Solar Panels

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Solar Panels

Postby asirimarco » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:41 am

Need some info about solar panels - Jenny think you said you had them. Does any one else? Are they worth it? What kind and how many? Had to install? are the attached or do you have to set them up every time you stop? etc.
asirimarco

Re: Solar Panels

Postby avalen » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:19 am

I've heard this website to be the best when researching the solar panels.
http://www.rvsolarelectric.com/
solar panels is one of my dreams but I've recently became aware of a wind
generator made for rv's so I'm planning on researching that also.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:16 pm

If I was going to spend lots of time in the SW or Mexico, I would definitely look into them - but I'd need to increase the # of batteries I have also - in order to have it work well.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby SeeyaGal » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:38 pm

Carol we had three 120 watt solar panels put on the roof and they are attached and made so we can lift them up and tilt them to the Sun once we are sitting still, they still charge in the flat position. We had a inverter put in and we have 8 total batterys. If yours is like ours the wireing to attach the panels is in the walls to your pantry if you have the open bath. Not sure where they would be if you have the Private bath. Might have to check the Alfa Forum for answers. Inverter was put in the wall just below your door that checks your monitors in the hallway. I think RV solar attached ours, we had it done at one of the Escapades. Our Tropi-Cal also had solar panels and we had those attached at Solar Bills in Quartzsite.

We really like them especially when we Boondock in Mexico, Alaska and Quartzsite because they keep our batterys charged and we flip the inverter switch and can watch TV. We use the genny for the microwave. I really enjoy them in areas where people do not like to hear the genny.
This photo shows Dan putting up the solar panels in Q, 2 are up and he was about ready to put up the third oneImage
Ok here is a roof top view of my panels...please excuse the dust on them, need to clean them once we get to Seaside OR
Last edited by SeeyaGal on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby snowball » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:44 pm

We also have them started out with two added one more while in Q last winter hubby wants to get another as well as 2 more batterys. We have also looked at the wind power as Ava mentioned. They look good also and think a combo would be good. We also run our generator for micro. We like them did have them mounted flat but found that they worked for us better at a slant. Usually they are mounted on the roof but in "Q" saw all sort of set ups some just placed out on the ground. Saw one on what appeared to be a storage shed. To each there own.
sheila
snowball

Return to General Talk