about their Baja book which they owe me - and I asked when they would have a new version of the regular Mexico book. They are going to be spending this winter travelling through that territory again and then will be rewriting that book - so it'll come out next year about this time (they redid the Baja book last winter - which is what they are now ready to ship to me.) Unfortunately, I won't be doing the Baja trip this winter as planned, but at least I'll have the latest book.

I'm looking forward to attending as many of their seminars as I can at the Albuquerque rally this spring - which is when they'll leave Mexico - to come to it.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to General Talk