Hitch Cargo Hauler

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Hitch Cargo Hauler

Postby Shirlv » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:26 pm

Some times I could just spit. I leave on Friday for a week at the ocean. I have a 26' Class c which has no storage. I bought a hitch hauler at Lowe's so that I could carry a small gas grill, the tank and extra sewer hose. Lowe's delivered it and I said just put it in the garage. Yesterday I open the carton, grabbed the hauler and couldn't pick it up (too heavy). What was I thinking? I found an aluminum one, weighs 27 lb at E. Whitney about $80 cheaper than Camping World. My question, has anyone bought from this company? I can't get it before I leave but want it for future trips. Thanks
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Re: Hitch Cargo Hauler

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:37 pm

I didn't buy that product from them, but have bought from that company with no problems.

I have an aluminum hitch thingie magigie to haul my scooter - I had to look carefully at weights when I bought - both to make sure it would be light enough, and to make sure it would hold the weight I needed. Plus the aluminum isn't rusting in this sea air weather - which is another plus for it.

I say go for it :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Shirlv » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:30 pm

Thanks Beth, I am going to buy it.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Paulette » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:08 am

Whitney's is a safe bet. I'm like you all, have to check the weights on everything.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby Barbzeee » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:17 am

Shirl, I used something very similar that I had attached to the back of my rig... and I would put my Xpens and matts in it plus my grill.. it was wonderful.. but remember when ya back up it's there... a couple times I forgot... Surprise...LOL and no I couldn't lift the one I had put on.. I had to have DH do that..but then I just left it on..and never took it off... till I started towing my car..then I had too.. I have it in the shed.. Best thing going for that Xtra storage space.. Oh and I did make sure I even bungied things in tight...loved the fact I didn't have to lug in and out..just go to the back of the rig an place it there... Mine too like your first one is Heavy..nothing light about it...

God Bless
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby Shirlv » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Barbzeee, Did you carry some kind of container on your hitch hauler, if so what do you suggest? I ordered from Whitney but it will not arrive before I leave tomorrow. My little gas grill and tank will ride in the bathtub. I bought a couple of gorgeous steaks and I am having them on a grill, someones, either mine or my neighbors. :D
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Barbzeee » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:10 pm

Shirl, From time to time I did put a chest that I stuck my junk... but mainly I used it for the Xpens and Matts... You would be best to put maybe a rubber maid heavy duty.. and you fasten it in with bungies.. the heavy ones..cause my hauler had like a cage type floor that I could go underneath.. it wasn't a solid floor.. I still have mine in case I go some place local I can just slide it in the bar where my tow was and it locks with a key.. ..Should have used it when we went to the GTG duh... LOL I used mine for years Shirl... I really loved it.. took care of the back breaking job of loading stuff in the rig... and Xpens get heavy..I even had my charcoal and grill in that tub.. and when it rained.. I covered my Xpens with large trash bags before I put them on the back and nothing blew away.. just made sure I wrapped things tightly...Duct Tape did a great job too.. it was the best money I spent... Now that's what I did.. and like for years..

Hope that gives you some ideas.. by the way those steaks sound good LOL

God Bless
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

Barbzeee

Postby Bethers » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:41 pm

I see lots of people come in here with rubbermaid containers bungeed onto some type of hauler. The key is making sure the bungee keeps it on the hauler - and keeps the lid on tight. I saw someone come in the other day with a bbq tied down directly onto the hauler - so that can be done too. Hey, if I can keep my scooter on it's rack with a couple straps - you can put things on with them too. I like the straps I use - and you can get them in various weights - mine are 600 weight - called tie downs - you can get them at WalMart. If I had the type of hauler you're getting, I'd get these - as they aren't going to stretch with the weather.

You saw my scooter on my rv this spring, didn't you, Shirl? You can get as many tiedowns as you need - and they tighten as much as you need for what you tie down.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Shirlv » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:16 pm

Barb, Rubber Maid it is. Thanks for the info

Beth, I did see your scooter, you are my hero. lol I will go with straps. I just wish I had thought of this sooner. I hate arriving and having the bathroom full of junk. Thanks
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Gentleladybear » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:39 pm

I have a hitch hauler on the back of my little 23 foot motorhome for my storage area. I used a plastic zippered box that I bought at camping world on it for a long time but that eventually wore out. A friend of mine built me a fiberglass box (trunk) to go on my hitchhauler. It is wonderful. I carry my chairs, my rug mat, hoses, extension for my generator exhaust all in the trunk. Don't know what I would do without it now. I leave it on all the time. But as Barbzee stated, you always have to remember you have it back there and not hit things with it. I will be out and moving around this weekend, so will take a picture of my trunk and post it.

There are places on the net that sells the hitchhauler and trunk.

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Gentleladybear » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:48 pm

Looked up this link, here is a stow=away trunk that can be used on motorhomes.

http://www.stowaway2.com/product_selector.aspx

Thought this was a great way to have additional storage.

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Barbzeee » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:29 pm

Shirl.... I call them bungies cause really that's what they are..but I use the ones that the truckers use.. as they hold heavy weights.... and they don't stretch out.. they are black straps..thick too... I got mine years ago and still have them... the other type that stretch.. I use them to go inside of my Xpen to hold that together..only but use those other straps to hold in place.. they never budge.. Just becareful cause taking them off.. you need to not let them hit ya.. remove with gloves on... ..LOL Hey I've used these for over 25 years to tie down before I got the hitch.. I had bike rack and had things hooked in... Dog show people find the neatest stuff to use to make room in the rig... LOL I've had as many as 7 Xpens hooked in the back on a bike rack and never had a problem.. Again remember it's behind you... and make sure you re check backing up.... it's amazing the sounds that do happen when you don't LOL

Good night Shirl..

God Bless
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

Barbzeee

Return to General Talk