I am thawing!!

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

I am thawing!!

Postby islandmomma » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:48 pm

I have running water!! I have heat and propane! Had my rig back from the shop for two weeks (was in the shop 2 months!) but access water froze the first night up here (campground is on the side of a mountain next to a frozen lake) so have had to cart water even to flush the toilet! I think I will need to get much handier very quickly! Today, I am doing a surgical excision of the sewer pipe that cracked with weight of the snow!

I have most of my stuff on board the Vixen now but two major things still have me stuck and waiting. One is a passport as I have misplaced mine and my appearance is so different from that photo anyway now that I have gone to short white hair (au naturel LOL). Getting a new passport is a 2 week process.
Also, all the ice and snow have kept me off my motorscooter so I have not passed my driving tests....:(. Hope to get at least the first skills test passed next week and then ride and ride and ride for practice to pass the real test maybe the next week.

That would allow me to leave mid Feb, over a month later than planned but the winter conspired to put up many obstacles and I had a couple of medical/dental issues. Anyway, I was likely unrealistic to believe that I could get all this done, close my business and retire, and set up the DH with all he needs to be able to manage independently, all inside of a couple of months while still working.

First stop is Seattle to see friends for dinner. Then Yakima for automotive service and they will install a motoized lift for the scooter to attach to the back bumper (no such product in Canada). Then well, just south sounds good to me... Maybe AZ if anyone is still around there. My unit and I both need some warmth LOL. Then NM as I have never been there. I still promise myself San Antonio before I have to meander on northward to start my June caravan of the Maritimes (starts in New Brunswick). Next winter Florida and Texas and New Orleans and all those warm spots await me LOL!!

Just thought it was time for me to give an update....:) Now, for NO other obstacles!! I am struggling with wifi and paying attention to the threads you are having on this topic. Had to retype this post three times as it just blipped and poofed into neverland!!! I wonder if a Canadian can access a wireless card like that...? My phone has internet access but it is not the same...We do not have Verizon here...I deal with Rogers for my smartphone (which is WAY smarter than me LOL!)..

jan
islandmomma

Location: Vancouver Island, BC is my home base but have been 'on the road' since April 18, 2009

Re: I am thawing!!

Postby Liz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:07 pm

Sounds like you have a plan. Praying all goes smoothly now. I know you're anxious to get going.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Sparkle » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Woah Nellie - you've been busy! Keep reading the threads and see where we all will be as you get into each State. I know Beth and I will be in New Mexcico in April, then I'll be in Arizona working for the summer. Beth will be North to Alaska!
Sparkle

Postby Bethers » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:09 pm

Sparkle mentioned we'd be in NM in April - you might want to check out coming to The Rally we'll be attending there. Lots can be learned at these rallies - www.therally.com - plus we'd be glad to meet you, then or otherwise, if we're in NM at the same time.

And, yep, you're doing really well getting things done - no need to rush it. But I'm sure you're hearing the call of the warm weather.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Nasoosie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:40 pm

I'm not thawing yet!

Here's what my yard looks like right now, 3:33 pm on Jan. 30, 2009!!!

Duckhouse Pub just now----a bit of a snow 'shower'!

Party Barn just now....3:30 pm, Jan. 30, 09.

VERY pretty out there, and WARM....21 degrees ABOVE zero!!!!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:57 pm

Jan, sounds like you have your hands full.

I'll be workamping from April 1 thru end of Sept at the KOA in Silver City New Mexico near the Gila Cliff Dwellings. Would love to have you visit for a while. My direct email is kewest99@yahoo.com. If you decide to come just email me and I'll give you my cell phone number.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby carold » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:17 pm

Karen, we stayed in a forest service campground near the dwellings in 10/05. Payed $3 night with electricity-what a find. Drove into Silver City. Love that area-ps didn't mean to hijack this topic.

Jan, glad to hear all is, or will soon be will. My sister and BIL had frozen pipes (and therefore grey and black tanks frozen also :twisted: ) on their first time venturing out in their 5th wheel from SD. Got all the bad stuff out of they way right at the start. Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures. Mmmmm, 5 of us browsing around-don't you gals have a life. :lol: :lol: carold
carold

Postby islandmomma » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies! I would love to see the Gila cliff dwellers...Loved seeing Montezuma's Castle In AZ many years ago. I had hoped to be past AZ and NM by mid March but who knows at the rate I am going LOL?? I seem to be enjoying retirement too much and have forgotten how to keep to a schedule of tasks to complete! :) It is like real demands that keep interfering with my enjoyment tee hee. I want to learn to 'blog' too....How did all this technology pass me by LOL??

jan

PS Today I repaired (with wood glue) one sliding cabinet shelf on rollers and the door jamb in the washrroom..... Hot digety LOL!! I even used my convection oven LOL! DH said he will come over on the W/E and help with the wrecked sewer hose...:)...one good reason to let him visit :).
islandmomma

Location: Vancouver Island, BC is my home base but have been 'on the road' since April 18, 2009

Postby avalen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:31 pm

well now, this is good news, you'll be on the road in notime, we have a lot of folks
in our park from Canada, but they usually go back in April and May. But I'll be here :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby snowball » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:07 am

Jan
we should still be here in Quartzsite AZ in the month of Feb and into March... we are right on HW95 and Interstate 10 well close to it Quartzsite is right there
sheila
snowball

Postby Nasoosie » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:20 am

It sounds as if you're making good progress, Jan! Can't wait to see some pictures of you down the road in warmer places! Happy Saturday!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:34 pm

happy traveling to you jan!
Cedar518

Return to General Talk