Portable Ice Machines

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Portable Ice Machines

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:13 pm

Karen,
Just wondering where you keep the ice you make if your freezer doesn't have room for ice trays, it doesn't have room for this ice either? Or do you keep it in a cooler and just keep making more? That's the complaint of a friend here who says he got the ice maker to save space, but it doesn't, as the ice then has to go in the freezer or else he has to keep making more ice before he needs it cuz it's melting in the ice maker.

I must admit that I've loved it here - filling up a freezer bag with ice from the machine for the kitchen every time I get low. No mess, no fuss - but will be back to ice trays when I leave - after I find where I hid them lol
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby sharon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:34 am

Yeah Barb, I know about needing the minerals in the water for the ol' bod, but I figure you get enough from all the coffee you make! LOL!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Barbzeee » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:08 am

Hey Sharon, Them ain't no minerals..them is Juan and his donkey kickin asp :) LOL Strong coffee beans...LOL...

God Bless Ya... wait...retro red ????? RVGranny (Lori and Ernie).. now ya gotta take a picture...and shop Target..that ice maker be cheaper..:)

Zeee..
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby Liz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:02 am

Here's my dollar, two ninety-eight...I rarely use ice, don't like my drinks that cold. One ice cube tray evaporates before I use it. So I'll save my money by not buying an ice maker or distilled water for it. :P
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:52 am

Just get a rig with an icemaker built in!
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby soisew » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:05 am

An RVing friend of ours has one and loves. Her rig has more room for loose stuff (appliance cart filled with stuff) so for them it works. They have a refrigerator with built in icemaker but don't use if for the same reason we don't....

We have an icemaker in the frig but after the valve froze and caused a leak (twice) we just unhooked it. Besides it makes ice from the fresh water tank and is unfiltered before it enters the icemaker. Unless the fresh tank is kept filled with chlorinated water and is filtered it is just nasty stuff. There is no way we are making ice out of tank water! We've been filling with well water here at home so an ice maker is not a good idea. I fill 6 gallong jugs for our drinking and cooking needs here. Our friend uses nothing but bottled water (drinking and icemaker) so if you don't mind buying bottles it works ok but if you used water from what ever campground you happen to be at -- you'd end up with some really weird ice. It's just so much easier for us to buy a bag of ice once per week and maybe cheaper than using the whole ice machine process. I don't know about you but I don't have room to store something like that. When in use it would take up too much space on my already small counter and when moving it would be dangerous to haul loose. I most certainly am not taking up space in our car for it!

So to each his own -- if you have a good water supply, space to set it up and a space to store it, or don't mind buying bottled water...it would be a good idea. But a bag a week already made is so easy and simple!
soisew

Postby Pooker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:30 am

.99 Store - 2 plastic ice cube trays - don't want my wine diluted anyway - cubes are enough for whatever else I might drink - just refill 'em with filtered water I cart from home - voila! more ice cubes! Works for me.
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:05 am

I'm with Pooker on this one,... don't dilute my good "stuff".... hee hee... :lol:
Cedar518

Postby dpf » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:35 pm

Thank you for all your responses and input! :D I've been doing a lot of research on different brands and reviews and it seems that people either love them or have had trouble with the model they purchased. So I have decided that I am definitely not going to buy one on-line because I don't want to take the chance of having to return one by shipping should I have problems with it. When I did my stints has a bartender I know that ice straight from an ice machine is wet and tends to melt quickly therefore we usually "cured" it by bagging it and putting it in the freezer . We have a huge "extreme" cooler and before we take off on a trip I usually have frozen several large chucks of ice to put in the bottom and then the canned refreshments then top it with cubes. If we would take a long an ice maker I think it would keep up with replenishing the cooler and also for ice for water, tea, etc. I am an ice water addict....first thing I do when I come home from work is fill up a glass with ice and water.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Previous

Return to General Talk