Sunday at the Pow Wow

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Sunday at the Pow Wow

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:30 pm

My daughter and I went back to the Pow Wow this morning for the prayer service. Cody "Little Hawk" Swimmer spoke about how our souls have no color and that small children don't see "color." The service with the flute music in the background was very special. After the prayers they had the Grand Entry and Circle Blessing. It amazes me how the small children stand so still, no fidgeting during the blessings. It always strikes me how well behaved the children are at these Pow Wows. I have seen fathers carrying small babies, both dressed in their regalia, in the dances.

Note the sunglasses.

The Aztec dancers' headresses were beautiful.

Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: Sunday at the Pow Wow

Postby Lotus » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:54 pm

Karen,
Sounds like a very special service. Someone mentioned in your earlier post about how Indian's also show respect to women. Years ago my Mother was in a nursing home (Alzheimer's/Dimentia). If anyone has experienced life in a nursing home, there may be some residents who make continual noise when they sit by banging on something or by verbalizing sounds. One day I visited Mother when an Indian husband and wife came to visit, to talk to the whole group, and to play music also. It was so amazing that once the husband started speaking, the entire group was quiet.....even the noise-makers. His voice was very respectful and sincere to the group. During his entire talk and then into the music, this wonderful group of people was just mesmorized by his voice and then by the music. It's as though he reached into their soul and comforted each individual. I saw a look of understanding and brightness in my Mother's eyes. Afterwards I asked my Mother how she liked the talk and music. Her eyes were so alive as she told me it felt as though his words and music reached every part of her body inside and out. She then said this is the only time that everyone is quiet (when this couple visits) and it is so nice to not hear the noise (of residents) for a little while. She said I wish they would come everyday! At that stage in her life, Mother typically could not express feelings such as that.

I spoke with the couple afterwards sharing my reaction (much of what I just said) and he told me that Indians are raised from birth to respect and love their elders, and that is one reason they visit nursing homes and other groups to share their love and respect to people who at this point in life may not have anyone.

Thank you for sharing the Pow Wow with us as it helped me to also remember my special visit with Mother that day.

Becky
Lotus

Postby MsBHaven » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:33 pm

Thanks for the Pow Wow follow-up. Karen, did I tell you that my brother bought me a very large turquoise bracelet when we returned to Cheyenne. Every time I wear it I think about him and what a good time we had together. By the way, he is going to grief counseling now.

Becky, that was very interesting information you wrote about your mother and the nursing home. It reminded me that my brother and sister-in-law had sent me some Indian music to play when I was going through chemo treatments. It was the only thing that calmed me down when my fears were running rampant. I'm looking forward to going to the Pow Wow in Mt. Juliet - maybe you would enjoy it too.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby avalen » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:00 pm

what beautiful pictures
and Becky, your post is very moving, gave me a warm loving feeling in your words.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Lotus » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:09 pm

Margie, let me know when the Pow Wow is, and depending on schedule, I just might take you up on it.

Ava, thanks for your kind words. There definitely was a lot of love at the nursing home that day.

Becky
Lotus

Return to General Talk